Coolest and dumbest game titles.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Scow2 said:
What the hell is with the hate on "Left 4 Dead"? It's actually a pretty awesome title, and spelling it "Left For Dead" would take a lot of meaning out of the title and box-art. (Note: The logo on all but the first run is a zombie's thumb-less left hand). Makes a fun pun.
It can have all of the box art in the world to go with it, it's still replacing the word "for" with 4 childishly.

Oblivion is not even close to comparable, it does not butcher the English language like "Left 4 Dead". A title like "The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" is furthermore and an absolutely regal and epic title, befitting it's fantasy setting.

Johnnydillinger said:
The Good:
Carmageddon
Good? I can't even look at that title without cringing.

That title is utterly, completely camp. And there's actually good camp out there. This is bad, bad among bad camp. No sir, too much irony, far too much irony. Not a good title. It is as bad as "Conker's Bad Fur Day", if not worse.

miva2

Mar 18, 2010
chimpzy said:
Okami. It's one of the typical puns the Japanese love. In Japanese, Okami can be written with the kanji character 狼, meaning 'wolf'. But in the game's title okami is written as 大神, which means 'great deity' and is pronounced the same. But, the characters for 'great deity' are also used to write the full name of sun goddess Amaterasu Omikami, whom you play as in the game. So you end up with 'great wolf deity Amaterasu'
Thanks, i didn't know this!

Z.H.P.?: Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman
I don't know if i should choose this as awesome or as bad.

What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord!?
really awesome title

I don't like the something of something titles

Total War is a pretty cool title, but combined with the rest of the title it sounds a bit weird.

I also liked XIII as game title. Don't remember why, it's just cool.

@ Lilith Slave, you have a very bad taste for names :)

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
LilithSlave said:
It can have all of the box art in the world to go with it, it's still replacing the word "for" with 4 childishly.
Actually, it's not replacing "for" with "4" 'childishly'. And such a "replacement" does not "Butcher the English Language".

Language is phonetic first and foremost. Unlike replacing E's with 3's, replacing "Four" with "4" maintains the phonetic pronunciation of the phrase, and in this game's case, reinforcing the predicament of the game's 4 protagonists. What would you suggest for a title of a game about four people stuck in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, with no salvation in sight?

And OblIVion has a IV right in the middle of the title in a similar play on words.

Also, it's kind of amusing seeing someone with a pink pony avatar accuse anything of being "childish"

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Scow2 said:
Actually, it's not replacing "for" with "4" 'childishly'. And such a "replacement" does not "Butcher the English Language".
Oh? Why? "For" as it is not used as a number, is spelled as 'for', not 'four', and 4 is only used as a numeral. Not as the preposition it as being used as in the "Left 4 Dead" title.

Scow2 said:
And OblIVion has a IV right in the middle of the title in a similar play on words.
But it does not violate the fact that 4 is not a preposition.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Red Dead Redemption is a very euphonious title. Red Dead rhymes, and then Redemption is an alliteration on both of the preceding words. Hell, even just RDR sounds good to say.

Bad one: Two Worlds II.
Redryhno said:
Cridhe said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Actually if you knew the story as to why the series is called Final Fantasy it might completely change your mind on that. It's actually pretty cool when you understand it and a very good title name.
Yeah, but don't you think in the 20-odd years since they released the second or third they could have made some kind of announcement saying they were deciding to change the name? And why do people keep buying them? I can't get through half of one of their games past the first without becoming completely and utterly bored.
You underestimate the power of names.
Think of the airline Airtran.
It was at one time called Value Jet.

What happened was, a Value Jet plane crashed, killed like a hundred people, and Value Jet got a bad rep for it. So, they rebranded everything, shook the name Value Jet, and now Airtran is actually doing pretty good now.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Just came in to mention:

Bad = The Legend of Zelda. It would make more sense to name it "The Legend of Gannon".

There are a lot of good names. Was kind of surprised Zelda hadn't made the list yet by page 2 and figured it should not extend to page 3.

BlackLurker

Jul 27, 2011
I don't think I feel like digging into too much history, so I'll go with recent titles I'm aware of.

Good: Lollipop Chainsaw. Because it's as What-The-Hell as the Game seems to be, and I like it.

Bad: Mario Party 9. When a series has 8 straight sequals, good or bad, it really is about time to let it die. You're about to hit the double digits in naming. Seriously. Enough.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Oh, just remembered Pandora Tomorrow, a sequel to a Splinter Cell game....it sounds just weird and a bit dumb too and not really all that creative (which I'm guessing they were going for)...lol

SaikyoKid

Sep 1, 2011
As far as good titles I can remember, "Zombies At My Neighbors" was always kinda high up in my books. "Streets of Rage" and "Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?" also rank up there too.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I hear a lot of people bring up Final Fantasy, honestly I've always liked the title even though there's never been anything final about it. Although since every new game is featured in a new universe, I always took it as a fantasy that reseted itself 13 times as you can see...lol

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
Big Mother Truckers 2: Truck me Harder.

and no, I'm not joking.
That reminds me of Wargasm. also not joking, but from what I remember the game wasn't awful.

I'd also put Demon's Souls under bad titles, just try to read that one aloud it sounds so awkward :)

Good titles, Half-Life (and Opposing Force, Blue Shift), Portal, Grand Theft Auto

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
Bad Title:
Two Worlds Two-that title threw me for a loop
Good Title:
Dues Ex-I liked the game and the name.

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Johnnydillinger said:
The Good:
Carmageddon
Good? I can't even look at that title without cringing.

That title is utterly, completely camp. And there's actually good camp out there. This is bad, bad among bad camp. No sir, too much irony, far too much irony. Not a good title. It is as bad as "Conker's Bad Fur Day", if not worse.
Meh, I like it and I'm also all for campy games too. See, Deadly Premonition is one of my favourites, and I always considered a guilty pleasure some of those awful pieces of shits like Big Rigs and Country Justice, and another one translated to "Sniper" from its hungarian title, but I'm not sure what its name is because it's an awful polish game really. Point is, I think Carmageddon is a cool title and even if you don't like it, the hilarious tagline might compensate you. The sequel on the other hand... Oh God. It's called Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now. Now THAT is bad-bad.

Also, another hilarious title and yes, this game DOES exist. Not sure if it's either dumb or cool, I honestly can't decide:

Dick Sucks: Terror In Titfield

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
I always thought Chromehounds was a good title for a game. Although metal+animal is always a winner. Take the band Steel Panther. The phrase 'brass monkey'. And, of course, the actual Golden Eagle.

As for crap titles, Z was just downright lazy.
The zinc gibbon wants to have some words with you.

Him and the tin weasel.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Dethenger said:
Red Dead Redemption is a very euphonious title. Red Dead rhymes, and then Redemption is an alliteration on both of the preceding words. Hell, even just RDR sounds good to say.

Bad one: Two Worlds II.
Redryhno said:
Cridhe said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Actually if you knew the story as to why the series is called Final Fantasy it might completely change your mind on that. It's actually pretty cool when you understand it and a very good title name.
Yeah, but don't you think in the 20-odd years since they released the second or third they could have made some kind of announcement saying they were deciding to change the name? And why do people keep buying them? I can't get through half of one of their games past the first without becoming completely and utterly bored.
You underestimate the power of names.
Think of the airline Airtran.
It was at one time called Value Jet.

What happened was, a Value Jet plane crashed, killed like a hundred people, and Value Jet got a bad rep for it. So, they rebranded everything, shook the name Value Jet, and now Airtran is actually doing pretty good now.
Never heard of either so they can't be doing as well as your making them out to be