Cop Blames Videogames For Sandy Hook Massacre

Garland

Sincere Ruffian
Aug 24, 2012
Didn't we just yesterday have a different "I don't want to live on this planet anymore"? I'm so very...very tired.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
"They believe he learned the principles of this - the tactical reload - from his game...When the strap broke on his first weapon (the AR-15), he went to his handgun at the end. Classic police training. Or something you learn playing kill games."
Which game exactly? Mass Effect? I haven't run across a single game where you're taught about the forward assist, magazine release, or misfeed/double-feeds. All of that was more than likely covered in the damn OWNER'S MANUAL.
Actually his mother who loved guns that taught him how to use them for self defence. I can see I'm not the only one that suspects NRA membership.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
"okay, whatever dude, what was that like, a few months ago?"

*continues to play games*

Fappy said:
In what game do you have all of your points leeched from you from your killer? Sounds terrible!

By that logic if a cop had killed him the cop would've gotten "credit" for killing all those children. This analogy doesn't make any sense at all :/
maybe he plays dark souls?

i know i'd be mad too if i played it more often

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Is there any evidence that he was actually a gamer? Like, games. In his house. The article only mentions having a spreadsheet of 'highscores', so all we can assume is that Microsoft Excel makes you a murderer. Which is probably true.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The Plunk said:
Haha. Nice try, Lanza, but everyone knows you can't beat a viking's high-score when it comes to mass-murder.

No, but seriously, this policeman's a dumbass.
That is a seriously tiny arm. that thing doesn't look fit enough to hold up a fork, let alone a firearm.
Also, why is the Escapist reporting a story from a tabloid? Isn't one of the red flags there that the "veteran officer" was not named?

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
I'd say the kairos of his argument is a little off.
CriticalMiss said:
Is there any evidence that he was actually a gamer? Like, games. In his house. The article only mentions having a spreadsheet of 'highscores', so all we can assume is that Microsoft Excel makes you a murderer. Which is probably true.
I think the whole videogame thing is leftover from the the fact that they thought the brother did it at first and the brother of the shooter was a big mass effect fan on his facebook.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"They believe that (Lanza) believed that it was the way to pick up the easiest points. It's why he didn't want to be killed by law enforcement," he continued. "In the code of a gamer, even a deranged gamer like this little bastard, if somebody else kills you, they get your points. They believe that's why he killed himself."
...What? I don't really play any competitive shooter type games, but I've never heard of any games were that happens. Where the hell did he get that idea?

Also if we fallow this reasoning to it's logical conclusion then if Lanza was into jogging then jogging would turn people into mass murders.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Zer0Saber said:
I just found some shocking evidence on what causes these violent murderous outbreaks. Oxygen. Did you know that all murderers throughout recorded history breathed oxygen? That's %100 of them. Much higher than the percentage of murders who played video games. Now that we know the real cause, we know what we need to do. BAN OXYGEN.
Breathing is for the weak! o_O

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Legion said:
Andy Chalk said:
"In the code of a gamer, even a deranged gamer like this little bastard, if somebody else kills you, they get your points. They believe that's why he killed himself."
I am not sure what games he has played, but I wasn't aware that dying in a game took your points away and gave them to the opposition. Does anybody know any games that do that?
Kane & Lynch's multiplayer mode.

And, if he was playing Kane & Lynch... well, that explains everything!

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
After so many games I have played in my time, I should be a killing machine and the bringer of apocalypse.

I just need a gun! Oh wait..about that. Do you have any idea how hard it is to actually hit accurately with a gun in real life. Count as well the weight of the gun itself + the ammunition you got to carry etc. Why would I bother to do that when I can do it safely in a "fictional and safe" place.

Video games creating killers? Take the head of out your ass Mr. police man and think before you speak or throw blame at something. There are some exceptions of course, but those people should be sent to a psychiatrist for tests if they are crazy in the head.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
HavoK 09 said:
New study shows that videogame players tend to have the ability to use logic

Meanwhile cops are unable to aquire such ability even with years of experience!Could these brain using creatures pose a thread to braindead people?

More news at 11
Well I'm sure they could pose a thread but all we'd get is a flame war; now a threat on the other hand, we might as well call them a cult leader with how ferverously the braindead will follow

seriously though, I know what you meant to write, just felt like running with it

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
So one idiot says something stupid. This doesn't mean anything, he doesn't represent anyone... why should I (or anyone) care what he has to say?

DJ_Bunce

Jan 20, 2010
It's as simple as this, Mr Veteran Officer sir - no name, no opinion. Give your name and we consider taking you serious. Hide behind the anonymity of rank and file, and you will just get laughed at before you can even give your two cents worth.

That being said, I use a point card system to incentivise my students into studying English. At 100 points they level up, and get to lord it over their peers.

IT'S THE WORK OF A GAMER IT MUST BE EVIL AND IT MUST BE STOPPED.

Guess what? If I see one of my students is 10 points from levelling up, I give them a new sheet. I call it TACTICAL POINT CARD RELOADING. Guess what, oh Veteran my Veteran, I learned that shit PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.

IT'S THE WORK OF A GAMER; THE TEACHER IS EVIL AND IT MUST BE STOPPED WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

...Fucking idiot.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HavoK 09 said:
New study shows that videogame players tend to have the ability to use logic

Meanwhile cops are unable to aquire such ability even with years of experience!Could these brain using creatures pose a thread to braindead people?

More news at 11
I'm afraid it's come to this....

BAN LOGIC!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DJ_Bunce said:
It's as simple as this, Mr Veteran Officer sir - no name, no opinion. Give your name and we consider taking you serious. Hide behind the anonymity of rank and file, and you will just get laughed at before you can even give your two cents worth.
I do wonder if he was vetted at all or not. Like, if I were to email the same paper anonymously and claim 13 years as a sniper for the Coast Guard, would they run with my conclusions?

He also claimed it was like a "doctoral thesis," so we should probably blame higher education.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
So, videogames are adequate substitutes for police training. Huh.

But seriously, although if all of this does add up as they say it does, it was systematic and score-based. Doesn't make it videogame-inspired. Sports use scores, and as for someone else getting your points, that's bullshit. What violent videogames have you played recently where the opposition actually gets your points for killing you? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

In short, since a kid uses a bit of intelligence when using his weapons, picks a location where he's not going to be shot at by bystanders or security, shot himself at the end and had made a scoresheet of what are supposedly past massacres, vidyogaems caused it.

And actually, I'm surprised a spreadsheet of massacres with scores a) wasn't noticed by his parents, b) wasn't brought up earlier, and c) the guy thought he could do better than the Burmese government.

Final thing - I'm not even f***ing considering the opinion of anyone who isn't in the field of psychology or has done extensive tests anymore. Next it'll be 'bystander says perpetrator adopted stance commonly seen in videogames" or some tripe.