Copyright Lobbyist "Disgusted" By Canadian Politicians

Dr.Sean

Apr 5, 2009
Copyright issues seem most important to the Private sector, that enforces laws that they have no right enforcing. The Private Sector has no right to enforce laws.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Actually read the thread from the source, at first I had also thought it was an actual American, but it turns out it was a Canadian. They have a National organization here by the same name, and even manned by the same retards... it really is a quantum physics mystery!

Btw, the guy actually appears on the thread itself to defend his position. Some rather sharp posters there (along with the usual random injection of ignorance).

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Why are Americans so interested in our politics, anyway? Are they... afraid of us?
Why are the NDP even responding to the inane ramblings of American lobbyists anyway?

To quote George Carlin,
"Somebody's wasting their fuckin' time. Could it be... everyone?"

rated pg said:
The NDP is a very left leaning minority party which has never enjoyed more than maybe 20% support at a federal level. Essentially making them the trolls of the Canadian political scene (besides the separatists).
Haha! How astute. Oh, separatists... when will you learn?

It is unfortunate that we have so many left-wing parties and so few right-wing parties. The left vote is always split, and the right (conservative) wing is more united. That's what leads to crap like this minority gov't we've been stuck in.
But that's a discussion for another time.

EDIT: After a quick wiki session to make sure I fully understood Bill C-61, I have decided that I am against it.

monster at a party

Jul 1, 2009
I'm actually Canadian and I have no idea what the hell everyone is yelling about.
Let's all chill. I even volunteer to make pancakes with generous helpings of maple syrup.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
monster at a party said:
I'm actually Canadian and I have no idea what the hell everyone is yelling about.
Let's all chill. I even volunteer to make pancakes with generous helpings of maple syrup.
Do you do poutine as well????

PuppetMaster

Aug 28, 2009
Avernus said:
monster at a party said:
Do you do poutine as well????
well unless you own all the copyrights to pancakes and maple syrup (respectively) you will be fined $20,000 for unlawful distribution per offence. We are your government. Vive l'Alberta

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
hansari said:
HobbesMkii said:
I think it would be hard to say this had nothing to do with videogames, if you understand that the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act was the basis for the MPAA and the RIAA's attacks on the Pirate Bay....
Anton P. Nym said:
Children, children, children. You just can't absorb the news... it's about changing copyright law to, like, oh, say, impose strict DRM on games and make it harder to release freeware? See the connection now?...
So was this suppose to be like random word association? Where I hear "C-61" and think "oh, DRM's!"

Because (I will say it again) my confusion stems from how this article relates to the video game industry. The article never states explicitly how C-61 could affect Canadian developers.

So excuse me for not having the vast insight that you two have. I live in the States, so I am unfamiliar with this bill. (Oh, if only its relevance had been explained. I could be basking in this pool of knowledge with you!)
As Amnestic pointed out, I wasn't supposing that you would see C-61 and think DRM. Rather, it was that key line which called attention to the DMCA (which probably shouldn't have been an acronym, but rather the Act's full name). I'm from the US, too, so I too never heard of C-61 before today, but if a critic challenges it's authority on the basis that it's a mirror of DMCA, I'm against it. I also associate this less with DRMs, which I think are just sort of a stop-gap solution in an attempt to stymie the response by pirates to the ridiculousness of the DMCA, and more associate it with the copyright infringement attack lawyers and trials that crop up, which as MP points out, turns average citizens into criminals.

Howitttzer

Aug 15, 2009
rated pg said:
The NDP is a very left leaning minority party which has never enjoyed more than maybe 20% support at a federal level. Essentially making them the trolls of the Canadian political scene (besides the separatists).
Pfft, we've got way better trolls than THEM! Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the Rhinoceros Party!

Robert0288

Jun 10, 2008
meh, NDP did this just so they could get their name in the paper. Crazy americans running the conferance played right into their hands. It was as much a political stunt as anything else.

This just raised the NDP's reputation in my eyes.
is an example that it worked. It was also a way to 'stick it' to the americans.
Though copy right law in Canada has been bouncing around alot.

also they're bringing back the party and their calling it the neo-rhino party of canada :D One of their long standing goals is to create of an army of clowns to travel the world promoting peace and laughter.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
hansari said:
What does this have to do with video games?
It has alot more to do with video games than you think. If this law is passed and such restrictions are passed on music, what is to stop these cray copyright lobbyists from doing the same or worse to video games? There is enough DRM and anti piracy stuff on games as it is. As gamers, I think we want it to be taken off, not to be encouraged.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
hansari said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Alright kids, lets calm down here. The man does work here after all, i guess he can post whatever he wants.
Its just that I kept reading this article expecting to come upon an explanation on how the video game industry is tied to Bill C-61...

But I just got educated in Canadian politics...

Is it April Fools somewhere?
dude, this forum isnt entirely based around games. we get a few news about politics, actors n stuff every day.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
"I am shocked that both Chow and Charlie Angus are allowed to openly depart from party policy and directive, obviously just to shamelessly buy votes among young people and academics"
Yes, those young people and academics need to be shown their rightful place! They don't know what's good for them!

I'm disgusted by this guy's disgust. There's lobbying, and there's, well, flaming. This guy crossed the line.