Copyright Lobbyist "Disgusted" By Canadian Politicians

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Joeshie said:
I like how Canadians in this thread are using one American to pass judgement on the entire of American politics and people.

Epic fail Canadians.
Anton P. Nym said:
Joeshie said:
I like how Canadians in this thread are using one American to pass judgement on the entire of American politics and people.
Oh, no... it's far more than just one. Comedian Rick Mercer had a recurring segment on his show wherein he would ask Americans about absurd events happening in Canada and simply recording the responses. (Think of Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" and you're close.) Plus there's that whole American health-care debate line saying Canadians kill off our elderly to save money...

No, it's well-established that J. American Voter doesn't know too much about what goes on outside his own borders. It kinda terrifies the rest of us that the folks picking who gets the launch codes for the planet's largest nuclear arsenal can't tell the difference between Toronto and Turino.

-- Steve
+1 interwebnetz for Steve.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Anton P. Nym said:
Oh, no... it's far more than just one. Comedian Rick Mercer had a recurring segment on his show wherein he would ask Americans about absurd events happening in Canada and simply recording the responses. (Think of Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" and you're close.) Plus there's that whole American health-care debate line saying Canadians kill off our elderly to save money...

No, it's well-established that J. American Voter doesn't know too much about what goes on outside his own borders. It kinda terrifies the rest of us that the folks picking who gets the launch codes for the planet's largest nuclear arsenal can't tell the difference between Toronto and Turino.

-- Steve
Doesn't really matter. All you've done is gone on to create a blanket statement based on the opinions of one person. Maybe if I go up to Canada and find a stupid person up there, I'll just assume that all Canadians are as stupid as that person is.

Also, knowing exactly what goes on in Canada is hardly relevant to deciding who we put in power. Are your voting choices in Canada more swayed by the events in Canada or the events in America? I'm willing to bet it's more swayed by the events in Canada.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Joeshie said:
Also, knowing exactly what goes on in Canada is hardly relevant to deciding who we put in power. Are your voting choices in Canada more swayed by the events in Canada or the events in America? I'm willing to bet it's more swayed by the events in Canada.
America is a world power. It exerts influence on a global scale. It doesn't take much of a dick move by the US to screw over other countries... *cough*softwood-lumber*cough*... You have no idea how many times some backwoods Congressman has hosed entire countries by catering to his/her/its base.

The "Buy American" provision screwed us. The PATRIOT Act screwed us. This border documentation issue is screwing us. The change in Daylight Savings Time screwed us, for Ghu's sake. We narrowly avoided getting screwed by Iraq. Somalia. NAFTA. Free trade. SAC testing cruise missiles on Canadian soil. NORAD. NATO.

Yes, we have our local politics. But as a matter of survival we have to watch that donkey vs. elephant brawl you call a government just to keep from getting trampled. And that sucks.

I think it's perfectly fair to ask American politics to take a good look at the rest of the universe. You might be surprised at what you see.

-- Steve

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Joeshie said:
Doesn't really matter. All you've done is gone on to create a blanket statement based on the opinions of one person. Maybe if I go up to Canada and find a stupid person up there, I'll just assume that all Canadians are as stupid as that person is.
You boggle the mind sir, truely.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Avernus said:
Joeshie said:
Joeshie: While you could watch SCTV and assume that all Canadians wear toques, and like beer, you'd probably be shocked to discover that we have a higher universal literacy rate, more disposable income per capita, a longer life expectancy, and overall better quality of life.

And better beer.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Aerodyamic said:
Avernus said:
Joeshie said:
Joeshie: While you could watch SCTV and assume that all Canadians wear toques, and like beer, you'd probably be shocked to discover that we have a higher universal literacy rate, more disposable income per capita, a longer life expectancy, and overall better quality of life.

And better beer.
I'm not going to get into the debate on which country is better to live in because it's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Anton P. Nym said:
America is a world power. It exerts influence on a global scale. It doesn't take much of a dick move by the US to screw over other countries... *cough*softwood-lumber*cough*... You have no idea how many times some backwoods Congressman has hosed entire countries by catering to his/her/its base.

The "Buy American" provision screwed us. The PATRIOT Act screwed us. This border documentation issue is screwing us. The change in Daylight Savings Time screwed us, for Ghu's sake. We narrowly avoided getting screwed by Iraq. Somalia. NAFTA. Free trade. SAC testing cruise missiles on Canadian soil. NORAD. NATO.

Yes, we have our local politics. But as a matter of survival we have to watch that donkey vs. elephant brawl you call a government just to keep from getting trampled. And that sucks.

I think it's perfectly fair to ask American politics to take a good look at the rest of the universe. You might be surprised at what you see.

-- Steve
I'm not going to try and deny that we do fuck up sometimes. That's completely undeniable. But here's the thing, every country fucks up sometimes. Yes, Canada fucks up. The thing is that you don't have nearly as much influence as America does and so when you do fuck up, less people have to pay for it.

I think you have a this rather distorted view that Canada's problems should be at the top of the list when it comes to electing American officials. Do you really think that our screw-ups concerning Canada really comes anywhere close to the importance of health-care, the Iraq War, or the current economy? No it doesn't and frankly, it never should.

Even if America paid attention to Canadian politics and the "problems" you guys face from us, I don't think it would make a bit of difference.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
Joeshie said:
I'm not going to get into the debate on which country is better to live in because it's completely irrelevant to the discussion.
It's hardly irrelevant, when you consider the enormous impact that policy decisions within the USA affect your two immediately available trading partners. I'll refer you to soft-wood lumber, the oilsands and livestock. All three of those policy decisions on the American sie of the border have caused the quality of living for THOUSANDS of people to plummet, either directly or indirectly.

Joeshie said:
I'm not going to try and deny that we do fuck up sometimes. That's completely undeniable. But here's the thing, every country fucks up sometimes. Yes, Canada fucks up. The thing is that you don't have nearly as much influence as America does and so when you do fuck up, less people have to pay for it.

I think you have a this rather distorted view that Canada's problems should be at the top of the list when it comes to electing American officials. Do you really think that our screw-ups concerning Canada really comes anywhere close to the importance of health-care, the Iraq War, or the current economy? No it doesn't and frankly, it never should.

Even if America paid attention to Canadian politics and the "problems" you guys face from us, I don't think it would make a bit of difference.
Canada also fucks up less, because with a smaller population pool, we have fewer serious fuck-ups running for office. That translates to fewer half-wits, adulterers, ex-intelligence agency bosses, early cases of senile dementia, and sleazy used-car salesmen with a predilection for blackmail and bad coverups. We also haven't had a peanut farmer win an election yet, though.

On the other hand, if Americans paid more attention to the external ramifications of the policy decisions, they might realize that in the little fishtank that is North America, eventually those ripples they cause come bouncing back towards the origin, and fuck shit up some more. It's a form of Causality Cascade, and it can cause a near self-perpetuating chain of consequences... like the Great Depression did, for far longer than it needed to.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Joeshie;

Canada aside for the moment, it may be surprising to you that American elections do in fact have a measurable effect upon much of the worlds attitude and outlook towards the US, your countries political decisions and policies, and even upon the common US citizen. Or it may be no surprise whatsoever.

Historically, when Republicans have been in power it has been of greater direct benefit to Canada in matters of politics and the economy. With that in mind, it's interesting to note that despite what history has shown us, that the vast majority (and I do mean vast) of Canadians were hopeful for Obama's victory in the Presidential elections. You'll find that this general feeling was shared on a worldwide scale actually.

By no means should your decision on who to vote for be based upon something of such little revelance to you, compared to how it will effect your immediate community and State (side note: for the life of me, I'll never figure out why Blue and Red States even exist, the idea of tying your loyalty to one party baffles me).

Anyways, I'm wandering around this subject material like I'm leading a piss-up in a brewery... The real point is that when Americans pay attention to issues outside their own immediate concern, the rest of the world notices that little fact, and actually looks upon the average citizen better for having done so.

Crazy? Yes. True? Most definately.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Joeshie said:
Free hint; they don't hate you for your freedoms. All those mad bombers hate your guts because of the lousy foreign policy the US has followed for at least the last half-century[sup]*[/sup], propping up dictators to get cheap copper and oil, and funding "freedom fighters" around the world like the Taliban and the founders of al-Qaida to win geopolitical chess matches with the Soviets.

That foreign policy is dreamed up by the people you vote in. These are the same people who are quite happy to let said voters think that Saddam ordered the WTC attacks.

It is plainly in America's interest to pay attention to the rest of the world in this era of globalisation. Inattention hits you at the grocery store and the gas pumps, even if it doesn't hit you with explosives. It's a pity that the American electorate is too busy playing partisan power fantasies instead.

-- Steve

[sup]*[/sup]Actually much longer, with stretches of isolationism in between. There's a reason that Central American countries have such a distaste for American governments; they've been shelled too often over the price of coffee and bananas. This isn't to say that the US is the sole cause of misery around the planet; there's lots to go around, and sometimes (such as the Marshall Plan) the US does some real and lasting good. It's just that as a superpower the US does tend to inflict more misery than it ought to, seemingly out of ignorance rather than malice.

Lusulpher

Jun 12, 2009
o//

I believe this is the point where I go, "For great justice."

I simply can't believe a political party is backtalking the corrupt slimeballs who do fundraisers for their useless 2 party system...oh wait this is Canada. Not the country I'm in, for now.

ChaosTheory3133

Jan 13, 2009
Am I the only one who read the story... read it again... and was still like "What is this article about?"

What does an American Lobbyist care about Canadian politics for?

There is probably an issue I'm not getting... and my brain hurts just attempting to think about it so I give up.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
ok in simple terms , in canada online tv shows , hulu , some youtube, last.fm , movies online , netflix etc are blocked in canada due to licence and copyrights laws ... basically we pay for internet and get only part of what the states get , and we pay more too , yeah it's bullshit

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
hey almost forgot , in canada we have a law in which tv and radio must play a percentage of canadian made music and tv , it is to protect canadian and quebec culture but the us can do what they want on radio and tv provided it doesn't piss off the FCC , i know it's somewhat bullshit but things will change when ya invade us ... hey they are working on fucking up the internet and will be moving state side eventually ...