Copyright Lobbyist "Disgusted" By Canadian Politicians

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
Children, children, children. You just can't absorb the news... it's about changing copyright law to, like, oh, say, impose strict DRM on games and make it harder to release freeware? See the connection now?

And as much as I can't stand the NDP personally, I'm glad they stood their ground; I find this idiot from the American Musicians Association even more objectionable. Don't like hard questions or opposing views? Go home to your "death panel" rabble rousers and softball interviews on Fox, and leave Canadian legislation to Canadians.

-- Steve
Exactly. Let Canada rule Canada.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
...I'm confused. Who's opposed to what, and what are they opposed to?
A canadian political party is opposed to a bill that serves no purpose other then letting copywrong lobbies sue single mothers who download a 3 minute song for their children for 200.000.000+ us dollars. They get thrown out by security in a debate about said bill and now the lobby that is trying to push the bill through is "absolutely disgusted" by people who disagree that government spending should be used on useless lawsuits and the copywrong lobby is now demanding that they say "the right of free speech and the right of having an opinion is overruled by you having more money then us, we're sorry and you are absolutely right and everybody else is wrong"

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
hansari said:
So excuse me for not having the vast insight that you two have. I live in the States, so I am unfamiliar with this bill. (Oh, if only its relevance had been explained. I could be basking in this pool of knowledge with you!)
So, an American is unfamiliar with how some groups representing American interests will attempt to use scare tactics, ploys that amount to legalized blackmail, and occasional attempts at lobbying in places they don't even have the legal authority to do so? (if the stakes are high enough)? Irony, thy name is WTO. And Westboro Baptist, occasionally.

God forbid the rest of us poor saps living outside the Glorious Civilization might want to help inform ourselves willingly, when presented with things that could have been spurred by outside political sources. Maybe we're not inclined to let lobbyists from other countries dictate our policies, at ANY point, without the involvement of the electorate.

Glefistus said:
I am a member of the Alberta-provincial and the federal NDP party.

EDIT: And I was against Bill C-61. Thank god it died on the table.

Oh also, to American interest groups, various lobby groups, and pro-reform corporations and entities: Stay the fuck away from our affairs.

P.S. <--- Canadian disgusted by American lobbyists.
I've tried to more involved with the Alberta NDP, but they have so many damn events ALL THE TIME. That's besides' the fact that I was approached to RUN for the Leg... let me assure you, I'M THE LAST PERSON you want getting a public office.

"WHERE'S THE NUKE BUTTON! I need a chubby intern! wHAT'S MY BOOZE TAB? Hey, a squirrel!"

The NDP are still in power in Saskatchewan, last I checked, and they seem to semi-regularly fuck things up in B.C., in case anyone in Canada is interested.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
gof22 said:
Anton P. Nym said:
Children, children, children. You just can't absorb the news... it's about changing copyright law to, like, oh, say, impose strict DRM on games and make it harder to release freeware? See the connection now?

And as much as I can't stand the NDP personally, I'm glad they stood their ground; I find this idiot from the American Musicians Association even more objectionable. Don't like hard questions or opposing views? Go home to your "death panel" rabble rousers and softball interviews on Fox, and leave Canadian legislation to Canadians.

-- Steve
And Britain rule Canada too. Oh yes, we've got a finger in the good ol' Canadian pie. Canadian Politics is a pie in this analogy. Cherry pie.

Capo Taco said:
What's DMCA style copyright?
What's wikipedia? You could easily find that out on your own and writing it all out needlessly seems unnecessary to say the least.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
We've got the NDP as the provincial party in Nova Scotia now, although you weirdo Central Canadians (Ont. & Que.) could probably care less.

Now let us use an analogy for US & Canadian relations: the "Little Brother" scenario. Canada is the little brother of America (not a hat). America does whatever he wants and Canada just follows quietly behind him. But recently, Canada has come out of America's shadow and started to move on his own, and America DOES NOT LIKE.

Take Iraq: America is told by Mom (UN) NOT to beat up the poor kid down the street (Iraq) but does so anyway. Canada thinks this is wrong and refuses to fight. America bitches at him then beats up Iraq and riles up the rest of the Middle East household and sets bad rumors off on the rest of the street (The World).

Now here, America has been accusing Canada of leniency towards pirates, putting us on a level with, say, China (Aaahahahahahahahahahaha!!!). America is worried to death about all the "viruses" destroying his health (the economy, or what's left of it) and sees Canada, feeling perfectly fine, and says "Why aren't you paranoid, like us?". And when Canada refuses to take some iffy antibiotics with bad side-effects, America throws a hissy fit and tries to force them down Canada's throat. To which he punches out America's eye and says "Fuck You!".

So, Canada adopting American legislation on copyright laws? "Sorry, dude...it ain't happening".

Also, quick political rundown: The NDP is a very left-leaning group, next to the Liberals (centre-left) and the Conservatives (right-leaning). There is also the Bloc Quebecois (the Quebec separatists, although they rarely talk of separating nowadays and just soak up the votes in Quebec) and the popular, yet ineffectual Green Party.

Aren't Canadian politics fun? (To which you say "It's politics, of course not!")

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Amnestic said:
gof22 said:
Anton P. Nym said:

-- Steve
And Britain rule Canada too. Oh yes, we've got a finger in the good ol' Canadian pie. Canadian Politics is a pie in this analogy. Cherry pie.

Capo Taco said:
What's wikipedia? You could easily find that out on your own and writing it all out needlessly seems unnecessary to say the least.
He was just asking a question. No need to be a jerk about it.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Amnestic said:
Capo Taco said:
Oh you mean that thing I went to right after trying to pour over the whole DMCA documentation? And wasn't able to figure out how this was relevant to the story?

I'm sorry for not living in the USA and not being a good romanized german about this.

Now is there anyone who can make clear the relevant parts of the Digital millennium copyright act and how that is relevant to Canada?

Thank you.

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
I know jack shit about politics, let me see if I understand here; it's good that the NDP is doing this stuff, right? This bill thingy is a bad in some ways or something, right?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Amnestic said:
The article says "DMCA-style copyright..." Keying in 'DMCA' to my handy firefox wikipedia searchbar has this within the first paragraph: "[DMCA] criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as Digital Rights Management or DRM)"

DMCA style copyright laws=DRM.
Thanks for the explanation, but...
Amnestic said:
Takes less than 20 seconds if you bothered looking for it.
I don't understand...was my English teacher doing something different from all the others?

Cause I was taught to not assume that the person reading my paper/essay would possess the same knowledge that I had. I would lose points if I brought up Orson Welles' "1984" but did not elaborate on its relevance with the topic. Are the standards for writing different now?
Amnestic said:
Capo Taco said:
What's wikipedia? You could easily find that out on your own and writing it all out needlessly seems
So yes, I could have looked up DMCA. But that kind of defeats the purpose of writing an article, doesn't it?
Amnestic said:
In fact, you should probably know more than me as the DMCA is an American law.
The Escapist is an online magazine that attracts many readers. These readers are not uniform in their knowledge of the video game industry. Some know less, others know more. This is something every writer needs to remember. (I wasn't the only one confused after finishing the article...)
HobbesMkii said:
As Amnestic pointed out, I wasn't supposing that you would see C-61 and think DRM. Rather, it was that key line which called attention to the DMCA (which probably shouldn't have been an acronym, but rather the Act's full name).
Believe it or not, I know of the "Digital Millenium Copyright Act"...my familiarity of it though hasn't reached the point where I can recognize it as an acronym off the bat...
Avernus said:
Hansari, I think the title summed it up well with 'Copyright Lobbyist...No worries bud, easy enough to miss these thing...
Doesn't help that the video game industry was never explicitly mentioned...the "American Federation of Musicians" was though, so I thought the article and bill was mostly about the music industry... (Where is the united gamer front in all this? Do we have no organization? What does IGDA do again?)
Mr.Tea said:
Aside the fact that copyright laws have a lot to do with games, does everything on The Escapist have to be strictly about video games and nothing else?
I'm looking at my post, but I can't see where I wrote "BLASPHEMER! This site is for video games only!"...No, my post was asking what this had to do with the video game industry.

Because I honestly did not know. I suspected the articles presence on this site had something to do with video games, but it never explains it. I was unable to infer from the acronym DMCA like you...
Aerodyamic said:
So, an American is unfamiliar with how some groups representing American interests will attempt to use scare tactics, ploys that amount to legalized blackmail, and occasional attempts at lobbying in BLAH BLAH BLAH IM ON MAH SOAPBOX BLAH
What are you blathering about? Take your blinders off and re-read my post. I said I was "unfamiliar with this bill", not corruption in the political process.

Go grind your axe somewhere else...

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Gormourn said:
This just raised the NDP's reputation in my eyes.
Same here Gormourn.

To the representative of the American Federation of Musicians...

I would continue to elaborate, but I'll just censor myself instead.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
From what I see, some Copyright law guy is bitching because he is angry at the fact he can't break into your house and steal anything that is not nailed down. So he demands that everyone that makes him feel bad say they are sorry. And I am drinking a soda that tastes like gummy worms... yeah, and not the sour kind.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
hansari said:
Aerodyamic said:
So, an American is unfamiliar with how some groups representing American interests will attempt to use scare tactics, ploys that amount to legalized blackmail, and occasional attempts at lobbying in BLAH BLAH BLAH IM ON MAH SOAPBOX BLAH
What are you blathering about? Take your blinders off and re-read my post. I said I was "unfamiliar with this bill", not corruption in the political process.

Go grind your axe somewhere else...
hansari said:
I live in the States, so I am unfamiliar with anything that occurs outside of my country.
Fixed it for you. ;)

Glefistus said:
True, but let's face it, the NDP will never win in Alberta.
Strangely, I live in Brian Mason's riding, and while he seems to win his seat in every election, the same riding won't vote NDP in a federal election. I keep scartching my head over that one.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
I like how Canadians in this thread are using one American to pass judgement on the entire of American politics and people.

Epic fail Canadians.

Avernus

Jun 10, 2009
Joeshie said:
I like how Canadians in this thread are using one American to pass judgement on the entire of American politics and people.

Epic fail Canadians.
Yet this very Canadian replying to you stated early on that the American in question is in fact not an American, and is actually a Canadian.

Epic fail for reading the thread.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I love how Canada is the polar (bear) opposite of the United States when it comes to government kowtowing to corporatocracy. My wife wants me to move up there after I finish my degree, and considering I'd meet all of Canada's immigrant guidelines (Canadian citizen family, college degree, and---if I take a few courses to brush up on my French---bilingual), I might just do that.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Amnestic said:
I think assorted would be much better. I wider variety of pies to best represent the multicultural mash that is Canada.

And besides, I'm slightly more partial to pumpkin myself :D

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I guess I'll have to contact my MP and tell him I'm against this bill. *sigh* god damn DMCA.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Joeshie said:
Oh, no... it's far more than just one. Comedian Rick Mercer had a recurring segment on his show wherein he would ask Americans about absurd events happening in Canada and simply recording the responses. (Think of Jay Leno's "Jay Walking" and you're close.) Plus there's that whole American health-care debate line saying Canadians kill off our elderly to save money...

No, it's well-established that J. American Voter doesn't know too much about what goes on outside his own borders. It kinda terrifies the rest of us that the folks picking who gets the launch codes for the planet's largest nuclear arsenal can't tell the difference between Toronto and Turino.

-- Steve