Copyright Shenanigans

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Colt47 said:
Yeah, angry joe did a rant earlier this week I think about the youtube copyright claims going out of hand on his own videos. He even had an interview with the Tomb raider developers get a copyright claim by Tomb Raider.
It has to be stressed at this point that all this is all on Googles head, they have content matching bots running rampant without oversight yet with the power to basically take legal action against everybody, they find a content match and immediately attribute revenue to whichever company is listed under original content.
That is done without consulting the companies, creators or any form of law, yet content creators are then notified that the claim has been made by the company the bots picked out, which is a great deflection from the fact this is done by Google and Google alone.

Not to mention near all these claims are for content that is freely available and protected under fair use law, the only reason it's not illegal is because Youtube is their private domain where they can be pricks all they want.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Mr.K. said:
Colt47 said:
Yeah, angry joe did a rant earlier this week I think about the youtube copyright claims going out of hand on his own videos. He even had an interview with the Tomb raider developers get a copyright claim by Tomb Raider.
It has to be stressed at this point that all this is all on Googles head, they have content matching bots running rampant without oversight yet with the power to basically take legal action against everybody, they find a content match and immediately attribute revenue to whichever company is listed under original content.
That is done without consulting the companies, creators or any form of law, yet content creators are then notified that the claim has been made by the company the bots picked out, which is a great deflection from the fact this is done by Google and Google alone.

Not to mention near all these claims are for content that is freely available and protected under fair use law, the only reason it's not illegal is because Youtube is their private domain where they can be pricks all they want.
Considering who they are annoying, I think this might be even worse than the healthcare government website insanity that happened earlier.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Me55enger said:
Isn't it The Brothers Grimm? as in, two Mm's?
Casadechrisso said:
Grimm, yes. Probably misspelled for copyright reasons too.
Or as a second meta-joke about how Youtube's current copyright-claims system hardly requires the claimant to provide evidence that they even own the copyright they're knocking a video down over.

OT: Yeah, Google has been incredibly stupid this past year. It almost seems like they're trying to force Youtube into not being the largest video-hosting website on the internet anymore.

DaVash

Oct 18, 2008
Alcom1 said:
So what/which alternative should be our alternative to YouTube?
I know Maker studio(polaris) bought blip so they probably have something planned for the site. Maybe they will try to get their youtube partners to move to blip

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
JoJo said:
This is a personal list I've compiled from other people's suggestions, though I haven't had time to check them out yet so I can't vouch for if they're any good or not.
Dailymotion
Their search function has never been any good and their video quality is ass compared to YouTube. It'll do in a pinch, and in terms of pure purpose it's definitely closer to YouTube than any other, but a better site would definitely be nice.

Vimeo
"No screen-captures of video games or gameplay videos, even if edited. (Exception! Game developers can upload examples of their own work. Machinima videos with a story also are allowed, but must be labeled as such in the video description to avoid deletion.)" In other words, great for non-gaming content, worthless for gaming content. They also have annoying limitations for free users.

Twitch.tv
They don't have any means to upload video files; all content is (or was at time of recording) 100% live. This is no pace for edited content, such as reviews, glitch compilations, etc. It's also gaming-specific; you can't really use it for vlogs, rants, movie reviews... if you have more than just gaming content, it's not really a good fit.

Game Anyone
This site seems decent and has a strong community, but it's pretty much only Let's Play type content. No reviews, no non-gaming content. That said, I could see it easily becoming a haven for the LP community.

Blip.tv
They traffic primarily in episodic content. While some gaming videos qualify, it's a lot harder to stay on there. It might be an okay place for some YouTube peeps, but not most of 'em.
[hr]
When it comes right down to it, I can't see any one video site taking YouTube's place, even with the direction YT is going right now. Dailymotion is the closest, but they need to get their act together for video quality and better search features.

My prediction: Twitch moves from a streaming focus to a general gaming focus, allowing for live streams AND uploaded content. Combined with the massive publicity they're getting lately anyway, as well as integration with popular games and new consoles, they're in a great position to just steal the gaming market from YouTube. As for non-gaming content, I think it'll end up divided between Blip for the episodic stuff, Vimeo for the more professional but non-episodic content, and Dailymotion for all the stupid random crap.

Of course, if Twitch doesn't do this, the gaming content will no doubt end up divided between Dailymotion and Game Anyone. Sadly, the only one-size-fits-all video host is a bit on the mediocre side, so I don't see anyone TRULY taking YT's place. Oh well.

P.S. Thanks

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I really don?t get what either YouTube or publishers get out of this, in the best case scenario instead of watching a let?s play one guy will buy the game, in the worst case scenario many people stop buying your products because their favourite lets player has to get a job and can?t make as many videos.

Against my better judgment I have considered making a let?s play, but now I?m starting to wonder or there is a point if all of my effort can be deleted if I accidentally offend the copyright gods.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Colt47 said:
Yeah, angry joe did a rant earlier this week I think about the youtube copyright claims going out of hand on his own videos. He even had an interview with the Tomb raider developers get a copyright claim by Tomb Raider. Blip.TV works as a good alternative, though it doesn't quite have the same level of organization as youTube does.

Yeah I saw that video as well. How can you file a claim against an interview? While I can almost understand these companies trying to oppose the LP vids, ALMOST mind you, I can't see what they hope to accomplish knocking every kind of review or critic site. Maybe it's similar to that demo thread not long ago. They don't want anyone to get influenced about their game outside of the hype they produce with commercials and trailers. Or are these guy mad that someone is making a profit off said review and criticism. It's not like they're raking in millions off their work. I think it's like Rich from Review Tech said; our copyright system is kinda wonky. This in itself more than enough proof. The question is how do we get the ball rolling?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Arawn said:
Yeah I saw that video as well. How can you file a claim against an interview? While I can almost understand these companies trying to oppose the LP vids, ALMOST mind you, I can't see what they hope to accomplish knocking every kind of review or critic site. Maybe it's similar to that demo thread not long ago. They don't want anyone to get influenced about their game outside of the hype they produce with commercials and trailers. Or are these guy mad that someone is making a profit off said review and criticism. It's not like they're raking in millions off their work. I think it's like Rich from Review Tech said; our copyright system is kinda wonky. This in itself more than enough proof. The question is how do we get the ball rolling?
The videos aren't getting taken off YouTube, they're losing their monetization. And most of the claims aren't actually being filed by companies that own any relevant rights, but by random jerks trying to steal other people's ad revenue.

P.S. Thanks

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
<youtube=JQfHdasuWtI>

He says it best. I especially like the bit where it turns out the companies who make these games have nothing to do with it. Youtube its just being assholes.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
RJ 17 said:

It's rather depressing that all this is going on. It won't be long now before Youtube is for nothing but cat videos, fail videos, and cat-fail videos.

And Ray William Johnson. >.>
This is one of the funniest things I ever watched! Thanks for finding it! I'm amazed YT even allowed that. I now want to subscribe to help that guy achieve his dream to BECOME FAMOUS!

OT: I'd like to hear from Gavin about this issue, if Grey is gonna name drop him.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
LordLundar said:
Sad part is the Brothers Grimms works are Public Domain but given how heavily this new setup is being abused it doesn't matter.
The joke is very strange as the Brothers Grimm just collected folk tales, they didn't create any new content...and of course The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs is one of Aesop's fables.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
For fuck's sake: What Google is doing has nothing to do with copyright. The courts confirmed that the original Youtube copyright enforcement model was perfectly legal. This is entirely them fucking over content creators because they decided it was more profitable.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
JoJo said:
I wouldn't be surprised if YouTube ends up going the way of MySpace eventually if Google doesn't sort itself out, it's been a fair few weeks and it still won't let me sort through comments left on my videos that have been 'marked as spam', even though at-least half are innocent of the accusation. Frankly I'm surprised none of them have been removed for spurious copyright infringement either, guess the lack of footage I've used has paid off.
I wonder, is there any drawback of going into full troll mode and start reporting every youtube video and comment?
I'm really tempted to do so.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
octafish said:
The joke is very strange as the Brothers Grimm just collected folk tales, they didn't create any new content...and of course The Goose that Laid the Golden Eggs is one of Aesop's fables.
I'm pretty sure that's the point, since most of the claims - as I understand it - are being made spuriously by parties with little to no actual rights over the intellectual property. I mean, one of the guys I subscribe to got a strike on one of his videos from a page that stole his footage to use on their website.

EDIT: Corrected a few typos.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Boba Frag said:
I see what you did there Grey. Alcohol AND potatoes for Gavin, because he's Irish and that's all we survive on.
How fucking dare you.

You left out the wife beating.

EDIT:

Hopefully nobody will misunderstand the joke and sic mods on me, but for the record, I'm Irish and therefore qualified to comment on our intake of carbon based compounds.
As a fellow Irishman, I laughed.

And then cried.

And then got drunk, picked a fight, sang a song and cried some more.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This strip referenced YouTube. I'm afraid I have to report you (no, seriously, it's probably the law now).

MinionJoe said:
The biggest flaw in copyright law was the addition of copyright renewal.

The original intent of copyright law was to prevent hucksters from copying and profiting off of another's work. Not to perpetually lock-down creative concepts so that they can never be expanded upon.

This strip gets a 10/10. I look forward to reworking it in 20 years. ;)
The idea of renewal is fine. It's the idea of perpetual renewal that's becoming an issue. Few people really foresaw that corporations would be renewing decades after the death of the creator.

Honestly, I dislike the idea of intellectual properties being tied to a corporation, period.

CrazyGirl17 said:
Or is Youtube so focused on making money that it shills out to the copyright police?
I'm not sure shill is the right word. They're more folding. Almsot all of their decisions seem to be based on ass-covering, whether the bare ass is real or perceived.

Sleekit said:
in the US "perpetual copyright" is specifically prohibited by The Constitution.
We're Americans. We don't follow the Constitution.

Worgen said:
Well now is a perfect time for someone else to come around and create a better content streaming site. Just needs to have similar ease of use as youtube.
Consider the scope required to compete with Google, though.

Arawn said:
How can you file a claim against an interview?
When you have a broken reporting system, it's quite easy.

Unfortunately, they make it hard for you to fight it and easy for people to make claims.

Casadechrisso

Jun 6, 2013
Sleekit said:
Casadechrisso said:
Me55enger said:
Isn't it The Brothers Grimm? as in, two Mm's?
Grimm, yes. Probably misspelled for copyright reasons too.
i dunno how you think copyright works but the Brothers Grimm have been dead for 150 odd years...
It was a joke, apparently not obvious enough. Content ID would flag it anyway.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
RJ 17 said:

It's rather depressing that all this is going on. It won't be long now before Youtube is for nothing but cat videos, fail videos, and cat-fail videos.

This is one of the funniest things I ever watched! Thanks for finding it! I'm amazed YT even allowed that. I now want to subscribe to help that guy achieve his dream to BECOME FAMOUS!
My two favorite lines are.

"What? You think Subscriptions should be the first thing on your homepage? Pfffft. That's stupid. You're stupid!"

And

"And now there's Paid Subscriptions! That's right! Now I know what you're thinking: "People have to pay to subscribe to me? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" ........ (continues with the video without arguing against that statement)"

But yeah, a friend of mine linked me to that video and I got a good kick out of it. It's one of those "It's funny because it's so damn true!" kinda gags. He's also got Welcome to Facebook and Welcome to Twitter videos.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Darth_Payn said:
RJ 17 said:

My two favorite lines are.

"What? You think Subscriptions should be the first thing on your homepage? Pfffft. That's stupid. You're stupid!"

And

"And now there's Paid Subscriptions! That's right! Now I know what you're thinking: "People have to pay to subscribe to me? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" ........ (continues with the video without arguing against that statement)"

But yeah, a friend of mine linked me to that video and I got a good kick out of it. It's one of those "It's funny because it's so damn true!" kinda gags. He's also got Welcome to Facebook and Welcome to Twitter videos.
Yeah I watched both of those and the "Welcome to DeviantArt" video. The Facebook one was the best, and got me thinking "My God...[takes off glasses dramatically] It's MySpace all over again."