Corvid-19 and its impact (name edit)

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
saint of m said:
There have been a few news stories going around about a doctor and early whistle blower that seems to have disapeared
As fair as I know, he (Dr. Li Wenliang) died because of the cornavirus. Still, the goverment tried to keep him quiet back then, and the combined news have caused outrage among the population in China.

EDIT: Although it's still too early for a reliable death toll, at least it's lesser than the first SARS epidemic (this one doesn't seem to cause diarrhea or kidney failure).

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I want winnie the pooh to die from this. Someone infected should just run around the office for the lulz.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
China's that asshole in every zombie flick who tries to hide they were bitten, with the same predictable consequences.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Neurotic Void Melody said:
China's that asshole in every zombie flick who tries to hide they were bitten, with the same predictable consequences.
Meh! Did you know how the Spanish Flu had spread in America and France before its first case in Spain? It was called Spanish flu because that was the first country that sounded the alarm. The other countries were too busy with the WWI to give the flu spreading among their troops a major consideration, and didn't want to demoralize the public with the news of an epidemic.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
CaitSeith said:
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Meh! Did you know how the Spanish Flu had spread in America and France before its first case in Spain? It was called Spanish flu because that was the first country that sounded the alarm. The other countries were too busy with the WWI to give the flu spreading among their troops a major consideration, and didn't want to demoralize the public with the news of an epidemic.
A fact that caused it to kill more than the actual war did.

While things have modernized, a large number of Chinese prefer ancient Chinese Medicine (which is why Rhinos and a few other critically endangered animals are remaining there). While there is some truth to some of the cultural cures, most of them will either do nothing or if something does happen its a placebo effect.

Its like vitamins or having cats.SOme is good for the body. Alot is not.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
China's incompetence about the situation reminds me of an old world war 2 stories. basically near the end of the war, the Nazi kept telling the people that there were no Soviet planes in the sky despite the Germans people could clearly see that they were in the air.

like what's the point of lying about the situation when everyone knows you're full of shit?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
tf2godz said:
like what's the point of lying about the situation when everyone knows you're full of shit?
Listened to a Trump supporter recently? It works if people want to believe.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
tf2godz said:
Because, if they believed every previous blatant lie, why wouldn't they believe the next one?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
saint of m said:
Its been getting bigger. I didn't want to be the one to bring this back up, but as you folks did, might as well add.

There have been a few news stories going around about a doctor and early whistle blower that seems to have disapeared, and China seems to be doing things like haveing thousands of pet dogs killed to stem it when its already crsed over to humans

Ho accurate or not those stories are, it seems China is trying to use a bandaid to cover up a festering wound.
It sounds like you expect them to be doing more or something, but I'm not sure what other steps they're gonna take? I mean not that killing thousands of pet dogs sounds like the right way to handle things, but like of their treatments for humans, what's the issue?

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
The Decapitated Centaur said:
saint of m said:
Its been getting bigger. I didn't want to be the one to bring this back up, but as you folks did, might as well add.

There have been a few news stories going around about a doctor and early whistle blower that seems to have disapeared, and China seems to be doing things like haveing thousands of pet dogs killed to stem it when its already crsed over to humans

Ho accurate or not those stories are, it seems China is trying to use a bandaid to cover up a festering wound.
It sounds like you expect them to be doing more or something, but I'm not sure what other steps they're gonna take? I mean not that killing thousands of pet dogs sounds like the right way to handle things, but like of their treatments for humans, what's the issue?

My issiue by and large is the same veneer of safety that the TSA does with terrorism.

They are doing a bunch of things that may seem to be protecting people, but overall is not. It also sounds like this could have been dealt with better on the ground level, but politics (or trying to cover their asses) has kept anything meaningful form happening.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
saint of m said:
They are doing a bunch of things that may seem to be protecting people, but overall is not.
Do you want to talk more about it? Take into account that this isn't the Spanish Influenza,

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
saint of m said:
The Decapitated Centaur said:
saint of m said:

My issiue by and large is the same veneer of safety that the TSA does with terrorism.

They are doing a bunch of things that may seem to be protecting people, but overall is not. It also sounds like this could have been dealt with better on the ground level, but politics (or trying to cover their asses) has kept anything meaningful form happening.
Well, like what are they doing and what are they failing to do?

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Well Korea is panicking at the moment. Just looked at some BBC info they posted on youtube. Th virus has made its first kill in Korea, and the number of confirmed cases has been upped to 50. THe main group that has been hit was a sect of christianity that the virus ripped through like the Doom Slayer on easy mode.

THe grand total count from China seems to also be a mess. Some areas are not counting cases of people who died at home, others are using older models of diagnosis, and some in newer. So the numbers of people who have had the virus or have it could be much lower and the ones that have died from it could be much higher.

@Caitseith: How much of this with the video game companies is being overly cautious, and how much of it is legitimate dread of contact?
Maybe this is just how Americans deal with being sick, but I don't remember too many people skipping work over N1H1.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
tf2godz said:
China's incompetence about the situation reminds me of an old world war 2 stories. basically near the end of the war, the Nazi kept telling the people that there were no Soviet planes in the sky despite the Germans people could clearly see that they were in the air.

There are always some people who believe the lies, especially when they prefer the lie to the truth.

There are stories that plenty of German soldiers were telling their folks the war was lost as early as Stalingrad in 1942/3: the Eastern front was terrible, the USSR too vast and Soviets too numerous. That can only have become clearer as the war went on, particularly after Operation Overlord. But with the nation under political lockdown by the Nazis and the sense of commitment to a task of such magnitude, what could the German people do? A comforting lie must have been soothing to many citizens who knew they were helpless.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
saint of m said:
How much of this with the video game companies is being overly cautious, and how much of it is legitimate dread of contact?
Maybe this is just how Americans deal with being sick, but I don't remember too many people skipping work over N1H1.
You don't remember because you probably weren't in Mexico; but lots of people there skipped work back then, and for a couple of weeks the public transport and the streets were eerily emptier than usual.

Silentpony said:
I saw the zombie virus has spread to Iran and they don't know how. I wonder if this is a Malthusian event
Same in Italy. The authorities there are scratching their heads off, trying to find their patient zero.