Cosplay

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I'd like to cosplay, but I don't want to dress as a Jedi/Sith at a Star Wars convention until/unless I get in shape (Force training is supposed to be physically intense, after all) and I play a lot of WRPGs, so I'm not cosplaying as an OC nor am I going to make an intricate set of armor. That leaves anime characters.

Problem is, I'm no Otaku, so my familiarity with anime is limited. And from what I've seen, there are next to no bearded anime men who are clearly of Nordic/Celtic descent and share a resemblance to Jack Black (no really, that's what I look like).

If anyone knows an anime with a character that one with my appearance could cosplay as, I'd be very appreciative if you let me know. I'll give you a cookie!*

*while supplies last

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
Palademon said:
I'd like to go to the London MCM Expo more often and cosplay, but I don't have the skills or friends required for making a costume, and find most bought costumes tacky.

Although I could quite easily be Otacon from MGS, or Spirit from Soul Eater.

I'd like to eventually cosplay as my avatar Fon Spaak, but that would require way more work, and even some coloured contact lenses.
Ah yes the London MCM Expo, i'm going again this year myself, I didn't know so many actually have been there...

I would like to do some sort of cosplay for something but i'm not entirely sure what I would do. Maybe this...

To put an image you have to put the specific image URL, but from quoting and checking that link for the google results gives me a pretty good idea I guess.

I've only been to the London MCM Expo once, and it's the only convention I've been to. It's nice that it's always the weekened after my birthday so I will always have money for it. Sadly since I've been ill for a while I haven't had time to organise it, so will have to miss the May one this year. However the anime club at whatever uni I start this year will probably make it easy to go to the october one.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Palademon said:
Flamezdudes said:
Palademon said:
I'd like to go to the London MCM Expo more often and cosplay, but I don't have the skills or friends required for making a costume, and find most bought costumes tacky.

Although I could quite easily be Otacon from MGS, or Spirit from Soul Eater.

I'd like to eventually cosplay as my avatar Fon Spaak, but that would require way more work, and even some coloured contact lenses.
Ah yes the London MCM Expo, i'm going again this year myself, I didn't know so many actually have been there...

I would like to do some sort of cosplay for something but i'm not entirely sure what I would do. Maybe this...

To put an image you have to put the specific image URL, but from quoting and checking that link for the google results gives me a pretty good idea I guess.

I've only been to the London MCM Expo once, and it's the only convention I've been to. It's nice that it's always the weekened after my birthday so I will always have money for it. Sadly since I've been ill for a while I haven't had time to organise it, so will have to miss the May one this year. However the anime club at whatever uni I start this year will probably make it easy to go to the october one.
I think it's something with how I get images on google with my iPad, it makes it annoying and not work properly. Damn iPad.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Yassen said:
I cosplayed as Benny from Fallout: New Vegas. Even performed the opening to the game on stage. The judges gave me runner up for best skit of the day, so naturally I was extremely pleased.

My next cosplay is the main character (which Word of God names "The Journeyer") from thatgamecompany's Journey. I've been talking with my friend who made my jacket and she's really excited to make this, she's even planning to use LED lights for the eyes, it's going to look awesome.

Is there any video footage of you doing the opening scene? I'm interested in how it sounded, seeing as they gave you a runner up spot.

OT: Sadly, i don't cosplay. Ain't got the skills to make a costume, and I don't know any people who are interested in cosplaying

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Cosplay you say?

I'll be wearing that to the Escapist Expo!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I dressed up as the joker for Halloween once (comic joker, much more fun) Thats about it really.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
templar1138a said:
I'd like to cosplay, but I don't want to dress as a Jedi/Sith at a Star Wars convention until/unless I get in shape (Force training is supposed to be physically intense, after all) and I play a lot of WRPGs, so I'm not cosplaying as an OC nor am I going to make an intricate set of armor. That leaves anime characters.

Problem is, I'm no Otaku, so my familiarity with anime is limited. And from what I've seen, there are next to no bearded anime men who are clearly of Nordic/Celtic descent and share a resemblance to Jack Black (no really, that's what I look like).

If anyone knows an anime with a character that one with my appearance could cosplay as, I'd be very appreciative if you let me know. I'll give you a cookie!*

*while supplies last
I'd say ditch the anime and focus on gaming characters. You could shave your head and be the Heavy Weapons Guy, or maybe the Gunzerker from Borderlands 2.

Tanner The Monotone

I'm Tired. What else is new?
Aug 25, 2010
Not my cup of tea, but it does make me smile seeing the costumes though, so I don't mind people doing it honestly.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
templar1138a said:

*while supplies last
I'd say ditch the anime and focus on gaming characters. You could shave your head and be the Heavy Weapons Guy, or maybe the Gunzerker from Borderlands 2.
Allow me to reiterate: I play a lot of WRPGs. As in, I don't play too many shooters. Also, I stopped being fourteen a while ago. I wouldn't be able to keep up in an online shooter like Team Fortress. But I appreciate the attempt (and the Black Adder pic).

And it just occurred to me that my dad could cosplay as Gordon Freeman if he wanted to. Lucky bastard.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I actually was going to build myself a Portal radio to go with my lab coat. I just didn't come around starting yet because there's some technical issues I need to figure out first.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I've never cosplayed before, but I plan on going as different gaming characters all three days of the Escapist Exp. One day I'll be Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but the rest are up in the air.

Why Jensen? Because trench coats are always awesome! :D

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Love the Deku Scrub costume. I've never been to a convention that housed any cosplayers. I've been told I'd make a great Mugen or Link/Dark Link if I dyed my hair.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I only do lazy cosplay, personally. I'll find a character from something who wears a fairly normal, modern outfit with a signature weapon or something attached, and I'll build said outfit and a nonfunctional replica of said weapon (or something).

That Benny suit Yassen did is pretty similar to what I do, only I'd never be able to pull off the hair like that.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
I've done a number of cosplays and crossplays in the past. The best ones I remember doing were Kyon from TMoHS, Chrono from Chrono Trigger, Satako Hojo from Higurashi, and EMily who is an original character of mine (she's the blue character in my avatar).

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
That is a lethal Yoshi head, OP; very impressed.

If I ever had any desire to cosplay then I'd probably do an Assassin's Creed thang, but my problem with Cosplay is that you either need to put a lot of time and effort into your cosplay, (like OP) to have it look really good or you end up looking like a bad Chinese bootleg of your favourite characters.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
rob_simple said:
That is a lethal Yoshi head, OP; very impressed.

If I ever had any desire to cosplay then I'd probably do an Assassin's Creed thang, but my problem with Cosplay is that you either need to put a lot of time and effort into your cosplay, (like OP) to have it look really good or you end up looking like a bad Chinese bootleg of your favourite characters.
ThePenguinKnight said:
Love the Deku Scrub costume. I've never been to a convention that housed any cosplayers. I've been told I'd make a great Mugen or Link/Dark Link if I dyed my hair.
Thank yous : D

I put quite a lot of effort and money (more money than I'd like to admit) into doing them :p
As far as time goes though, I usually start very early, but 90% of the work is usually done in the two weeks before the first convention of the season(It's very hard to find the motivation to do the work when convention season is far away)

Next year I plan to do a bobble-head vegeta cosplay with a friend who's doing nappa x P

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
EeveeElectro said:
Heh, pretty cool. Wish I could make my own outfits actually... I'd be too scared in case I cocked it up. :/

I usually go to the MCM expos, I'm not sure if I can go to any this year though ;_;
Went to the last Manchester one as Freya from Chobits. [sub]Even though people were shouting 'Chiiiii!'[/sub]

not sure if cute cosplay, or cute cosplayer