Could a sniper kill Magneto?

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Brawndo said:
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
Yes, he is a omega class mutant.

The normal human doesn't have the ability to follow a missile or bullet in flight, it is moving far to fast for our eyes and brains to comprehend. This is why you can not dodge a bullet, even if you know there is someone lining up the shot. It is too fast to comprehend and move out of the way in time.

Magneto, on the other hand, has a sense of all magnetic fields which means he doesn't need his eyes to see with. Everything has a magnetic field, so he must go through life with some sort of echolocation like ability. Metal, with a higher magnetic field, would scream it's presence to him. With a brain fast enough to comprehend all of this sensory input that we can't even fathom, he would be able to track the movement and stop it with ease.

Asked this of a comic geek and was told that he is 'ferro-sentient.' Meaning he knows where everything metal is at any given time, what it is, how it is used and even a slight bit of pre-cognition when it comes to metal interaction. In short: He knows the gun is there before the sniper has even taken it off his back, calculating the ballistic path while the sniper lines up the shot and could stop the bullet from leaving the gun with a whim before the shooter even pulls the trigger.

All with as much thought it takes us to scratch a itch.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
FreelanceButler said:
I always assumed his silly bucket helmet was bulletproof or something. He sure can't be wearing it for fashion.

Although I suppose you could just use a wooden gun if you really wanted to beat him.
Wut?

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I'm sure he ca defend against a bullet, but all he needs is a playful child to scare the crap out of that old heart of his and he'd likely croak.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Tesral said:
This reminds me of that bit in Final Fantasy 8 with the worlds worst assassin, Irvine Kinneas.
That makes a lot more sense when you realize he IS good enough to take the shot, but he actually is the only one out of the five who hasn't forgotten that Edea was the woman who raised them as orphans. Kinda hard to shoot the woman who loved and raised you.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
He can get lazy when sensing, in the X-men the Last Stand (the worst x-men movie ever) he attempts to stop the plastic darts and bullets and then says something like "hmm they've learnt".

It's not until after his extended his powers that he realises that they're not metal.

IMO if a sniper was far away magneto couldn't stop him, considering how fast a bullet travels there is no way human reflexes could save him. But would it be able to penetrate that special metal helmet?

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
*Snip Myself*

On second thought actually, not all metals are magnetic. And the army does use depleted uranium as armor piercing bullets. And uranium is very weakly affected by magnets.
/thread
It's true that not all metals are magnetic, but I read the wiki (call me a cheater).
"The primary application of his power is control over magnetism and the manipulation of metal - ferrous and nonferrous."
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but it would mean he can bend any metal to his will.

He also does a whole lot of things people don't know about. He is shown doing things such as creating wormholes, removing the effects of telepathy in an area, etc. He also has reflexes several times higher then that of normal humans. At least from what I'm reading.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Magneto gains regular old TK in the comics, so he can move metal and alot of other stuff as well... So he might have a better chance of stopping that non-metal bullet.

OT: The man's amazing. He can fly through space, create portals to different dimensions and lift a 30,000 ton nuclear sub out of the water. I don't think he'll be killed by a simple sniper.

Jian-Li

Mar 24, 2010
You'd have to use a bullet that's not made out of metal and a gun that doesn't have any metal parts. To get by the helmet you'd have to be a very good sniper who can shoot him in the head where the helmet isn't protecting him like the eye or the nose.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
FreelanceButler said:
I always assumed his silly bucket helmet was bulletproof or something. He sure can't be wearing it for fashion.

Although I suppose you could just use a wooden gun if you really wanted to beat him.

[sub]If you're after a serious answer, see anyone mentioning some constant magnetic field. That's what I'd assume.[/sub]
Question. What exactly stopped him from ruthlessly slaughtering everybody after learning the gun was fake?

Robert Sanders

Jul 9, 2011
Cobalt and nickle are magnetic as well. Your higher caliber rounds that need more distance have a lead core with a jacket of steel or copper to keep their shape before hitting their target.

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
Burning Monkey said:
I haven't read the entire thread but I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this. Magneto does a lot more then just have the ability to control metals.

Magneto actually has complete control over the electromagnetic spectrum. He has been shown by this to control gravity, radio waves, microwaves, terahertz radiation, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, x-rays, and gamma ray, open wormholes, form force fields which can take hits from Thor's hammer and nuclear explosions, and some telepathic abilities.

He can sense the electrochemical activity in people and control it. He's paralyzed all the X-Men before by controlling this.

The range of his powers has been shown to cover most of the planet. (he's altered the Earths magnetic field, and controlled Astroid M while it was in space). They've had attempted assassinations on him in the comics multiple times with "plastic" bullets and what not and he's foiled all of them.

We aren't even considering his "costume" and helmet. Which are all held together/created with his powers. He's taken hits even without his force field (which is normally up in some form whenever he is awake) from SHIELD gunships and not been killed.

So no, I don't believe a sniper would be the one to get Magneto.
My comic geek friend tries to suppress anything to do with the onslaught entity... so wormholes are out.

The rest is valid though: The comics show that his 'range of sense' is easily as far out as the moon is, that he has control over lots more then just ferromagnetic forces and that he has latent precognition on top of it all to make it just a bit harder. Most people seem to know his abilities from the movies and they are greatly lacking in what he can actually do. Honestly, I have always wondered why a plastic prison would even stop him... unless he wants to be there.

caption:
ryourthb down,

Your so down, rrthb!

tycho0042

Jan 27, 2010
I suspect he radiates some sort of magnetic field and can sense disruptions inside of said field and as such is aware of them as they come. I doubt unless incredibly weakened magneto probably couldn't be just sniped even with non magnetic materials. As I understand it his powers are pretty epic-strong. I have a friend who might know better as he used to collect a lot of xmen comics. I'll ask and report back

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
tycho0042 said:
I suspect he radiates some sort of magnetic field and can sense disruptions inside of said field and as such is aware of them as they come. I doubt unless incredibly weakened magneto probably couldn't be just sniped even with non magnetic materials. As I understand it his powers are pretty epic-strong. I have a friend who might know better as he used to collect a lot of xmen comics. I'll ask and report back
Mine lays it out like this: he is omega level power, so the closest thing you are going to get to a god on earth. Even on par, or greater, then a few gods known to exist in that universe. Thor, for example, has less power then Magneto.

So yeah, more then a plastic bullet it would take.

Sikratua

Apr 11, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
I always wondered why they didn't simply make the bullet out of something else and kill him from afar, but than again, I always wondered how he could affect metals which aren't affected by magnetism.
You mean, like Adamantium? Fox Studios botched that series, at every possible turn.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
I was going to say it based on the first movie where he senses the metal grafted to Wolverine's skeleton, but still, basically, this.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
FreelanceButler said:

[sub]If you're after a serious answer, see anyone mentioning some constant magnetic field. That's what I'd assume.[/sub]
Wait wait, you do know why he wears that helmet right?
Also why is magneto such a pussy in the vid o_O , he plays chess against a psychic ( francis xavier ) and get's beat by a wooden gun? Lolwut?

OT : nope sniper rifle wouldn't work , remember irving and eden at the end of disc 1 of FF8? Yeah that would happen and it would be EPIC . Want to kill magneto ? Remember that episode of superman where he got shot by bullets made of kryptonite? The look on his face was priceless.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
PS3fanboy said:
direkiller said:
Captain Pirate said:
MostlyHarmless said:
I say we call the Mythbusters.
Mythbusters: X-men Edition would be AMAZING.

On a semi-related note, technically, couldn't you 'kill' Wolverine by dropping him in lava?
depends on who is writing the comic

one time he was killed by Magneto ripping the atommantiom out of his body though open wounds

one time he dint die because a few cells lived and he regenerated from that

Where his powers are normally at yes dropping him in lava would kill him
There is a problem with your argument.

Wolverine was once thrown into the sun by the Hulk, and he came back from that. Seeing as the surface of the sun is as hot as the outer core of the Earth's core, I don't think lava on the surface of the earth would pose any problem.
agian it depends on what his powers are at that point(they varry heavly)
he was killed by magneto ripping out his skellotion at one point
he also lived by having a few stray cells regenerate his entire body(claws and all even though there not part of his living body)

taking an average of the powers(or where they are for a majority of the time) lava would kill him

also fun facts:
lava doesn't come from the center of the earth it comes from the mantel
and the center of the earth is hotter then the surface of the sun(few hundred miles into the suns a diffident story)