Could a sniper kill Magneto?

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
Yes. If Magneto is caught off-guard then a bullet can kill him. Like how Wolverine cut his head off in New X-Men by Grant Morrison, he isn't IMMUNE to bullets, just capable of manipulating them.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
Even if he can sense metal, it doesn't matter. The bullet's travelling faster than the speed of sound. Maybe if he knows it's coming, he can put up a barrier of some sort, but if he doesn't, no way. His power is metal manipulation, not crazy levels of super speed.

If you honestly think he'd be quick enough, you need to learn a thing or two about ballistics. He wouldn't even hear the shot until after he's been hit.

trophykiller

Jul 23, 2010
linkzeldi said:
Okay here's the thing, what material other than metal would function as a bullet?

Unless you can answer that, I doubt a sniper could kill Magneto.
Wood. Used in prison riots, and hurts enough to shatter bones. If one were to replace the softer woods they use with, say, hickory or oak, it *might* do the trick. However, it would likely not have the stopping power needed for a "one hit, one kill", so I would suggest having men armed with polymer guns, Wood projectiles, plastic shell casings, kevlar uniforms, the like.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
linkzeldi said:
Okay here's the thing, what material other than metal would function as a bullet?

any high density ceramic, bone bullets, quartz bullets, pretty-much any crystal ( presuming it's tough enough to be fired in the first place )

most types of rock,
or any non magnetic metal ( of which there are quite a few )

Tin
Lead-*
Chrome
Zinc
Copper
Calcium

( this is what bullets are actually made from, mostly... but i will grant they can contain some traces of magnetic materials, so whatever )

again, this really asks the question is magneto's magnetic ability actually magnetic, or just magic
there are certainly things you could fire at him that are not magnetic, of this there is no doubt
but since he can control lead and metals that do not seem to contain high quantity's of iron, Cobalt or nickel - yes i mean alloys too.
including wolverine's Unobtainium skeleton**

( the metals considered magnetic for the purpose of moving them with magnetic fields )
it really calls into question exactly what his super-mutation is

i would say, yes you could kill magneto with a bullet of x-substance that contains 0 metal if you had to
but then again, if he had those powers he could make himself a metal nano-shell and deflect bullets of all kinds
but the op stipulates 'when his defences are down' so the answer is yes, really.
with a magnetic bullet? depends if his ability to sense magnetic objects is passive or active, and we don't know that ( or i don't anyway )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
see science fiction

cause i know i just made a wolverine fan die of rabid foaming
for getting his sci-fi accurate

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Rhaff said:
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Rhaff said:
Everything is magnetic to some degree, so if we assume tthat he is able to create a field strong enough, he could stop every thing one could throw or fire at him.
Commander Shepard would have to disagree with that.
Hahaha made my evening, but let my rephrase, anything material we could throw or fire at him..
Alright, I'll give you that one sense one of the componants in that is superheated iron.

So how about sonic weaponry?
I doubt he could bend soundwaves to his own accord, thus he becomes really annoyed to the point of a massive migrane and can't think properly when THE THANIX CANNON COMES IN!

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
Yes, they'd just use epoxy bullets. Yes, they are a real thing, they're used today as frangible bullets designed to minimize penetration and collateral damage (often used by police and special forces. Sometimes buckshot is embedded to improve stopping power.)

Edit: I should also point out that non-ferrous metals CAN Be manipulated by magnetic fields. In fact, any polar molecules can be manipulated by strong enough magnetic fields (see levitating grasshoppers)

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
Yes a sniper could kill Magneto...

...but Marvel would bring him back from the dead a few days later anyways.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
FirstPersonWinner said:
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.
The best way to take someone out is generally a centter-of-mass shot anyway, and a good sniper with, say, some kind of stone bullet could just make a heart shot. A stone bullet would fragment nicely too, mimicking the mushrooming of hollow-point bullets. I'd say to take out Magneto in the Marvel universe, your best bet would be to send in Anti-Venom to neutralize his powers. Then you can use metal weapons to your heart's content.

tavelkyosoba

Oct 6, 2009
Nieroshai said:
FirstPersonWinner said:
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.
The best way to take someone out is generally a centter-of-mass shot anyway, and a good sniper with, say, some kind of stone bullet could just make a heart shot. A stone bullet would fragment nicely too, mimicking the mushrooming of hollow-point bullets. I'd say to take out Magneto in the Marvel universe, your best bet would be to send in Anti-Venom to neutralize his powers. Then you can use metal weapons to your heart's content.
Stone bullets? You're kidding right? They would shatter in the chamber. Metals are used because they're elastic, not because they're heavy.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
FreelanceButler said:
I always assumed his silly bucket helmet was bulletproof or something. He sure can't be wearing it for fashion.

Although I suppose you could just use a wooden gun if you really wanted to beat him.

[sub]If you're after a serious answer, see anyone mentioning some constant magnetic field. That's what I'd assume.[/sub]
That has got to be among the worst cartoons I have ever seen...

Even 50s Hannah Barbera was better than that.

Nerdstar

Apr 29, 2011
Quaxar said:
kickassfrog said:
Also, can someone tell me- if captain america's shield is indestructible, how did they make it into a shield?
Isn't his shield Adamantium too? That'd mean they could melt the ore, purify it and once cooled it would be indestructable.

Mordwyl said:
That's why he wears a helmet.

What?
Uh... isn't his helmet actually to shield him from Professor Xavier's Cerebro/generally brain-tinkering?
That's what I get from the films at least.

OT However, his helmet doesn't seem to protect his medulla oblongata very well. One well-aimed crossbow and he wouldn't even be able to react after he's hit.
The shield was created by a American metallurgist named Myron MacLain, who had been commissioned by the US government to create an indestructible armor material to aid the war effort. MacLain experiments with the vibration-absorbing metal vibranium.

During one of his experiments to fuse vibranium with an experimental iron alloy,[5] MacLain falls asleep and awakens to find the experiment a success. This is due to an unknown catalyst entering the process during his slumber, and he is unable to duplicate the result. The vibranium-iron alloy mix is then poured into a mold for a tank's upper hatch to create the disc shape and painted to become Captain America's symbol.

Rogers' indestructible shield was long referred to, even in continuity, as being composed of an adamantium steel-vibranium alloy. The vibranium in the shield grants it unusual properties, allowing it to absorb virtually all of the kinetic impact from any blows that the shield receives without injuring Rogers in the process.

as for magnetos helmet protects preimely agist psy attacks and the like such as ones from prfesser x and consquetly it also protects hime from being discoverd by cerbro/cerbra

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
tavelkyosoba said:
Nieroshai said:
FirstPersonWinner said:
Stone bullets? You're kidding right? They would shatter in the chamber. Metals are used because they're elastic, not because they're heavy.
Good point, didn't think too hard about it. Some kind of plastic or carbon composite? Dunno if rubber would work at that velocity.Even so, since we're inventing weapons just to kill Magneto, why do we have to stick with gunpowder weapons? Perhaps the sniper can use a crossbow with a non-metal bolt? Snipers don't have to be a mile off, just out of sight, especially if on a rooftop.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
OH OH I TOTALLY FORGOT!

Magneto's helmet was never meant to protect from physical damage. Its entire point was to prevent Xavier from reading his mind.

OriginalError

May 31, 2008
Use a non magnetic substance, like aluminum or another non magnetic alloy for the bullet composition... even a strong plastic polymer.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The Lugz said:
linkzeldi said:

any high density ceramic, bone bullets, quartz bullets, pretty-much any crystal ( presuming it's tough enough to be fired in the first place )

most types of rock,
or any non magnetic metal ( of which there are quite a few )

Tin
Lead-*
Chrome
Zinc
Copper
Calcium

( this is what bullets are actually made from, mostly... but i will grant they can contain some traces of magnetic materials, so whatever )

again, this really asks the question is magneto's magnetic ability actually magnetic, or just magic
there are certainly things you could fire at him that are not magnetic, of this there is no doubt
but since he can control lead and metals that do not seem to contain high quantity's of iron, Cobalt or nickel - yes i mean alloys too.
including wolverine's Unobtainium skeleton**

( the metals considered magnetic for the purpose of moving them with magnetic fields )
it really calls into question exactly what his super-mutation is

i would say, yes you could kill magneto with a bullet of x-substance that contains 0 metal if you had to
but then again, if he had those powers he could make himself a metal nano-shell and deflect bullets of all kinds
but the op stipulates 'when his defences are down' so the answer is yes, really.
with a magnetic bullet? depends if his ability to sense magnetic objects is passive or active, and we don't know that ( or i don't anyway )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium
see science fiction

cause i know i just made a wolverine fan die of rabid foaming
for getting his sci-fi accurate
Adamantium. Different concept.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I think that wooden gun idea would be pretty sweet.
That, or just get a sniper a trebuchet.

luckshotpro

Oct 18, 2010
Yes, mutant or not, Magneto doesn't possess fast enough reflexes to react to a bullet that he wasn't expecting.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Tesral said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
This reminds me of that bit in Final Fantasy 8 with the worlds worst assassin, Irvine Kinneas.

I guess if he can only survive all those bullets by actively deflecting them, rather than passively tanking them like, say, Superman would, a surprise attack could work.
Probably would've been for the best if he mentioned that he felt conflicted shooting the woman who raised him in the face before they went on their little venture. He doesn't seem to mind shooting people in the face with a sawed off shotgun like a straight gangsta, though.

As for Magneto, though, I think the main issue would be that he's not really the most 'public' of people. You'd not only have to know where he'd be ahead of time, but you'd also have to be an accomplished enough sniper to shoot him from a vast enough distance so that he wouldn't hear the shot and that he would go down in one hit. This wouldn't be a "Superman" like scenario where you could tie Lois Lane to a set of train tracks and then wait for Superman to come to her aid with kryptonite bullets in stow. It also wouldn't be enough that the bullet is simply made of nonmetal components, it's been shown in the comics that he can project forcefields that can withstand thermonuclear weapons.