Could a sniper kill Magneto?

Browbeat

Jul 21, 2009
Any non-magnetic projectile will suffice in killing Magneto, especially if he is caught unaware and cannot affect the firer's rifle. Even a rubber bullet, given enough velocity, can spatter his Mutie head over his Magenta threads.

Robert Sanders

Jul 9, 2011
Chrinik said:
PS3fanboy said:
I meant no offence to you or your knowledge, I was simply adding what I know to the conversation. Such as the part about the different magnetic categories. Yes, he has the power to control all metals equally, as you said, but many people were talking about using "non-magnetic" metals such as copper or lead. I was pointing out to them that even if his powers didn't already branch to all metals, there is no truly "non-magnetic" metal.
Well, if he has the power to control all metals, a bullet out of friggin plastics will not shatter when it hits his probably pretty soft FACE...
People, you completely ignore the fact that ANYTHING going mach 3 can pierce human tissue...and probably shatter inside of him making a much larger exit wound completely ripping his skull apart...
So I´d just use a bullet out of something "not metal" and shoot him with that...if he´s not wearing all around Kevlar, he wouldn´t be able to stop it...at all.
Some people are arguing that everything is magnetic to some degree, if so, giving Magneto unlimited power. Wouldn't that make things worse for him ,since he would be detecting fields from everything this side of creation and would need to be nothing short of God to find the needle in the haystack whizzing right at his dome? He doesn't need plot armor, he has fan armor, because nothing you say is going to convince them that anyone or thing could get the drop on him.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Well, something that has always sort of bugged me is that most bullets are lead. Unless you are using a full metal jacket, the part that leaves the gun isn't actually magnetic.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
I didn't bother reading to find out if this was brought up, but here's the quick and simple. Magneto controls magnetic energy in a stronger sense than the magnets you're thinking of. First off, he controls all metals, second, he is more than capable of putting up forcefields to protect himself (you see him casually holding off Cyclopse's blasts all the furking time), and third, he senses metal. I mean everywhere.

Recently in the comics Magneto tried proving himself worthy of the X-men (because mutants were recently decimated and they have to stick together) by saving Kitty Pryde, who had, in a previous story, saved the earth by phasing a planet cracking bullet through the planet while inside. Before anyone asks, these make sense in context. He sensed that bullet, after years of it travelling through space at a speed that would make the Flash god "Dayam!" and brought it back just as fast.

Add to that the fact that he's a known mutant terrorist, a holocaust survivor, and has had experience in the field and with paranoia for years, he could tell when someone's aiming a sniper at him and crack the guy's skull with said bullet before the man had finished aiming. You don't fight the X-men with just controlling metals, you fight the X-men by being the most badass and powerful mother furker to walk the earth.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Brawndo said:
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
Yeah, with the proper kinetic speed even magnetics can't stop it.

And if it was a non ferrous metal he couldn't control it at all.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
He has an electromagnetic field around him, so yes, he can "feel" or sense metals within that radius. That said, bullets (typical ones, anyway) are lead. Non-ferrous, as in, non-magnetic. Any gun would realistically take him down.

That said, it's known that he controls/feels all metal, not just ferrous ones, so who knows?

Jul 31, 2009
Taking the clip from /watch?v=cNbXq2RNyC4 as evidence, first impression was that he senses the increase iron in the security guards blood stream, but the line "never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who's interested in you" could mean he was expecting Mystique to find a way of smuggling metal to him.

He may have been toying with the guard, although he could've sensed the iron, by process of "scanning" every guard that entered his cell.

The question is whether magnetic force travels fast enough to keep above the speed of sound, if he were shot at from behind from a great enough distance? I don't know relativity too well

If I were him, I would be using my power to constantly scan my location for all the metal in my surroundings. Best bet is to use a gun made entirely from plastic and composites, with ceramic bullets (maybe radioactively poisoned bullets if they will have to go into his body (helmet) and they mightn't be able to penetrate as far as a metal bullet(?)).

(When a bullet is fired at your head, the first thing you see is the muzzle flash, then (maybe) the blur of the bullet, then nothing. By the time the sound reaches your ears, the part of your brain that processes sound has been turned into soup.)

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
kickassfrog said:
Also, can someone tell me- if captain america's shield is indestructible, how did they make it into a shield?
It's a vibranium and steel alloy, the guy who designed it kept incredibly poor notes so stuff like the temperatures and the ore ratios were lost and it could never be replicated. But the two metals they used were able to be melted down and mixed before cooling into it's permanent shape. It's not completely indestructible, just practically. The Beyonder (a vast cosmic being) managed to crack it and more recently it was shattered by a magic hammer nin Fear Itself.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
ravensheart18 said:
He survived a nuke.

Based on the current lore, he can not be killed.
This is why I don't like comic books, they tend to become absolutely ridiculous. You have stuff like Wolverine being thrown into the sun and Magneto altering the entire world's magnetic field. What I liked about First Class was that while the mutants were clearly powerful, they still had limitations and could be killed or stopped by humans.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
This reminds of the episode of the x-men cartoon where they send sentinals made of platic against magneto they came close but he still was able to win by using the metal around him to defend himself

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
How about a poison gas grenade launcher. Get him in a tight corridor, put on a gas mask, and fire. Sure he can deflect the grenades, but if they hit against something the whole place will be filled with poison.

Jul 31, 2009
Brawndo said:
ravensheart18 said:
He survived a nuke.

Based on the current lore, he can not be killed.
This is why I don't like comic books, they tend to become absolutely ridiculous. You have stuff like Wolverine being thrown into the sun and Magneto altering the entire world's magnetic field. What I liked about First Class was that while the mutants were clearly powerful, they still had limitations and could be killed or stopped by humans.
That's the thing isn't. "You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness. And I won't kill you because you're just too much fun." Mind you, when they finally DO decide to kill a character it never is as good as the times that they've always managed to avoid dying.

Teddy Roosevelt

Nov 11, 2009
Bullets are not made of magnetic materials. Lead and Copper will not be affected by Magneto's powers.

Therefore, yes. Unless you had a steel-core round, he could do nothing about it, and snipers don't usually use armor-piercing rounds (steel or tungsten core rounds).

Jul 31, 2009
Joshimodo said:
He has an electromagnetic field around him, so yes, he can "feel" or sense metals within that radius. That said, bullets (typical ones, anyway) are lead. Non-ferrous, as in, non-magnetic. Any gun would realistically take him down.

That said, it's known that he controls/feels all metal, not just ferrous ones, so who knows?
The real question is whether magnetic force travels faster or behind the speed of the bullet?

linkzeldi

Jun 30, 2010
Okay here's the thing, what material other than metal would function as a bullet?

Unless you can answer that, I doubt a sniper could kill Magneto.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Brawndo said:
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
Magneto has always struck me as the well prepared type, I'm sure he would have some sort of defense up constantly and subconsciously as well as some sort of larger field around him so that he could feel the presence of any sort of metal, though that wouldn't help when a bullet is approaching too quickly, I don't think.

I'll just conclude it with Magneto's the shit.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
I think the Ghosts from Starcraft 2 could do it. Screw the sniper rifles, they could just drop a damn nuke :D

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
It would probably just be easier to make a list of things hazardous to Magneto's health. Like say:

Old Age

The Hulk

Food that is Hard to Chew

Jean Grey

Being in a small room with Galacta

An angry X-23

I think I'll let someone else continue.

nklshaz said:
I think the Ghosts from Starcraft 2 could do it. Screw the sniper rifles, they could just drop a damn nuke :D
The Ghosts could just use their Tele/Psi powers to kill him. Hell, if we're talking about any of the named Ghosts/Spectres, most of them could just think Magneto out of existence, particularly Kerrigan.

enriel

Oct 20, 2009
Magneto's big thing is the magnetism. Otherwise, he's not really all that beefy. So long as you're not wearing any magnetic materials, I really don't see why you couldn't take him head on. Sniping just seems like overkill. Ceramic knife, or hell, even a good hunk of obsidian, and just stab the guy.