Could a sniper kill Magneto?

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
It depends at what level. When he's at a higher level, he's able to sense where metal is. At lower levels, he has to be looking and\or focusing on it. If he's at that higher level, as soon as the bullet nears him he'll be aware of it long enough to stop it.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Well, you could hit him with a slug made of lead or uranium, considering they aren't magnetic.

Besides, if he didn't know it was coming, he probably couldn't deflect it.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
BaronUberstein said:
What about non-magnetic metals, or even something like depleted uranium? I'm sure you could make a bullet out of that.
Or even lead and copper... which is what most bullets are in fact made of.

Magneto shouldn't be able to stop the majority of standard bullets full-stop, unless he moves something into the bullet's path. In fact Magneto should only be able to manipulate iron, cobalt and nickel. But most people on the subject matter don't care about the physics so Magneto can end up doing whatever the hell he wants.

daydreamerdeluxe

Jun 26, 2009
BristolBerserker said:
It would be easier (and more comical) to just walk up to him naked and beat him to death with a 13in black rubber dildo.
... So, yeah, I think the thread now has a winner.

Robert Sanders

Jul 9, 2011
He would be unprepared for 50 caliber rounds. You can get them with a lead core, copper jacket and an aluminum tip. Last I checked, only iron, nickle, and cobalt had magnetic properties.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
Allow me to bust out my intellectual chops for this discussion.

On the idea of using non-magnetic metals: I think Magneto (despite his name and his "magnetic" powers), can manipulate non-magnetic metals as well. I'm sure somebody has shot a lead bullet at Magneto, and he's stopped it. Why? Because the only truly magnetic metal is iron (and its derivative, steel). And, if Magneto's only power was control over iron and its derivative, he wouldn't be able to stop lead bullets. Let us conclude, then, that Magneto has power over all metals.

On the idea of using depleted uranium: That *is* a metal.

On the idea of using a wooden gun: It would fall apart. Unless you use a bow-and-arrow. That could work. Although you wouldn't be able to tip the arrow with anything, so I don't know how well it'll do against his armor.

On the idea of using a diamond bullet: It would shatter under the force of gunpowder. Yes, diamond is that hardest substance out there, but it's not durable. A bullet of soft wood, for example, would disintegrate from the heat, but a bullet of diamond would shatter. Metals are the only known materials out there that lie in that sweet-spot between durable and malleable. You can't have something too soft, but something too hard will simply break, because, contrary to popular belief, harder does not mean harder to break. It actually means easier to shatter.

On Magneto's metallic awareness: He can "sense" metals. On several occasions, he comments that he "feels" Wolverine's presence (the adamantium skeleton). A shot from more than one km away would take some time to hit (about 2 or 3 seconds). He'd have time to sense a sniper's shot.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Brawndo said:
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
No. Even with these assumptions:

-magneto can impart incredible force on any metal, even lead an copper (what most bullets are made of).
-magneto can "feel" the metal

The problem is Magneto may be mutant but he is a human mutant, his only power is of magnetism, NOT inhuman reaction time.

The fastest conscious human reaction time is 200 milliseconds. Also as demonstrated in the movies he can only control small amounts of metal over a distance of about 100 feet. Look at his "plastic prison":
-the actual metal detector is only about 200 feet away from his cell
-he doesn't notice the metal in the guard till he is very close
-he has to fly close to the guards' console before he can fire the steel pellets at them

This along with basic physics like square-power laws indicated his powers do not have unlimited range.

So lets say the sniper was 500-feet away with an Accuracy International AW50F, where he could be perfectly concealed and beyond the range where Magneto could "feel" the sniper's metal weapon (that's what she said). At that range a sniper could easily fire the bullet perfectly into the centre of his torso, where it will fire at about 3200 feet per second, it will reach him within 156.2 milliseconds. Even if he feel the bullet due to it's high velocity at 500 feet he won't be able to react nor impart any force on it till it has hit him.

One thing that is clear is that his power over metal requires concentration and some amount of "effort" so I don't think he could continuously have a metal-repelling shield around his body and even if he did, the sniper would just have to wait till Magneto was distracted trying to move something else with his powers over metal.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
when he's young, maybe but when he's a master, no. he can detect where metal is so he would know the bullet is approaching him even if he didn't know it's been fired so would be able to stop it

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
......Magneto does not have Deus Ex Machina
Every popular villain does. Otherwise, most of them would have been killed off or executed (for good) for the safety of humanity decades ago.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Cork bullet to the head,with enough acceleration,anything can cause damage,hell anything can kill if you fire it with enough force. Maybe just bash Magneto with a book large enough to kill a goat,that's usually a good plan B.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
TheKramers said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
He doesn't 'sense' the iron in the guards bloodstream; everyone has iron in their bloodstream.
... No. He senses the iron in the guard's bloodstream. Because the guard had *more* iron in his bloodstream than normal people. Because it was injected into him by a spy.

Have you *seen* the movie?

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
BaronUberstein said:
What about non-magnetic metals, or even something like depleted uranium? I'm sure you could make a bullet out of that.
Or even lead and copper... which is what most bullets are in fact made of.

Magneto shouldn't be able to stop the majority of standard bullets full-stop, unless he moves something into the bullet's path. In fact Magneto should only be able to manipulate iron, cobalt and nickel. But most people on the subject matter don't care about the physics so Magneto can end up doing whatever the hell he wants.
Yeah. I think the fact that Magneto stops lead bullets demonstrates that his powers aren't limited to "magnetic" metals.

Teh Roflchoppa

Jun 24, 2009
Iron Mal said:
Well, seeing as he is the 'Master of Magnetism' (as in he has control and influence over magnetic fields) that doesn't nessercarily give him a mastery over all metals (something I always found weird in the films).

Not all metals are magnetic (if I remember correctly from school, only Iron, Steel, Nickel and Cobalt are) so it's very easy to assume that not only could you shoot him with a sniper bullet, you probably could do it with most bullets (I'll give Adamantium a free pass in this because that is a fictional substance so it could very well be magnetic).

So 'Master of Magnetism' wouldn't suddenly mean you are the master of all that is metal (that power belongs to Iron Maiden) and it definately wouldn't make you immune to assassination.
Thank you! I was scrolling down, waiting for this answer!

Shikua

Dec 7, 2010
Guys, one big thing with every idea here. His power isn't limited to magnetism. He has control over the entire electro-magnetic spectrum.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
What about the flash? Could a bullet he didn't know about kill him?

daydreamerdeluxe

Jun 26, 2009
thevillageidiot13 said:
-snip'd-

On the idea of using a diamond bullet: It would shatter under the force of gunpowder. Yes, diamond is that hardest substance out there, but it's not durable. A bullet of soft wood, for example, would disintegrate from the heat, but a bullet of diamond would shatter. Metals are the only known materials out there that lie in that sweet-spot between durable and malleable. You can't have something too soft, but something too hard will simply break, because, contrary to popular belief, harder does not mean harder to break. It actually means easier to shatter.
-snip'd again-
You're on the right tracks, but what is actually the case is that hardness ≠ toughness. Hardness means it can cut things, and can only be cut by something as hard as it. Toughness is related to how likely it is to break upon impact. Diamonds are tougher than most gemstones, but still weaker than most engineering materials.
So, seeing as it's not a case of finding a sweet spot, but is instead finding a non-metallic material that is tough, well, we can stick with carbon, really. By using nanotube-based materials, you can make extraordinarily tough items, much tougher than metals.

TheKramers

May 26, 2011
thevillageidiot13 said:
TheKramers said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
snip
He doesn't 'sense' the iron in the guards bloodstream; everyone has iron in their bloodstream.
... No. He senses the iron in the guard's bloodstream. Because the guard had *more* iron in his bloodstream than normal people. Because it was injected into him by a spy.

Yes, I have, but that fact must have escaped me. I just thought he could do that to anyone, since everyone has iron in them.

Also, on-topic. The best way would simply to be used of a non-magnetic stainless steel alloy bullet. He's dead.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy05/phy05054.htm

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
TheKramers said:
thevillageidiot13 said:
TheKramers said:
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
snip

Yes, I have, but that fact must have escaped me. I just thought he could do that to anyone, since everyone has iron in them.
Probably not enough that he could rip it out of them and cause massive amounts of blood loss. Maybe he just can't sense it if it's a really small amount.