Could a sniper kill Magneto?

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
This has probably already been posted, but I doubt Magneto would have to specifically stop a bullet. With the right sort of magnetic field, he could probably just redirect the round with minimal effort.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
......Magneto does not have Deus Ex Machina
Every popular villain does. Otherwise, most of them would have been killed off or executed (for good) for the safety of humanity decades ago.
you are confusing plot armour with Deus Ex Machina

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
FirstPersonWinner said:
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.
A laser, mayhaps?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
And the winner for the thread-ending-post:

BristolBerserker said:
It would be easier (and more comical) to just walk up to him naked and beat him to death with a 13in black rubber dildo.
What a way to go.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
you are confusing plot armour with Deus Ex Machina
One is the means to the end of another.
Of course, Plot Armor is also powered by other means. Such as the Idiot Ball and Hubris.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
here's an easier way, walk upto him, offer him a box contaning a canister of toxic gas when he opens it he dies.

you homo-sapiens and your guns... will you never learn??

BaronUberstein said:
What about non-magnetic metals, or even something like depleted uranium? I'm sure you could make a bullet out of that.
sure, why not but if i were magneto i'd have a field of iron particles around me all day to stop things like that
the only sure-fire way i can think of is gas, but even then can he just make a solid bubble of metal around him? how fine is his magnetic control? could he shoot a counter-ballistic blob of metal at a bullet made of anything and stop it?
could he fill a 1-2km area around himself with metal dust and track everything that passes through it by sensing movement like a spider's web?
and, since the core of the planet is somewhat magnetic can he simply cause a super-volcanoe whenever he pleases?
i mean seriously....
these questions just bring up more questions tbh.

my favourite idea is the metal particle sandblaster
( just corrode everything around you with a tornado of metal dust )
say, bit like phoenix eh?

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
There is that scene in X-men 3 where Magneto says that he can 'smell' Wolverine's adamantium skeleton from a mile away. I guess control over metal includes constant awarensss of it too?

Also, to be honest, all you would have to do is make some kind of carbon fibre bullet and he's fucked...

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
Treblaine said:
Also as demonstrated in the movies he can only control small amounts of metal over a distance of about 100 feet. Look at his "plastic prison":.
First, what about when he moves the Golden Gate Bridge in the 3rd movie. I do believe that that bridge is longer than 100ft.

OT: Lets set up the scenario with a few more details.
First: The only effective material for a bullet is one made out of some kind of metal. As somebody said earlier, other materials would either disintegrate or shatter. So we can assume that the bullet is made out of some kind of metal.

Second: Magnetic fields are not limited to manipulating only iron, nickle, and cobalt. All Materials fall into three categories when dealing with magnetism- Ferromagnetic (strongly attracted to magnetic fields, eg: iron), Paramagnetic (weakly attracted to magnetic fields, eg: platinum and oxygen), and Diamagnetic (weakly repelled from magnetic fields, eg: copper and water)

More proof that magnetic fields affect more than metals can be found at your local hospital in the form of an MRI machine, which uses magnetic fields to observe the brain, which is obviously not metal.

So we can also assume that, given a strong enough magnetic field, any object could be attracted or repelled.

Third: Magneto can "sense" metals, as seen in the second movie when he "senses" that the guard has too much iron in his blood, and in all the movies when he "senses" Wolverine's adamantium skeleton.

So, given the scenario. A sniper shoots a bullet, which is limited to metals, from far enough away that Magneto doesn't know he is there. This means that there is a period of time between the bullet leaving the barrel and hitting it's intended target. Now Magneto can sense metals, so we could probably assume he would notice if one was traveling above two times the speed of sound.

Now the question is, can he create magnetic fields centered only around him, or elsewhere? It turns out that it doesn't matter, because if he could create a field elsewhere he could simply create it wherever he had to to stop the bullet. If he can only center them on himself then we can use the fact that magnetic fields become exponentially stronger the closer you are and say that the closer the bullet was to him when he repels it, the easier it would be to repel.

And lastly, could he stop one that wasn't made of a strongly magnetic material. Obviously if it was a Ferromagnetic material then it would be easy. If it was a Paramagnetic material it would depend on how strong the field was. I'm inclined to believe he could make one strong enough seeing as he can rip the Golden Gate Bridge from it's foundation. And if it was a Diamagnetic material, such as copper, then all he would have to do is create a strong field and it would be deflected.

That's my two-cents anyway.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Captain Pirate said:
MostlyHarmless said:
I say we call the Mythbusters.
Mythbusters: X-men Edition would be AMAZING.

On a semi-related note, technically, couldn't you 'kill' Wolverine by dropping him in lava?
depends on who is writing the comic

one time he was killed by Magneto ripping the atommantiom out of his body though open wounds

one time he dint die because a few cells lived and he regenerated from that

Where his powers are normally at yes dropping him in lava would kill him

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
direkiller said:
Captain Pirate said:
MostlyHarmless said:
I say we call the Mythbusters.
Mythbusters: X-men Edition would be AMAZING.

On a semi-related note, technically, couldn't you 'kill' Wolverine by dropping him in lava?
depends on who is writing the comic

one time he was killed by Magneto ripping the atommantiom out of his body though open wounds

one time he dint die because a few cells lived and he regenerated from that

Where his powers are normally at yes dropping him in lava would kill him
There is a problem with your argument.

Wolverine was once thrown into the sun by the Hulk, and he came back from that. Seeing as the surface of the sun is as hot as the outer core of the Earth's core, I don't think lava on the surface of the earth would pose any problem.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Diamond bullet should get through the helmet. Even if it doesn't BOOM eye shot.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
The only reason someone hasn't done it yet is because Magneto is protected by Plot Armor; he isn't allowed to die unless it furthers some other purpose. Just like most comic book and cartoon villains.
Unfortunately thats true. Plot armor is immune to all those things called "common sense".

And plot armor require an exchange of liberal ammount of punches/kicks (guns dont do anything, ever), lots and lots of property damage (at least one skyscrapper's worth), dramatic speeches with equaly dramatic camera angles to even put a scratch on it.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
That would probably work, I doubt even Magneto would wear that helmet every waking moment.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Metal helmet, yo!
Besides, there is no hard set limit to how fast he could react with his powers, meaning he could stop the bullet before it causes any serious damage.

Non-magnetic materials would work if he isn't able to form a iron plate to hinder the bullet.

That guide is about humans, not magneto, you silly pigeon.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
4 pages and only one person espousing the reaction time angle?

Seriously, magnetic bullets, nonmagnetic, whatever. Doesn't matter. A bullet of any kind will have killed him long before his pathetic human reflexes could do anything about it. Sensing a bullet and stopping it BEFORE it reaches you is simply not possible. The only way to stop a bullet is to be aware of it before it is fired and defend pre-emptively.

Rhaff

Jan 30, 2011
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Rhaff said:
Everything is magnetic to some degree, so if we assume tthat he is able to create a field strong enough, he could stop every thing one could throw or fire at him.
Commander Shepard would have to disagree with that.
Hahaha made my evening, but let my rephrase, anything material we could throw or fire at him..

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Brawndo said:
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
Judging from what I've seen of him, in show and movie and comic, Magneto senses the metal he's manipulating. The magnetic waves are an extension of his senses like a kind of radar. He feels it coming. If a sniper from far away fires a bullet, the instant it's in his range, he knows about it and at the speed of thought - most likely a mental "NO!" - the bullet fails to strike. Even accounting for the high velocities of special sniper gear, that man is a powerhouse and could alter its trajectory enough even if he couldn't stop it. It's like being lucid in a dream and preventing harm to yourself instinctively. Oh, and incidentally? The speed of thought is perhaps the fastest thing in existence besides light.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
PS3fanboy said:
Treblaine said:
Also as demonstrated in the movies he can only control small amounts of metal over a distance of about 100 feet. Look at his "plastic prison":.
First, what about when he moves the Golden Gate Bridge in the 3rd movie. I do believe that that bridge is longer than 100ft.

OT: Lets set up the scenario with a few more details.
First: The only effective material for a bullet is one made out of some kind of metal. As somebody said earlier, other materials would either disintegrate or shatter. So we can assume that the bullet is made out of some kind of metal.

Second: Magnetic fields are not limited to manipulating only iron, nickle, and cobalt. All Materials fall into three categories when dealing with magnetism- Ferromagnetic (strongly attracted to magnetic fields, eg: iron), Paramagnetic (weakly attracted to magnetic fields, eg: platinum and oxygen), and Diamagnetic (weakly repelled from magnetic fields, eg: copper and water)

More proof that magnetic fields affect more than metals can be found at your local hospital in the form of an MRI machine, which uses magnetic fields to observe the brain, which is obviously not metal.

So we can also assume that, given a strong enough magnetic field, any object could be attracted or repelled.

Third: Magneto can "sense" metals, as seen in the second movie when he "senses" that the guard has too much iron in his blood, and in all the movies when he "senses" Wolverine's adamantium skeleton.

So, given the scenario. A sniper shoots a bullet, which is limited to metals, from far enough away that Magneto doesn't know he is there. This means that there is a period of time between the bullet leaving the barrel and hitting it's intended target. Now Magneto can sense metals, so we could probably assume he would notice if one was traveling above two times the speed of sound.

Now the question is, can he create magnetic fields centered only around him, or elsewhere? It turns out that it doesn't matter, because if he could create a field elsewhere he could simply create it wherever he had to to stop the bullet. If he can only center them on himself then we can use the fact that magnetic fields become exponentially stronger the closer you are and say that the closer the bullet was to him when he repels it, the easier it would be to repel.

And lastly, could he stop one that wasn't made of a strongly magnetic material. Obviously if it was a Ferromagnetic material then it would be easy. If it was a Paramagnetic material it would depend on how strong the field was. I'm inclined to believe he could make one strong enough seeing as he can rip the Golden Gate Bridge from it's foundation. And if it was a Diamagnetic material, such as copper, then all he would have to do is create a strong field and it would be deflected.

That's my two-cents anyway.
Thank you for compelling ignoring my point on reaction time.

I'll dismiss the Golden Gate thing as grade-A bullshit from Hack-extraordinaire Brett Ratner, X-man Last Stand has been all but ret-conned out of existence.

If Magneto could move metal that far away then that contradicts his "Plastic Prison" as no way does that have not a scrap of metal for a mile radius. The only possible explanation for the Golden Gate bullshit is he can sense and move objects a massive distance away if they are massive in size.

Outside of that the consistency is clear: small objects (from bullet to skeleton size) he can only sense or affect ONLY within a few hundred feet. He can never tell if Wolverine is within a mile radius, only if he is "close" usually within ear-shot.

Ferro-magnetism or paramagnetism are also irrelevant as regardless of Magneto's name it is REPEATEDLY made clear that he has power over ALL METALS equally!

The point about the speed of the bullet is REACTION TIME!

You can't do ANYTHING faster than 200 milliseconds. It DOES NOT MATTER how "strong" the stimulus is, even if to his magneto-senses the high velocity bullet is super-obvious to him he CANNOT respond quicker! This is true for all people with everything, from pressing button in video games.

If magneto's metal-sense instantly detected the supersonic bullet within 500 feet even (1/10th of a mile) he still could not do anything to counter it. It is just too damn fast.

But writers all too often from sci-fi to more grounded fiction seem to give all characters impossible reaction times. The reality is a human with zero-reaction time would be capable of absolutely extraordinary feats, they literally could dodge bullets.

PS: you don't have to make a bullet out of metal. A Composite of ceramic, carbon fibre, teflon and iodine for mass would do that job. The only reason it hasn't been made as magneto doesn't exist, there is no pressure to make a non-metallic bullet, metal is "ideal" for the job, but it is not the ONLY material for the job.