Could a sniper kill Magneto?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Brawndo said:
This thought came to me when I was watching X-Men First Class yesterday. In the movies you always see Magneto stopping bullets or missiles when he is aware that people are shooting at him. But what if Magneto was just casually walking down the street to his favorite cafe when a sniper takes an accurate shot at him from 2km away? Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
It doesn't matter. He can't remain dead while inside the Earth's electromagnetic field.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Nieroshai said:
Adamantium. Different concept.
Adamantium is a fictitious indestructible metal alloy.
which is the definition of Unobtainium by default

any substance with impossible characteristics, used to fill a specific theoretical role

quite the same concept, in fact

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
mad825 said:
No, Magneto can "feel" metal.
That's brutal.
OT, I'm pretty sure if that's the case, the sniper would have to have a diamond bullet or something, so it would be not metal but still strong enough to pierce his helmet thing.

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
FirstPersonWinner said:
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.
PGM Hécate II + Diamond bullet = WIN!

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
crepesack said:
All metals and all polar substances and diamagnetic substances are affected by magnetic fields (read: everything is affected my magnets)

Also...yes...But I think later on he's probably well aware that there are people trying to kill him non stop so he eat, breathes, and sleeps magnetic field all the time 24/7. Keeping a shield up is probably natural to him.

I'm certain though you could kill him from REALLY REALLY far away with a rail gun firing an electro magnetic round though.... An anti aircraft laser would work too....I think super powers exist in a world without the actual tools that exist that can easily take out a human.

Edit: Also diamond is diamagnetic so it certainly is easily repelled.
Then you have to ask yourself, 'where do we draw the line on how far his powers go?'.

If he has master of all magnetic fields (even the small and largely negligable ones) then surely he can just tear apart and destroy anything (metal or otherwise) which would effectively mean that he would be capable of destroying and manipulating everything.

If he's limited to just the conventional magnetism that we're all familiar with in school and on a day-to-day basis then his powers should only be limited to substances made of (or including somewhere in their compasition) the previously mentioned four substances.

Either he's stupidly powerful to the point that he's essentially like Pheonix in the third X-Men film (read: able to disintergrate everything with the power of her mind) or his powers only work in specific situations depending on whether his enemies are dumb enough to not remember year 3 science.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Brawndo said:
Could he still stop a bullet he wasn't aware of?
No.

Is he aware of any metallic object nearby? Especially a red hot one carrying a micro sonic boom? Almost certainly. *click* No more bullet.

Will he get REALLY pissed if he gets hit? Ho yus.
The problem is reaction time. He could sense the bullet, but it would take longer to put up a magnetic field than it would for his brains to be removed from his head.

HotFezz8

Nov 1, 2009
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
a non metal bullet that will hold together through 2k and (presumably) the barrett which fired it?

Feb 13, 2008
ultrachicken said:
The problem is reaction time. He could sense the bullet, but it would take longer to put up a magnetic field than it would for his brains to be removed from his head.
He doesn't need to put up a field though, that's just showmanship. All he needs to do is alter local gravity/magnestism a fraction, with just a thought, for a long range shot to miss.

He also has the helmet (which is non-ferrous and armoured)

And he's smart enough to have a minor deflection field up at all time.

If you tranquilised him first, then you've got a good shot at it - but comics/RPGs in general avoid the sniper bullet for this very reason. A .50 calibre shell striking someone's head would remove the entire body part - and could be fired accurately from a quarter of a mile away.

But they were trying to get Fidel Castro for over 50 years and he's only got a cigar to hide behind.

HotFezz8 said:
a non metal bullet that will hold together through 2k and (presumably) the barrett which fired it?
Peter Parker's web fluid is stronger than tensile steel and non-ferrous. Captain America's shield/Wolverine's Claws...not a difficult job in the Marvel Universe.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
The only reason someone hasn't done it yet is because Magneto is protected by Plot Armor; he isn't allowed to die unless it furthers some other purpose. Just like most comic book and cartoon villains.
We have our answer!

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Iron Mal said:
Either he's stupidly powerful to the point that he's essentially like Pheonix in the third X-Men film (read: able to disintergrate everything with the power of her mind) or his powers only work in specific situations depending on whether his enemies are dumb enough to not remember year 3 science.
As with characters like Superman, the answer is that he is as powerful as the writers want him to be at the time.

But in terms of his known limits, he's not far behind Pheonix. His power extends far beyond affecting common ferrous metals, but by the same token, the further away from that feat we get the harder it becomes for him. He can't quite pull off what the Pheonix can.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Magneto is capable of deflecting wood, stone, most materials in fact if he is concentrating. So much like the Hulk, you'd have to catch him when he is not expecting an attack in order for the bullet to do its job.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Paragon Fury said:
The only reason someone hasn't done it yet is because Magneto is protected by Plot Armor; he isn't allowed to die unless it furthers some other purpose. Just like most comic book and cartoon villains.
/thread

And isn't it because he can feel magnetic forces/metal?... never watched/read Xmen, so i'm going off what i'm seeing here

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
FirstPersonWinner said:
What they said. Also though on the "other than metal" bullet thing, I don't know how that would work. His helmet that he always wears is a really strong metal, so I don't know what non-metallic material could pierce that.
HotFezz8 said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Tungsten is an extremely dense metal some times used as AP ammo and its not magnetic.
If not... Diamonds?

[Edit:]
Besides, I wouldn't use a Barrett nor even a 50. cal as it is too inaccurate and moves too slow.
.338 Lapua fired by either an Intervention or a Sako TRG would be my choice of weapon.

spacepope22

Dec 4, 2009
I'd say yes. As long as he can feel the metal with some kind of electromagnetic field, and being able to react to it in time. Now, of course, if the bullet is a non-metal, he would stand no chance, but then again, how many would.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Powerful electromagnetic fields affect non-magnetic objects. He just turns them Up To Eleven when it's not magnetic.

Crimbo23

Jan 19, 2011
well any good sniper wouldn't actually go for a head shot, whilst more spectacular it is more practical to shoot him in the chest