Could a sniper kill Magneto?

Red Rum

Feb 25, 2008
Even if he didn't have that helmet, he could still sense a disturbance in the magnetic fields...

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
yo mato said:
A good sniper has the ability to put a bullet in the exact same orifice the first bullet left.
The world olympic champion is a marine, I think, and he can do exactly that.
huh... at the Olympics they have 50m prone and three positions with .22's. Other than that they have the 10m air rifle. All those events were won by east European dudes (Slovenia and Ukraine I believe, not sure about the air rifle but was definitely won by an European).

Also, I'm a little unsure about the whole "put a bullet in the exact same orifice the first bullet left" business.

I'd like to know where you are getting this information.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Maximum_Power_Cheese_Supreme said:
Joshimodo said:
He has an electromagnetic field around him, so yes, he can "feel" or sense metals within that radius. That said, bullets (typical ones, anyway) are lead. Non-ferrous, as in, non-magnetic. Any gun would realistically take him down.

That said, it's known that he controls/feels all metal, not just ferrous ones, so who knows?
The real question is whether magnetic force travels faster or behind the speed of the bullet?
Well, like myself and others have mentioned, he controls metal, including non-ferrous ones. It's fair to assume it's not actually the scientific magnetic force in that case.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Iron Mal said:
Well, seeing as he is the 'Master of Magnetism' (as in he has control and influence over magnetic fields) that doesn't nessercarily give him a mastery over all metals (something I always found weird in the films).

Not all metals are magnetic (if I remember correctly from school, only Iron, Steel, Nickel and Cobalt are) so it's very easy to assume that not only could you shoot him with a sniper bullet, you probably could do it with most bullets (I'll give Adamantium a free pass in this because that is a fictional substance so it could very well be magnetic).

So 'Master of Magnetism' wouldn't suddenly mean you are the master of all that is metal (that power belongs to Iron Maiden) and it definately wouldn't make you immune to assassination.
Anything that can conduct electricity will be effected by magnetic fields. Certain metals like Iron are affected differently and I can't remember the high school physics reason why but the electro-magnetic effect stated in certain laws (again I can't remember them) means that any conductor that moves through a magnetic field will have a current generated within it, the current will experience a force as it passes through the field that will resist the direction of motion and thus the conductor will lose kinetic energy.

In conclusion and I'm sure others have stated this, things like lead bullets or any conductor will be under magneto's control to some degree.

Also plot armour.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I'd always assumed that his power also gave him constant awareness of all metal around him. Like he'd already know "oh hey, there's a piece of metal shaped like a barrel and scope aimed at me right now, and a little bullet-shaped thing in it".

If so, his reflexes wouldn't really matter since he'd have plenty of warning. He clearly has some serious range on his powers too, so someone somehow firing (improbable aiming skills go!) from outside his area of awareness would probably allow him ample time to notice the bullet and react.

There's also the possibility that yeah, he just keeps a little field around him at all times to prevent such problems. Given that he's done things like levitate himself around effortlessly or, you know, levitate AN ENTIRE FORTRESS THROUGH THE AIR while going about his business inside it, I don't think that would involve too great a strain or distraction for him to keep it up all the time.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Kapol said:
Meatramen said:
Depends, he is aware that a lot of people hate him, so he might have a strong magnetic field around him at all times... However they could make the bullet out of something other than metal and BOOM, headshot. :)
Pretty much this. Though I think he can 'sense' metal in a way, which means that he'd sense the bullet coming at him and be able to stop it. I say that mainly based on the second movie where he 'senses' the iron in the guard's bloodstream and tears it out of him.
i always thought he could sense mental, had a connection of sorts with it, so he would be able to 'feel' the bullet coming towards him. the sniper could always get non metal bullets though, unless magneto wears armour...

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Since we're going hypothetical, I say hit him with a 50 cal. hollow-point diamond bullet with a carbon nanotube core to reduce the weight. One of the strongest non-metals we've got on this planet and in no way can be affected by a magnetic field.

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
Yes a sniper could easily kill magneto ...but only with rubber bullets.. or bullets made from unicorn horn but then you would need a Rainbow gun and those are so hard to come by.. so i guess the rubber bullets thing stands up

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Get Domino to snipe Magneto through the eye with a diamond tipped teflon coated polycarbonate 7.62 x 55mm round? Her 'skew probability to her favour' plot armour may defeat Magneto's 'God of Magnetism' plot armour if he doesn't Spidey-sense the metal firing pin in the purpose built plastic rifle from 1000 metres.

Stranger things have happened in comics.

MrRetroSpectacles

Mar 6, 2011
Some people seem to think that the only way to snipe him is to find a way to shoot a non metallic or barely magnetic bullet and have it strong enough to pierce the metal helmet. Anyone perhaps thought of aiming for his heart? Or just shoot the rest of him quite a lot, he dosen't heal you know?

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
well im preaty sure that helmet is bullet proof but i do belive you can shoot him if he is unaware of you since his powers are not passive he has to try to move/stop something to do so...

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
The Lugz said:
Nieroshai said:
Adamantium. Different concept.
Adamantium is a fictitious indestructible metal alloy.
which is the definition of Unobtainium by default

any substance with impossible characteristics, used to fill a specific theoretical role

quite the same concept, in fact
Adamantium, while TECHNICALLY an unobtainium-like concept, has always been considered an indestructible metal, even when it was known in mythology as Adamant. Sometimes this was referring to diamond, sometimes it literally meant a metal that would not break. Tolkien may have created mithril as an elven word for this kind of adamant. Also, in the Marvel universe, it's made of an unobtainium called Vibronium when alloyed with steel. So, literally, while unobtainium is whatever you want it to be, adamantium has to be indestructible, or else it isn't adamantium.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
perhaps he has a constant force field around him that absorbs the impact of all metals that enter it. Otherwise I don't think he could stop a bullet without seeing it be shot.

TwoStep

Sep 8, 2011
Do none of you read comic books?

Magneto's forcefield blocks a lot more than metal, otherwise it'd be nearly useless against the X-Men. Human bodies cannot go through, Gambits cards cannot pass through, Cyclops optic blasts cannot pass through, etc.

Even the 90s cartoon showed this.