Court Declares Oslo "Game Addict" Killer Breivik Sane

Jan 13, 2012
Metalrocks said:
oh great. why not kill him?? ah yes, right. how could i forget. human right system. why do i always think the middle ages had the best punishment?
I also wish we had the Ole Medieval system of justice. I could accuse some annoying Facebook girl about being a witch and she'd be burned straight away. Why? Because mens opinions are superior >:D

[sub][sub]That was a joke and am in now way trying to be sexist.[/sub][/sub]

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
CosmicCommander said:
The survivors, the families of the victims, and the Norwegian justice system has impressed the world with their calm, objectivity, and lucidity throughout all these ghastly proceedings. The chance of Mr. Breivik being released are near zero, let us remember: his manifesto, his demeanour, and his actions have shown that his ideology precludes any peaceful existence in a 21st century society.
They could co-exist in his society, just not ours. That's why he's being punished. There's no need to portray him as an evil madman. In his idea of a perfect society there would assumedly be no violence because everyone would be white and homogenous hence would get along with each other, even though that didn't happen even when there was a wholly white society in scandinavia. In any society, 21st or not, there are going to be a small minority who choose to live outside its norms because they provide no advantage. In nature these specimens die; in society this is not allowed so they either kill or go insane (or they break the law and suicide).

Xangba

Apr 6, 2005
Zortack said:
Ukomba said:
3 months per murder. Which means the 242 he injured are freebees. There are some crimes that deserve the death penalty.
You really believe dying is worse then life in prison? I'm fairly sure he'd prefered death if giving the choice. Justice isn't about vengeance.
Potential life in prison does mean it will actually be life in prison. If he ever sees the light of day outside of solitary confinement then I believe justice has failed here.

Also I don't know about their prisons, but in America criminals adapt to it, and some people even get themselves purposefully sent to jail for food and health care if they're broke. That's why a lot of people keep committing crime after they get out, because it's no longer a real deterrent to them. For the life of me I still can't figure out why prisoners in America have the things they do, they aren't there to be entertained in any way. And weights? Really? Who's idea was it to make it easier for criminals to get bigger and stronger?

I seem to have lost myself in a rant there, sorry :)

Anyway I tend to prefer the death penalty in situations like this because that is justice in my eyes, plus there's no chance of being let out, but whether or not it's worse would depend on the criminals personal view on it.

Diplian

Sep 6, 2009
If he had been declared insane he would never have come out of prison again.
Now the chance of that happening is very unlikely, so he is probably going in there for life.
Also a death penalty for him would had made him a martyr and it would make the ones who wanted him dead no better then Breivik himself.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
You know, I'm not the greatest admirer of Tom Six, but I can at least say that the idea of a "Human Centipede" as capital punishment...well, I think this fellow would more than qualify for it.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Diplian said:
and it would make the ones who wanted him dead no better then Breivik himself.
I agree with the martyr thing, but who cares if we are better or not? Compared to the pain and suffering he caused, his sentence will be a walk in the park. This doesn't mean I defend his execution, but sometimes petty revenge can be a temporary pain reliever and we aren't saints - I couldn't care less if I am worse or better than Breivik but I'm not killing anyone with different political ideals.

The Plunk said:
I don't know why people are acting like 21 years is some short amount of time.
It's not.

But I wouldn't give him the 0.00001% chance of getting his case reevaluated after 21 years.

DVS BSTrD said:
Breivik has said during the trial that he would have considered a verdict of insanity as a "humiliation."
Well we wouldn't want to hurt the widdle genocidal cowardly delusional racist moster's feelings now would we?
Because it was Breivik's personal opinion the decisive factor that they took into account.

They are just reporting a piece of news and including Breivik's opinion. Nothing more.

And I don't get the "coward" part. At the very least, the man achieved his dream, which is more than you can say for 90% of this world's population.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Ukomba said:
He kills 77 people and only gets 21 years in prison!?!?!? Norway is messed up.
on the 21st year he will be reassessed to see if he is safe to release to the public and then every five years after that the same thing. In short, he could be held indefinitely.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
21 years for 77 kills? The fuck kind of system is that? I'm of the opinion that anyone who goes on a spree like that really should just be put down.

Faraja

Apr 30, 2012
The Plunk said:
I don't know why people are acting like 21 years is some short amount of time. IT'S 21 FUCKING YEARS! Most of us probably haven't even been alive for that long! Think about how old you'll be when he's released! And that's assuming that he will be released, it will probably be very bad PR to release him. I expect he'll be in there for 30 years at the least.

Besides, asylums probably keep their patients separate, unlike prisons. Hopefully his fellow inmates will show him no hint of mercy at shower time.
I'll be 42, and 52, respectively. Not really that old. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept him in isolation. Assuming the prison he get's sent to has one.

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Ukomba said:
Ingjald said:
Ukomba said:
He kills 77 people and only gets 21 years in prison!?!?!? Norway is messed up.
By norweigan law, he has the right to have his case re-examined after 21 years, but they can basically extend his sentence by 5 year increments indefinitely. He's never getting out.
MIGHT never get out. Every 5 years after the first 21 he has a chance. I don't trust a country with no death penalty and a maximum of 21 year sentence not to eventually let him go.
You see, that's one of the very reasons why I love Texas. We seem to be one of the now-few states that not only have the Death Penalty, but are more than willing to use it in sentencing when appropriate. Some crimes most definitely deserve a death penalty, if only so there's a feeling that yes, Justice is being served.

Faraja

Apr 30, 2012
Jhooud said:
Wandered over to the Guardian to read the original article. One aspect that bothered me, as a layman, was this idea that he was "sane". How can
You should take a tour of Germany some time. I'm sure they can enlighten you.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Harker067 said:
And generally with rulings of insanity you are locked in a psychiatric facility until you are deemed safe to reenter society. Which is often longer then the original jail sentence. So I'm not sure that finding him insane would have gotten him out any quicker.
Being declared insane would have been bad... for the rest of the world. This guy has ruffled a lot of feathers in conservative circles worldwide, who can't cope with the idea that a Christian religious zealot is as capable of atrocities as, say, a Muslim religious zealot. This event has shaken the worldview of many media pundits, who accused "brown people" of being inhuman monsters while the good white Christians where the paragons of virtue.

And here we have a white as the driven snow blonde aryan Christian being a loathsome monster whose actions respond to an openly racist agenda (He killed the children of left-leaning politicians as punishment for them not being racist - that is, for them supporting the cultural and social integration of foreigners).

Declaring him insane would have made a lot of people happy, as they'd have averted the need to reconsider their own racist positions, since an insane person can be written off as a fluke.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
tmande2nd said:
Why cant we just take him into the middle of town, cut his head off, and put it over the city gate?

Medieval Justice does have its good points at times.
because we would be as bad as he is.

anamizuki

Oct 14, 2010
He would have won if he had been declared insane,too. He did what he did, and no one can touch him about it, which he seems quite happy to point out.

As for the reason he was declared sane, Brevik's plan was not only very complex (pretend he had a game addiction to cover his tracks) but also very clever. This was not the work of a person with illness, he knew exactly what he was doing and pulled off a plan that needed perfect timing to work (Police focus was drawn on the bomb, the people on the island are scared enough not to question things).

Another reason is, as stated before, that his actions and words would be judged fully. There has been a huge movement against immigrants lately in my country (Finland), and I believe the same has been true in other nordic countries. With Brevik's deeds and motives so in-line with the racist people here trying to for example give immigrants armbands fir recondnision, those people are now assosiocated with the massacre. This makes them less likely to try and pull as openly racist shit as they have done lately.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Ukomba said:
Zortack said:
Ukomba said:
3 months per murder. Which means the 242 he injured are freebees. There are some crimes that deserve the death penalty.
You really believe dying is worse then life in prison? I'm fairly sure he'd prefered death if giving the choice. Justice isn't about vengeance.
Yes! Especially when it's not life in prison. It's 21 years with the chance for more. Honestly, that's such a stupid argument. If he would have rather died, he could have done that, he could have suicided after the shooting. If you really think life in prison is worse than the death penalty, why do those on death row fight so hard? It takes forever for a death penalty to be carried out because of the endless appeals. Strange that all those people experiencing life in prison seem to want to continue it rather than die.

I'm not talking vengeance, I have nothing to avenge in this case since his crime didn't hurt me in any way. This is just an evil man who deserves to die.
He wants that though. I read somewhere that if he'd done it in the states, he'd be given the needle and all he wants is to be a martyr to his cause. That's why he thought being declared insane would be humiliating since he KNOWS what he did.

Harker067

Sep 21, 2010
Oskuro said:
Harker067 said:
And generally with rulings of insanity you are locked in a psychiatric facility until you are deemed safe to reenter society. Which is often longer then the original jail sentence. So I'm not sure that finding him insane would have gotten him out any quicker.
Being declared insane would have been bad... for the rest of the world. This guy has ruffled a lot of feathers in conservative circles worldwide, who can't cope with the idea that a Christian religious zealot is as capable of atrocities as, say, a Muslim religious zealot. This event has shaken the worldview of many media pundits, who accused "brown people" of being inhuman monsters while the good white Christians where the paragons of virtue.

And here we have a white as the driven snow blonde aryan Christian being a loathsome monster whose actions respond to an openly racist agenda (He killed the children of left-leaning politicians as punishment for them not being racist - that is, for them supporting the cultural and social integration of foreigners).

Declaring him insane would have made a lot of people happy, as they'd have averted the need to reconsider their own racist positions, since an insane person can be written off as a fluke.
I don't disagree but it wouldn't be setting him free and clear either or letting him off lightly. That was my sole point.

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
Well, of course this monster deserves all the punishment he can get, and I trust he will get his sentence extended multiple times.

It's just that these things always have strings attached, and we need to be aware of them. :)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
FelixG said:
Strazdas said:
tmande2nd said:
Why cant we just take him into the middle of town, cut his head off, and put it over the city gate?

Medieval Justice does have its good points at times.
because we would be as bad as he is.

Oh man that was a good one!
You probably misunderstood me.
I agree with death sentence. I just dont agree with turning death sentence into entertainment.