Crazient/Oddest/Worst Userbase on a Forum?

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Sooo tempted to say that the English image boards are the worst I've seen...

But Youtube is prity bad (and of lower inteligence) so I am going to go with that over any of the chans I've been to

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
League of Legends. Whether its 8 year olds with terminal cancer, or racism, or sexism, or rape, or antisemitism, or any number of other unsavory topics, the user base their will latch on to it like ticks on a dogs ass and promote it to the very extreme, the jokes and offensive thought piling up and snowballing to ever ridiculous extremes.

Basically, 4chan, but with less pictures and more up-voting (And, if it can be believed, LESS moderation).

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
TheAztec said:
I find the comment section on IGN to be quite annoying.
Oh God yes, the IGN comments section on EVERYTHING just turns it to a stupid idiotic pointless argument (although I hazard to even call it an argument, more like rabid foaming at the mouth) about whose console is best, which franchise is best, or that IGN is biased towards the Xbox and/or CoD, personal insults and just everything bad about the internet. Anything remotely intelligent that gets said there is lost in an instant because for some reason the way they organise the comments section, the most recent conversation is what always shows up at the top. So there's just page after page about people arguing about pointless rubbish. You will spend forever looking for something that was actually worth saying, and when you do no-one takes any notice of it.

But I also second Youtube. I can't really fathom just how Youtube's community it as bad as it is. I think it's because it isn't really a community. The barrier to entry is very low, and there isn't really a proper arena for discussion (a bit like IGN) so somehow that brings out the worst in people.

Something else that both these sites that makes them such hell holes is the common seixist objectivity towards females I find. If there is any video which features a girl or woman in it, 90% of the comments focus on nothing except her. Never ever saying anything about her performance in the video or anything else that's actually relevant, it's just all stuff saying in the realm of "she's hot I want to fuck her" or one that's more common on IGN "stupid annoying girl knows nothing about games fire her!" no matter if she actually DOES know what she's talking about or isn't annoying in the slightest. I once even read a comment on an IGN review saying that the female critic sounded cute because of her voice... As soon anyone puts a woman in their videos on either site the video seems to become about nothing except her.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I'm surprised that no one said the Bioware forums yet, that place is just the creepiest place you could ever go to. Almost everyone there is a massive douchebag and will complain about every little thing and some of the stuff they talk about is just plain sick. Seriously a lot of people there are obsessed with tali to the point they made a thread about her sweat!

Edit: Heres the link [http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/bioware-social-forums.php] to a site that shows more of the conversation if you really want to know >.>

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
There was this forum I used to use, its shut down now, mostly cause about 90% of the members were like a handful of people annd all the accounts they could be bothered to set up, so it ended up with like a thousand active accounts but with maybe 100 actual people on it
Maybe not bad, but when most of the forum is basically a guy talking to himself with all his other accounts, then it becomes kinda stupid...

Also they tended to be rapid if u pointed this out and the "groups" then tended to stalk u, main reason i left :S

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
It'd be nice if you didn't fling shit at other communities, that's just basically setting each group up to invade each other or just generally be unpleasant.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Although it's not strictly speaking a forum, I'm going to have to throw YouTube's hat into this ring. I can never scroll through the first 10 comments without seeing it descend into some kind of flame-war, or bizarrely visceral insults, or general 'yo momma' style offence.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
FATAL.
Just FATAL.
Or should that be F.A.T.A.L (kinda like S.T.A.L.K.E.R except without any redeeming features whatsoever).

The community (if it can even be called that) is full of douchebags. The game itself is shit. The writer/creator is not only a rabid misogynist but also clearly batshit insane.

As RPGnet puts it : It is even worse than the hype makes it out to be, which in itself it rather amazing.

I'm not even going to link it. Google it if you dare.

It's like if /b and goatse made an RPG.

(also, my apologies to humanity as a whole for even referencing this in a public place - some of you will never, ever be the same for it and I'm sorry)

Nulmas

Jul 16, 2010
I can resume my opinion to a single person.

Some of years ago, there was a forum for a portuguese gaming magazine that has gone out of print.

The community was pretty good, but there was a single guy that kept showing up every once in a with a secondary account called 'virus' just to troll. That guy is probably the most annoying person I've interacted with on the web.

We all knew who he was so, eventually, we started treating the guy like he was the village idiot. It didn't make him stop but it made him a lot more tolerable.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Oh boy, BioWare Social Network.

The amount of people interested in potential slashfic material rather than game aspects are disturbing beyond belief.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
SammiYin said:
This one, I've never encountered a larger group of insecure, whiny people who take games far too seriously.
But then, I don't go to many other forums so maybe the whole internet is like this.
Uh, if you don't like this community then why on Earth are you still here?

OT: Probably Conservapedia, just because they're biased to the extreme (calling liberals and atheists idiots, intolerant etc) and willingly publish falsehoods on their site to support their political positions. I have nothing against reasonable conservatives, some of my best friends are, but not ones who feel the need to insult people with different beliefs.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
JoJoDeathunter said:
Uh, if you don't like this community then why on Earth are you still here?
Meh, it's not the whole community, just a large proportion.
And I love being devil's advocate.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Bioware forums are bizarre.
Youtube ...... I have no comments. I've never seen such a collection of stupid in one place before.

I can't say IGN after the giggle I had there once. PS3 debate going on and I lobbed in that PC's were better .... the rage was hilarious.

And any gaming forum that has threads about my little pony. I get that people like it, one of my daughters loves it. However. Not everyone does, those of us that don't like it don't want to hear about it and what the fuck is an "everypony". Seriously, I get that you love the show and thats great but stop forcing it on the rest of us or i'll start forcing my love of Fraggle Rock on you.

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Honestly, if you want to see the worst in people, go to any vaguely political news forum. Left vs right "debates" devolve almost immediately.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
ANY Command & Conquer related forum. People ***** about any slight change to the games, no matter how minor or major, and still, after nearly EIGHT years, STILL cry about "birng back Westwood!" despite the fact all the Westwood guys have moved on from both Petroglyph and Westwood and onto other projects (examples: Dustin Bowder is/was the project lead on Starcraft II, while Adam Isgreen is doing...something last time I looked). Since this one is pretty much fandom wide I can't chalk it down to just one community - it's like a Viral version of the same kind of babyish Neckbeard winging and complaining No Mutants Allowed is famous for.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hooooooo boy. Has anyone seen the Bay12 Games forum?

The one that sticks out in my mind is the "What's the worst thing you've ever done in Dwarf Fortress?" thread.

It got deleted because someone won.

<spoiler=Spoilered due to SQUICK>They modded genitals into the game to rape children.

mcpop9

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2010
I'm a furry and i have to say, half of the fandom is completely crazy, trying to convert people and shove their pride down others throats. Why can't they be like the rest of us and just be cool with it?

so half of the furries on any forums.