Craziest thing you've done in a Strategy game?

Nunny

Aug 22, 2009
I seem to be a hated leader when playing Total War games, even to the point in Napoleon they ceased the entire napoleonic war so that almost every single nation could go to war agaisnt my neutral Prussia. Played a game of Empire total war, i think i defended agaisnt the full strength of 5 nations with a garrison of 400 Line infrantry, damn its fun watching 2000 British elite troops stream into your fortress only to be cut down by a handfull of Prussian troops.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Emphraim said:
I was playing Third Age:Total War, a very well made mod which is in my opinion far better than Medieval 2 itself. I was playing as Rohan, and after crushing Isengard and most of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, was sending my forces east to help Gonder fight of Mordor.

As luck would have it, my full stack made up of Theoden, his father, both who were generals with max command and traits that gave them huge hitpoint bonuses, 10 units of Rohan Riders,4 units of Eored horsearchers and 6 units of Rohirrim axemen and and swordsmen, engaged a full Mordor stack with a half stack of my Gondor allies.

I got to recreate the Battle of Pelennor Fields.
Is that a free mod or do you have to pay for it? Also, if you have to pay then how much is it, and where can I get it?

Details, man! Details! That game sounds freakin' awesome!

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Not sure if this counts but I managed to hijack this massive mech (takes up four spaces) in Front Mission 3. It had some kind of particle beam weapon which was pretty sweet. Too bad I couldn't keep it after that round though *sadface*

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
In Dark Crusade, I turtled for the first 10 minutes, then zerged the enemy with my army of 90 orcs and few elephants.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Marv21 said:
*epic snip*
Dude that sounded awesome.
I love it when stuff like that happens in RTW.

Craziest thing I've done in that game was take on an army of really pissed of peasants with nothing more than 1 group of elite Barbarians(golden stats all around and max exp) the catch being there was only one guy left in the group, and he lasted almost my entire campaign. I had reinforcements on the way from Britannia off to the side, but you know how slow they can be.
So I figured, hey, why not? And sent my dude full charge into the middle of the peasants. Never have I seen such a slaughter.
He left at least a fifth of them lying all face down in the dirt with his berserk ability effectively crushing there moral and even making a couple of groups run away. Luckily the a.i army reached him before the rest of the peasants grew there balls back and killed him.

Funnest thing I've done so far had to be in the expansion RTW: Barbarian invasion.
In this I had effectively taken over half the map with my elite chosen swordsmen units. All that was left in my area was a little white nation that had barbarians which carried swords the size of small trees and could literally send my men flying through the air. I figure out a way to beat them but it backfired so hard. I lured their main army to a river with only one bridge. Started the battle, had my chosen swordsmen up front, archers in the back, wardogs off to the side just in case. Suddenly though, instead of swimming across the river like I'd hoped, most of them converge on the bridge, effectively bottle-necking the only crossing point in the entire map. I would've made my own men swim across, would it not have drained their stamina to crap, making them more useless in battle than a group of starving peasants.
So I had to micro manga like crazy for the next 10 minutes before I even ha da clue as to whether or not I was going to lose.
And lose I almost did.
If not for the lovely fact that my wardogs, which were both my favorite and most highly skilled unit at the time, don't have stamina and as such are cheaper than phalanx in a city.
i made them and there trainers cross the river. Some of the trainers drowned in all the dead bodies floating down river, but thankfully that just makes the dogs go crazy and kill the enemy even faster.
Never have I been so entertained by a battle. It wasn't terribly large scale, but it has tight and intense and christ do I love war dogs.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Trivun said:
Emphraim said:
I was playing Third Age:Total War, a very well made mod which is in my opinion far better than Medieval 2 itself. I was playing as Rohan, and after crushing Isengard and most of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, was sending my forces east to help Gonder fight of Mordor.

As luck would have it, my full stack made up of Theoden, his father, both who were generals with max command and traits that gave them huge hitpoint bonuses, 10 units of Rohan Riders,4 units of Eored horsearchers and 6 units of Rohirrim axemen and and swordsmen, engaged a full Mordor stack with a half stack of my Gondor allies.

Is that a free mod or do you have to pay for it? Also, if you have to pay then how much is it, and where can I get it?

Its a free to download mod, which i have, but you do need the expansion for Medieval 2, which i do not have.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

Get it.

Sgt Doom

Jan 30, 2009
Supreme Commander. Built the equivalent of the Maginot Line, complete with Belgium-sized gap where my ally's base is. Needless to say, my ally wasn't kind enough to extend the wall on his side and got steamrolled, with me coming down with him.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
On Dawn of War:Dark Crusade with the FoK mod I was playing a 5v3 match on the map Castle Rousteinen (3 players in a massive fort vs 5 siegers)

I was space marines with 2 IG AI allies and had a massive wall of dudes covering the only way in.Watching the 5 ork AIs try to rush in only to be beaten back by a massive wall of Heavy Bolters,Plasma Cannons,Snipers and Whirlwind missiles was a glorious site indeed.

It ended in a stalemate because we couldn't get out and they couldn't get in.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
It was some Settlers game. For the hell of it, I used a money cheat & bought as many resource gatherers as my population limit would allow & sent them out to strip the land of everything it had while the enemies fired on them like crazy. After a while, the resources were completely depleted. It was fairly ammusing & would have been a riot had it not taken them so long.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
likalaruku said:
It was some Settlers game. For the hell of it, I used a money cheat & bought as many resource gatherers as my population limit would allow & sent them out to strip the land of everything it had while the enemies fired on them like crazy. After a while, the resources were completely depleted. It was fairly ammusing & would have been a riot had it not taken them so long.
sounds like fun but i don't own any of those games

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
I remembered another one. Playing old civilization 2 I was playing in a 3 billion old map (rocky) and by luck my civilization was the only starting a relative fertile spot so despite on deity mode my capital growed and was self sufficient enough to produce resources for research and I rushed for war elephants and owned all the AI civs that obviously as the game allowed cheated to build shit loads of warriors and chariots but despite the massive bonus their locations still didnt allow for significant increase on research and major unit/building production speed.

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
Rofl in this old star wars strategy game we used to play, my friends were all fighting eachother so i built like 2 layers of wall both with lazer and rocket turrets behind them in the end i was just sitting waiting for them to come and die while they all raged me over vent. :D was awesome

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
ottenni said:
Trivun said:
Emphraim said:

Its a free to download mod, which i have, but you do need the expansion for Medieval 2, which i do not have.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war

Get it.
Brilliant, thanks :D. I've been meaning to get more into the Total War series after getting Rome and it's expansions, so I'll have to keep an eye out too for any decent mods that people have done :).

Wyes

Aug 1, 2009
My main two crazy moments were in Rome Total War.

1) I was playing as the Romans, and I had a small settlement somewhat isolated from the rest of my empire but sharing a border with the Gauls. I didn't have the buildings necessary to train anything more advanced than Town Watch, but I had two units of hastati (light infantry) and a General unit from when I conquered the province. All up I had 300 men, and the Gauls invaded with a force of 900, comprised mostly of warbands and a few swordsman units (both light infantry).
I used my town watch units to tie up units while I flanked them with the general's bodyguard unit, while I left my units of hastati to engage other units head on.
Somehow, at the end of the battle, I'd killed the enemy general, inflicted 500 casualties, taken around 100, and routed the rest of the army.

2) This one was more recent. I was playing as Greece, and I was building up a force in Sparta in order to attack Macedon and then capture Athens. However, it looked liked Macedon was gearing up for an invasion themselves (we were neutral at this point). They had two armies in the province, one with 400 men, one with 600 men, and then another army garrisoned in the city with 500 men. Stupidly, I forgot that if I attacked one of these armies, the other two would arrive shortly thereafter to reinforce them. I sent up a paltry force of 500 men, consisting of hoplites, armoured hoplites and a general unit), and attacked the army of 400.
As soon as the battle began, I realised my mistake.
Thankfully, at first I only had to deal with the force of 400, and it was just spearmen vs spearmen, plus a little cavalry flanking. Took minimal casualties (lost maybe 50 men), destroyed around half of their army and the rest routed (however, later they rallied and joined the other armies in their attack).
Once they were dealt with, the two reinforcing armies were coming at me from either side, so I set up my men in an outwards facing circle with the general unit off to the side. The rest was just a maelstrom of spearmen vs spearmen, at some point during which I was forced to sacrifice the general unit.
In the conclusion, I had around 200 men remaining, had inflicted around 600 casualties and routed all three armies.
After this, I promptly withdrew my army.

EDIT: Speaking of maelstrom, I just noticed how many times I used the word 'unit' in this post!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Wyes said:
My main two crazy moments were in Rome Total War.

1) I was playing as the Romans, and I had a small settlement somewhat isolated from the rest of my empire but sharing a border with the Gauls. I didn't have the buildings necessary to train anything more advanced than Town Watch, but I had two units of hastati (light infantry) and a General unit from when I conquered the province. All up I had 300 men, and the Gauls invaded with a force of 900, comprised mostly of warbands and a few swordsman units (both light infantry).
I used my town watch units to tie up units while I flanked them with the general's bodyguard unit, while I left my units of hastati to engage other units head on.
Somehow, at the end of the battle, I'd killed the enemy general, inflicted 500 casualties, taken around 100, and routed the rest of the army.

2) This one was more recent. I was playing as Greece, and I was building up a force in Sparta in order to attack Macedon and then capture Athens. However, it looked liked Macedon was gearing up for an invasion themselves (we were neutral at this point). They had two armies in the province, one with 400 men, one with 600 men, and then another army garrisoned in the city with 500 men. Stupidly, I forgot that if I attacked one of these armies, the other two would arrive shortly thereafter to reinforce them. I sent up a paltry force of 500 men, consisting of hoplites, armoured hoplites and a general unit), and attacked the army of 400.
As soon as the battle began, I realised my mistake.
Thankfully, at first I only had to deal with the force of 400, and it was just spearmen vs spearmen, plus a little cavalry flanking. Took minimal casualties (lost maybe 50 men), destroyed around half of their army and the rest routed (however, later they rallied and joined the other armies in their attack).
Once they were dealt with, the two reinforcing armies were coming at me from either side, so I set up my men in an outwards facing circle with the general unit off to the side. The rest was just a maelstrom of spearmen vs spearmen, at some point during which I was forced to sacrifice the general unit.
In the conclusion, I had around 200 men remaining, had inflicted around 600 casualties and routed all three armies.
After this, I promptly withdrew my army.

EDIT: Speaking of maelstrom, I just noticed how many times I used the word 'unit' in this post!
Nice gameplay, but I saw exactly what you should have done when I was reading the second account instead of attacking the Macedonian armies.

Assuming the AI uses realistic military strategy, which I've always seen myself in RTW, the Macedonians would have had their three armies join up in a major offensive against your outposts or settlements. In which case, you should have reinforced all your settlements and moved your main army to the nearest one to the enemy armies, where they're more likely to attack. Then, even if you're outnumbered, by already holding the settlement you would have an advantage, and would be able to do massive damage to their forces while taking minimal casualties yourself. Once their forces are battered and retreat, you can head across the map and pick off the survivors one by one while moving your main force closer to Macedon. Taking Macedon then would be easy as pie with half their forces destroyed, since they'd be unlikely to regroup and train enough troops to defend the city in such a short space of time.

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Trivun said:
Emphraim said:

Completely free, like any mod for Medieval 2.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=253976

Here you go. Download it. Now. And have fun. There are also some other seriously awesome Medieval 2 mods there like Stainless Steel which takes standard Medieval 2, adds the entire middle east and part of Asia, making the map the same size as it was in Rome Total War(actually it's twice as big, as the number of settlements and nations which existed at the time is greatly increased). Another good mod is THera, a land of torment, which is basically what you get when you throw Romans, uruks, pirates, and a host of various nations based on different historical societies on one world.

Tommy T.

Nov 9, 2009
Created fuckloads of dudes and rushed. Occasionally throw a super weapon or two to the mix. That's what I alway do.

Yes, I'm not exactly a genius mastermind.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Emphraim said:
Trivun said:
Emphraim said:

Completely free, like any mod for Medieval 2.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=253976

Here you go. Download it. Now. And have fun. There are also some other seriously awesome Medieval 2 mods there like Stainless Steel which takes standard Medieval 2, adds the entire middle east and part of Asia, making the map the same size as it was in Rome Total War(actually it's twice as big, as the number of settlements and nations which existed at the time is greatly increased). Another good mod is THera, a ;and of torment, which is basically what you get when you throw Romans, uruks, pirates, and a host of various nations based on different historical societies on one world.
Thanks :D. As I said earlier, I'm starting to get more into the Total War series now I have Rome, so I'll be on the lookout for any decent mods to download once I get the earlier games...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Tommy T. said:
Created fuckloads of dudes and rushed. Occasionally throw a super weapon or two to the mix. That's what I alway do.

Yes, I'm not exactly a genius mastermind.
Aaaaarrrrggghhh, that's exactly the sort of enemy I hate playing against!

No offence meant to you, of course. It's just that even when I try turtling I can never defend against Zerg rushers no matter what game I'm playing. And half the time my opponent does just that. As I say, no offence meant, it just grates on my nerves that so many people who play Real Time Strategy games completely omit the strategy part and just spam as many troops as they can. I always try and play as though I have an actual army, with as few casualties as possible and using military tactics. Works a treat when I'm facing like-minded players or AI, but when I'm facing Zerg rushers I just end up having to turtle and use my allied players as meat shields until I can get the top tech level troops and whatnot, and launch a counterattack... :(