Creature Caster Masters: Death Spelunking

willbailes

Jan 30, 2011
Okay, first, that was Hilarious, I still chuckle at the professor saying, "that's just silly!" see, just typing that made me laugh again. But...

If this is to become a regular thing that doesn't get too old, it needs it's own twist on the two franchises you are parodying. One I've seen and would really be interested in watching unfold would be if that first trainer battle that Justin "won" got Justin in trouble with the law of the creature world, as he wasn't supposed to battle without a license, much less toss a Exploding Tun-Tun without one.

He would have to sneak around to get the badges, staying low to avoid all the twin-girl-women with-the-same-name cops, thereby gaining the interest of the "Team Explosionary-Device" which he would have to take down by destroying their expensive impractical giant Ralph Robot (that's Rawr and meowth mixed together to make a talking dog creature). Hell, I would help write that just to see it!

Venatio

Sep 6, 2009
Lengthy explanation but necessary for the context of it. Good start I might add, and the Professor butchering the bats was the perfect shock factor needed to overcome any complaints for slow animations. Getting quicker I noticed or is it just me? Meh.

willgreg123

Aug 4, 2008
I think this could be promising, I will be following it.

I would agree that the charm ran thin quickly, however, this is just episode one, and it did manage to get a few loud laughs out of me, so it can only get better as far as I'm concerned.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Ehhh.... I don't know. It's not bad, but it doesn't blow me away either. I'm just going to wait for that moment where it becomes something new and special, and in the meantime I'm going to try to think of some better critique for it.

Maybe... you could just watch and read things like Yu-gi-oh Abridged, Super Effective, and the hundreds of others in that ilk and purposefully avoid the obvious jokes. That's all I can think of right now.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I enjoyed it! Definitely funny. I like Tun-Tun's "Floating Lumps". Keep up the good work.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Tempest13 said:
The best joke was the conversion of borebats into household products and professor with a machete...otherwise the jokes are really bland and obvious.
That joke was quite clever, except... Well, it ran on for a bit too long without going fully as a longer gag nor integrating entirely with the story as a mechanic of this fictional world.
And there was no need to show the borebat corpse- the sound effects and the machete would have been more than enough. Same with the Explosion gag from the first episode- just seeing the explosion effect and Tun tun being bandaged afterward would have had a greater effect without seeing the giblets.
Violence, whether in horrorific or comedic situations is almost always more effective when it is suggested, rather than shown.

Especially in this series, where Justin seems to have a pervasive sense of innocence, cluelessness and optimism without quite being the "Clueless innocent optimist" character. He's like Ash, or he's like Yugi, but without the features used to make them the "likeable main character." I mean, if Ash had been in the Escape Rope gag, he would've gone, "Oh, THAT's how it works!" *cue laugh track while he rubs the back of his head with his hand humbly to end an episode*
Its a refreshing approach to this character archetype, which in the right situation, could be comedy gold. I'd like to see this aspect of him maintained not just for the situational appeal, but as a consistent perspective on this bizarre, totally-not-Pokemon world.

wynnsora

Nov 16, 2009
On the writing: I really like the plot additions but one thing that kinda makes me feel awkward is the comedy. It mood swings, like I'll be quiet and be like, "Oh, ok..." And then just out of nowhere a joke. There's almost never any real set up for it either. It's not that it's bad, but I haven't watched anything with this style of humor for a while.

On the technical stuff: You seem to have upgraded in the little while we've waited for an episode. I love the shading and lighting work in the cave. Your motions have become more smooth and fluent. Along with that your sound effects are nice. They're very equal to the rest of the audio and it doesn't overtake sections of the voice over.

Overall: I like the humor of it all, the writing, and even the fact that it does have some plot. I can't wait for the next episode!

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Oh God I had to stop watching after the escape rope 'joke'. That wasn't even observational humor, that was just an observation. This reminds me of an old Newgrounds flash artist I used to dislike, Legendaryfrog. All he did was this: "Hey, ever notice how mr Freeman never says anything in his games? That's a comedy goldmine! Let's make a flash about him being a mute!" "Hey, ever notice how MGS conversations can be annoying? Let's make a flash about them being annoying!"
These are jokes not meant to be made since everyone already gets it. Yes, we encounter Zubats a lot. Yes, repel doesn't always work. Yes, an escape rope doesn't really make sense since it makes you spin and teleport. We get it.

Also re-record the guitars for the theme song, it's not hard.

Sorry, not watching this again.
I'm not a huge fan of this show, but...did you actually just say that you disliked Legendary Frog? His FFVII parody is still, almost 10 years later, one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the Internet.

Essentially what you're saying is that you hate parodies, since everything you described is exactly what goes into the creation of a parody. That's fine, but clearly a lot of people like them; it's a little pretentious to say that "these jokes are not meant to be made".

OT: This was a decent episode, but is Justin's manner of speech supposed to sound kind of stiff? The way he talks is fairly odd.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
kaieth said:
Duffeknol said:
Oh God I had to stop watching after the escape rope 'joke'. That wasn't even observational humor, that was just an observation. This reminds me of an old Newgrounds flash artist I used to dislike, Legendaryfrog. All he did was this: "Hey, ever notice how mr Freeman never says anything in his games? That's a comedy goldmine! Let's make a flash about him being a mute!" "Hey, ever notice how MGS conversations can be annoying? Let's make a flash about them being annoying!"
These are jokes not meant to be made since everyone already gets it. Yes, we encounter Zubats a lot. Yes, repel doesn't always work. Yes, an escape rope doesn't really make sense since it makes you spin and teleport. We get it.

You didn't like Legendary Frog?

You just destroyed any shred of credibility you had. Everyone I've ever talked to who's seen any of his videos or people I've shown them to find them quite funny. Stop being such a humor snob and enjoy it. At least it's not Show About Games Show or Game Dogs. Be happy.
As someone who does enjoy Legendary Frog I have to say that Duffeknol has a point. A lot of Legendary Frog's stuff is just basic observational humor. The only reason it works is because he puts his own quirks and unpredictability into to it making a joke that isn't fit to see the light of day something that can be quite funny. But even then a lot of Legendary Frog's work isn't all that great, he has a few gems but most of it is just okay stuff.

And what's wrong with Show About Games Show? I think it's pretty good so far. Nothing to amazing aside from the LBP bit but it has more promise then this show. But I agree with you on Game Dogs, that show was horrible.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
XxRyanxX said:
..Wow, I actually liked the fact the Professor explained why they have trainers for. Now it makes all sense.. they are using them to collect Data! That's awful XD well actually the cards are worse because they use the Pokemon. Loved how the Pokedex said the bats are immune to repel plus hate voice of Pokedox which the main character responds Haha.
Yes, no better method of collecting data than sending 10 year olds out into a dangerous world possibly risking their life against the harsh environment, deadly creatures and poachers with a Giant R LOGO on their T-shirts....

RESPONSIBILITY, How does it work!? XD

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Nice episode. Quite alot of good lines in there that made me laugh a bit. Keep up the good work.

And borebats remind me a bit of sea-bears.

"Is it in my pants?
No, I'm not wearing pants.
Where are my pants?"

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
You went from an amusing beginning to an incredibly dull second half once they got to the professor's house. Too much exposition, not enough going on. Also... no widescreen? For shame.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
This was...pleasantly surprising. It's like pokemon with an escapist-y sense of humour and a little bit of clever thought behind it to make it go down easier, I love it :D

kaieth

Mar 16, 2010
Frozengale said:
kaieth said:
Duffeknol said:

You didn't like Legendary Frog?

You just destroyed any shred of credibility you had. Everyone I've ever talked to who's seen any of his videos or people I've shown them to find them quite funny. Stop being such a humor snob and enjoy it. At least it's not Show About Games Show or Game Dogs. Be happy.
As someone who does enjoy Legendary Frog I have to say that Duffeknol has a point. A lot of Legendary Frog's stuff is just basic observational humor. The only reason it works is because he puts his own quirks and unpredictability into to it making a joke that isn't fit to see the light of day something that can be quite funny. But even then a lot of Legendary Frog's work isn't all that great, he has a few gems but most of it is just okay stuff.

And what's wrong with Show About Games Show? I think it's pretty good so far. Nothing to amazing aside from the LBP bit but it has more promise then this show. But I agree with you on Game Dogs, that show was horrible.
Well, you're right. Legendary Frog doesn't have the most intelligent humor around, but that doesn't mean it's not funny (same thing here). Maybe I just think of Legendary Frog as awesome because of all the crazy nostalgia.

Show About Games Show is quite literally the least funny thing I have ever seen. It's actually painful to watch. The "jokes" (gag) are so insipid and poorly delivered that the small gleam of humor that the creators might have seen is destroyed by the fact that I can see everything coming a mile away, the miserable acting, and awful delivery. I have never laughed at show about games show. In fact, I've shown it to several people, and none of them have laughed even once either.

Regardless, I like the new show and want it to keep going.

Tzatziki3301

Aug 11, 2009
Warming up, I actually think I preferred the pilot to this a little. In terms of direct parody, its not quite up to Legend of Neil standard, but getting there. All we need now are to get the first 'capture' sorted out and then come up against an improbably arduous first boss/gym leader fight just because Tun Tun has a type disadvantage. "what? You mean I should have chosen Paku Paku back when I was 5? This sucks!"

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
"Is it in my pants? No, I'm not wearing any pants..."

That had my laughing for so long I had to pause it. Pants is just a funny word.

Great episode.