Creepiest Moments You've Had... in Non-Horror Games

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Ever had a moment where you're playing, say, a fun little platformer or a balls out shooter, neither of which are meant to be "scary" or have any kind of bone chilling suspense worthy of Mr. Hitchcock... and you suddenly come across a moment that made you shudder? Here you are, playing some innocent and epic adventure, and then for one brief scene you're face to face with some prime and unleaded nightmare fuel.

Ever had that?

Personally, when I played ICO for the first time... one scene always got me. Up until that point, it had been a lighthearted - if "artsy" - platform-puzzle game about two kids and their growing friendship/budding romance. Yeah, the shadow minions were "kind" of creepy, but beating them to death with a stick rubbed off that impression real quick.

Then... the villain snaps off the main character's horns, and we see blood for the first time.

Damn, that really got to me.

So, how about you guys? What were your moments in non-horror games?

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
I keep hearing jokes Fable 3 goes all Lovecraftian, but I thought they were just exaggerating. So it happens, eh? Heh, now I have a reason to play Fable 3.

And thank you! I certainly hope so.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
I'm assuming that the horror sections of Half-Life 2 (Ravenholm!) don't count since they are -intentionally- being horror-like.

There's one part in Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight where you're gunning through an old Jedi temple on Ruusan and it goes dark - very dark - and empty. Where the hell are all the Stormtroopers?

Oh. There they are. On the floor.

In pieces.

OH SWEET SKYWALKER IT'S A KELL DRAGON- TWO KELL DRAGONS AAAAAHHHHHHRRRRGGGLLL!

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Yes! I'm the first to post it!

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Ha! I had a feeling someone would post this link. It is a known fact that Tidus's laugh is Hell's torture soundtrack.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Hmmm, I don't know if this counts but I found the Dunwich Building in Fallout 3 to be pretty damn creepy.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Mister Spaceman said:
Just to warn you, you might want to flesh out this post some more, into at least a full sentence or two. The mods don't like posts that are "low content," which is basically any post that is a single word or the person just posts a link and nothing else along with it.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
The Thief series despite not being a horror series has always had a minimum of one 'scary' level in each game with probably the most memorable ones being Return to the Cathedral in Thief: The Dark Project and the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3: Deadly Shadows.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
IIn Far Cry 3, during one of the hunting missions, this one was for crocodiles.

I never saw one in the game before, so I didn't know what to expect. I was searching around this dock area for I'd say around five minutes, when I decided to jump in the water to look for them. Then the camera did a jarring-as-hell forced snap backwards and HOLY FUCK TEETH, BITING, THING! GAH, MASH!

It was waiting for me. I just know it.

Not to mention afterword, I got jumped again, but this time it was by approaching one that was just floating frozen in place. I don't know anything about crocodiles and how they act, so I thought it was glitched stuck or something.

It wasn't.

Pause>cancel mission

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Really? I'd almost say Far Cry 3 had some horror built in from the word go. From the intensely creepy letters that tell a short story of the descending madness of Japanese soldiers who were stationed on the island to Vaas's bug-fuck-insane antics to the island's vague and implied supernatural elements that drive everyone and everything insane and aggressive...

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Well, Dreamfall at its heart is a fantasy, but there are some Ring-esque transitions.

At least Psychonauts maintains a hilariously quirky setting.
Most of the time...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Mister Spaceman said:
... Yeah, that was creepy as hell.

Also, I never played Dreamfall. Is it any good?
If you enjoy story-based experience then it's definitely worth looking into. If however you're among the type who look at something like 'The Walking Dead' and say that it isn't a game, then no, you should probably steer clear of Dreamfall as it's very much focused purely on the story rather than gameplay.

Keep in mind Dreamfall is a sequel though, the first game is called The Longest Journey and is one of my personal favourite games of all time. Just such a charming experience. And while you can play Dreamfall on its own, it's so much better if you've played the first game as well.

There's currently a kickstarter for a third game in the series that's already gotten funded, LINK. Personally I'm excited!

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Mister Spaceman said:

I suppose it depends on your preferences.

I quite enjoyed it, but I'm willing to overlook some very meh combat segments and adequate adventure game puzzling for good writing and diverse atmosphere. You can tell when a setting has heart put into it.

The Madman said:
Keep in mind Dreamfall is a sequel though, the first game is called The Longest Journey and is one of my personal favourite games of all time. Just such a charming experience. And while you can play Dreamfall on its own, it's so much better if you've played the first game as well.
Yeah, shouldn't forget mentioning the first game. Dreamfall can work standalone for the most part but there is continuation. Also, I see our Kickstarter won. Jubilations.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
The Madman said:
Mister Spaceman said:

If you enjoy story-based experience then it's definitely worth looking into. If however you're among the type who look at something like 'The Walking Dead' and say that it isn't a game, then no, you should probably steer clear of Dreamfall as it's very much focused purely on the story rather than gameplay.

There's currently a kickstarter for a third game in the series that's already gotten funded, LINK. Personally I'm excited!
I LOVED the Walking Dead, and The Stanley Parable is one of my favourite games of all time. Honestly, yeah, I'd be willing to give Dreamfall a shot.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Mikejames said:
Mister Spaceman said:

I suppose it depends on your preferences.

I quite enjoyed it, but I'm willing to overlook some very meh combat segments and adequate adventure game puzzling for good writing and diverse atmosphere. You can tell when a setting has heart put into it.
I like games like Journey, Stanley Parable and Walking Dead. A game can come in any shape or form, far as I'm concerned, and bonus points if the writing is top notch.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I'd probably say the ghosts (or whatever they are) in Killer7 have always been incredibly freaky to me. Not just what they're saying but the weird garbled voices.

Lilani said:

I think that's the sound you'd get out of studio laugh track recorded at gunpoint... in purgatory.

Miss Layton

Feb 18, 2013
Otaku World Order said:
I'd probably say the ghosts (or whatever they are) in Killer7 have always been incredibly freaky to me. Not just what they're saying but the weird garbled voices.

Lilani said:

I think that's the sound you'd get out of studio laugh track recorded at gunpoint... in purgatory.
On the Devil's orders.