Creepiest Moments You've Had... in Non-Horror Games

PissOffRoth

Jun 29, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Welcome to the forums, by the way! Hope you enjoy being a member of the Escapist community!

Anyways, for me it would have to be when you run into the "crawler" for the first time in Fable 3. The game was all upbeat and fun, but then it starts going into plain C'thulhu territory. There were also certain "Demon Doors" in Fable 2 that were plain horrifying. Like the room full of an army of statues.
Oh my God, the knights in Fable 2.
The knights. I didn't want to go near them. There was no reason I shouldn't, but... I didn't want to.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
The Madman said:
The Thief series despite not being a horror series has always had a minimum of one 'scary' level in each game with probably the most memorable ones being Return to the Cathedral in Thief: The Dark Project and the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3: Deadly Shadows.
Cripes, I still have never made it through Shalebridge. Creep factor is OVER 9000!

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Metroid, in general, is pretty damn creepy. You are all alone on a strange alien planet or space station. No one is coming to save you if you get into trouble. Some of the creature designs in those games are great...

Metroid Fusion has a boss named Nightmare. The more damage you do to it, it's face starts melting. It also doesn't help that you fight it in a smaller space and it's easy to get cornered against a wall with the damn thing charging at you. The SA-X is also creepy. It chases you if it sees you and you cannot kill it, no matter what. It will decimate you if you let it get near you.

Super Metroid has by far the creepiest title screen music for a non horror game. The combination of that music and the imagery of the title screen just makes for a damn creepy experience, especially if you are a young kid...

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier, but i'm just gonna leave this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS881o8R9LI

Sleix

Dec 31, 2012
The labs in STALKER were horrifying, hell, some could even argue the whole game was. You spend the first five hours or so travelling from place to place in the same area, then you're told to travel to a laboratory, I expected the lab to be filled with scientists, maybe an abandoned lab taken over by bandits? No. None of these things, instead, you're greeted with a chilling silence as you enter, only the buzz of your gouger counter to keep you company, you venture on into the darkness. I was a little creeped out, but it was nothing too bad, then I saw some barrels moving in the corner of the room, I thought they were just bugged and moved on, but low and behold, a pile of crated toppled over infront of me and OH DEAR GOD THEY'RE FLOATING. After running aimlessly through the lab trying to get away from said moving crates, I hear a scuttling noise and it appears I'm getting attacked, as you look to the floor you see a mutilated corpse with a gass mask gnawing at your ankles. And as a massive fuck you, it repeats the "Piss your pants" horror levels all the way through the game, these take the cake for me.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I've experienced the jump scare quite a few times in games that aren't horror, because I wasn't paying attention. Like an enemy is suddenly right next to or behind me when I turn around.

Also, I hate moments where you're in water and there's monsters down there with you. I think there's something like that in Majora's mask, where Link has to swim down into a deep hole where there's large sea snakes or something. I might be remembering it wrong. Guild Wars 2 is kind of the same, since I don't only dislike water combat, but I don't like being under water at all.

I also experienced fear of heights the first time I played minecraft...

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Star Wars: Dark Forces. Anoat Sewers level.
Still freaks me the hell out.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
One: why does this thread go up to page 143?
Two: that one scene from Zelda: Twilight Princess. You know the one.

Yep, still pretty creepy.

BurnedOutMyEyes said:
Also, this.
That's not creepy, that's downright scary. I nearly had a heart attack watching that, haha.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Go to Small Trees in Red Dead Redemption and just crouch down and look around constantly. As soon as you think you're safe- BOOM! Ninja Bear.

Aaron Foltz

Aug 6, 2012
I have a monolith (2001: A Space Odyssey) mod for Skyrim. The closer you get to it the music intensifies, just like in the movie. I came across it by accident forgetting it was installed.

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
Not really creepy, but one recent encounter that I wasn't expecting was in Spec Ops: The Line.

... you encounter a Heavy trooper in the mall in a shop filled with mannequins, and all the lights start flickering on and off, and it makes it seem like the enemy is teleporting around swapping places with the mannequins before you can hit him.

That caught me by surprise.

Aean

Jul 22, 2011
For a non-horror game, the Metroid Prime series had some of the best atmosphere in any game I've ever played. Any enclosed space, especially ones infested with metroids, really gave me shivers and I have to say I still play them every so often, because they have such a great feel to them.

Also, Lavender town can be a little disturbing if you are in the right mood for it.

spacecowboy86

Jan 7, 2010
This came at the perfect time! I've been replaying psychonauts and I just found the "Milla's dark secret" room:

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
Terminate421 said:
Fallout 3, this building

The Dunwich Building

Seriously. This place gives me the chills:

And the basement OH GOD THE BASEMENT
And then there was the Point Lookout expansion that made this place 200% creepier.