Jan 19, 2009
The Tall Nerd said:
lacktheknack said:
The Tall Nerd said:
lacktheknack said:
The Tall Nerd said:
bafrali said:
The Tall Nerd said:
Lets be honest here. You seem to have made up your mind and just come off as the kid who taunts people to feel better about himself. "My toy is better than yours and your toy is stupid because i like mine better". How does that makes sense again?
its more affordable i get more variety and i love it

therefore i think its better

when the hell did it become illegal to prefer something
i think pc gaming besides mmo's

( i wants phantasy star online dos)

is a waste of money, mods or fun and all but tats just how i feel
sorry if i offended your gaming rig but i think its stupid and has a stupid face
The Tall Nerd said:
its more affordable i get more variety and i love it
Ignoring the fact that he already blew up your statement about affordability...

The Tall Nerd said:
i get more variety
http://images.cryhavok.org/d/19196-1/Fillion+Umm.gif

No. Stop speaking. What you say about PCs are invalid. Go back to enjoying your Xbox and stop talking about how it compares to PC, because you're either tweaking us or you literally have NO perspective on what PCs have available.
no one blew up any argument

and it isn't, its how i feel pc gaming is a waste of time i get more variety and more fun out of consoles, if you disagree fine, but you damn sure aren't going to change my opinion because you want me to go away because i offended your pc.

alot of pc games don't appeal to me, therefore alot of them suck, its my opinion
deal with it

pc gaming is a waste of money
And I KNOW you're incorrect, because you demonstrate immense lack of understanding about every aspect of PC gaming. YOU deal with THAT.
my prefence in video games is wrong

you know what, im not going to go in whats wrong with that
You're basing your preference on blatantly incorrect assumptions. THAT IS wrong. If you're going to have a preference, at least have the decency to be accurate about the pros and cons of BOTH sides.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Aaron Sylvester said:
Even Halo and Metroid are games I would've loved to purchase on PC because it's essentially where first person shooters belong,
I'd make an exception for Metroid though, mostly because it was never about the shooting. I used to hate console games that disregarded the strafe-look control setup (which is pretty much perfect for two analog sticks) in favour of a turn/move-look/strafe one (which feels retarded even typing it out) but it never bugged me on Metroid because of the lock-on and the fact that you spend half the game exploring anyway.

That's not to say I wouldn't instantly purchase a PC remake of Trilogy. Holy balls, would that still be awesome.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
CleverCover said:
Imp Emissary said:
:)
Thank you, Courageous Armored Space Hamster.
'salutes' I do my best to stop dumb arguments, sir!
>_< Ah yes. The Dumb. Perhaps the greatest threat to the universe. More unstopable, and more invasive than even the Reapers.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
The Tall Nerd said:
if anyone can make me a VALID pc argument i am all for it, until then
a gaming pc is the worst f*** investment i have ever heard of
Here [http://idolninja.com/sr2.php], have [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/] a [http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-stanley-parable] few [http://www.moddb.com/mods/classic-doom-3] hundred [http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/]. I don't give a damn about nicer graphics (DOOM is still my all-time favorite game), and I could adjust to dual analog controls if I needed to, but until console games become as moddable as their PC counterparts my inner geek will never be satisfied with one.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
CleverCover said:
Imp Emissary said:
:)
Thank you, Courageous Armored Space Hamster.
'salutes' I do my best to stop dumb arguments, sir!
Ironic considering your original post in this thread was one great big equivocation fallacy.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Maze1125 said:
Ironic considering your original post in this thread was one great big equivocation fallacy.
Wait....so both home consoles and PCs aren't giant electronic devices that let me play games and do other stuff with a device that I use to send signals? I'm so sorry.

The argument of what Erin was referring to in her award is still dumb.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
CleverCover said:
Maze1125 said:
Wait....so both home consoles and PCs aren't giant electronic devices that let me play games and do other stuff with a device that I use to send signals? I'm so sorry.
Yes, they are, but that's completely irrelevant.
An equivocation fallacy isn't a matter of mis-applying a definition, it's a matter of using one definition and then trying claim you've proven something about an entirely different definition of the word.

Yes, under the definition you've given, PCs, X-Boxes and phones are all consoles, but that doesn't change a thing, as no-one else in the thread, or the comic, was using that definition of the word "console" other than you.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Maze1125 said:
An equivocation fallacy isn't a matter of mis-applying a definition, it's a matter of using one definition and then trying claim you've proven something about an entirely different definition of the word.

Yes, under the definition you've given, PCs, X-Boxes and phones are all consoles, but that doesn't change a thing, as no-one else in the thread, or the comic, was using that definition of the word "console" other than you.
The original argument was about Erin's wording of the award for the iOS FPS game. Her award was "The game we wish was on a console". Then someone said, "No, the game that should be on a PC :p". Then it started a huge PC vs Console war.

My post was referring to how "console" could cover both PC and everything else, so the exact wording of her award shouldn't matter.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
CleverCover said:
Maze1125 said:

The original argument was about Erin's wording of the award for the iOS FPS game. Her award was "The game we wish was on a console". Then someone said, "No, the game that should be on a PC :p". Then it started a huge PC vs Console war.

My post was referring to how "console" could cover both PC and everything else, so the exact wording of her award shouldn't matter.
Except that if you're willing to change the way the original person used a word you can assume anyone meant anything you want.
That not reasonable, the only reasonable thing to do is take a word in the way the person originally meant it, anything else is twisting their words to suit yourself.

Given that, do you honestly think the original comic was using a definition of "console" that generally applies to industrial equipment, rather than the definition that generally applies to gaming devices?

Sean Rossignol

May 18, 2012
dystopiaINC said:
you know i hate WASD when I'm playing anything on a PC. sorry yes a mouse is nice for aiming in an FPS but I always find the mouse is way too sensitive and I have to turn it to the minimum setting and running around with WASD feels terrible and I can't stand it. it feels unnatural and my fingers start to hurt in under 15 minutes, moving with a joystick is way better IMO. I'm so used to joysticks now that running around in any FPS on a console feels fluid and natural honesty I never got that when I tried the PC and PC is what i started out on before I got my first console.
This, in a sense. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion. Yes, the framerate might be higher (currently, until the next console jump), and yes, you may be able to pull off snazzier graphics on a PC. But I will always argue that keyboard and mouse has its own faults in FPS control. I'll admit that a mouse allows for slightly higher precision without the need of aim assist - though a good number of PC shooters still use it. However I'm so used to an analog for aiming in games like Halo that I never feel I'm lacking in precise aim. I set the sensitivity pretty high now, so it isn't like the aim is more sluggish than a mouse. And at least I don't have to worry about my primary aiming tool slipping on the table during a frantic shootout and sending my sights reeling.

But more than that, I will never defend WASD for movement. I absolutely cannot stand that for most games, FPS included, your movement options generally boil down to "stopped" and "running full tilt." At best you have MORE buttons designated to movement just to allow you to walk, which on top of the ridiculous mapping involved in your superior control layout, leads to my hand cramping up. Constantly. I don't need early carpal tunnel this young. An analog stick is just more fluid for smooth, precise movement, and unless you fork out for a pressure sensitive gaming keyboard I don't see that changing in the slightest.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Yes, a control stick is indisputably better than a keyboard for FPS movement.

But, what's more important in an FPS, aim, or movement?

Well if you put two people up against each other, one that can move on any axis at any speed, and the other who can make a headshot in a fraction of a second regardless of where their opponent moves, I can tell you which one of those two is going to win the match.

Now, a game like Mirror's Edge on the other hand, I would never play with a keyboard and mouse, controller all the way there.

Really, what I want is a control system that puts a mouse in my right hand and reasonably sized control stick in my left.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Maze1125 said:
Except that if you're willing to change the way the original person used a word you can assume anyone meant anything you want.
That not reasonable, the only reasonable thing to do is take a word in the way the person originally meant it, anything else is twisting their words to suit yourself.

Given that, do you honestly think the original comic was using a definition of "console" that generally applies to industrial equipment, rather than the definition that generally applies to gaming devices?
Actually, yeah. I do, but I'm not Mr. Grey or Mr. Cory so I'm not in their heads. Are you?

If you choose to believe they meant everything non-PC, then ok. I went with the definition of console that I found and chose to believe that the award is covering all the bases.

I might be wrong and he put it there meaning only Xbox's and PS3s. You might be wrong and he meant everything. Unless he decided to answer, although I'm pretty sure he's just laughing at both of us right now, we will never truly know.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Maze1125 said:
Really, what I want is a control system that puts a mouse in my right hand and reasonably sized control stick in my left.
They exist! [http://www.mavit.co.uk/splitfish-fragfx-barracuda-joystick-and-mouse-set--fragfx-barraduda--the-splitfish-fragfx-barracuda-8906-p.asp]

A lot of them are multiformat, too. They usually work with both the PC and 360 and some of them support PS3, too.

Although far too few games really take advantage of an analogue stick =[ Most of them still only have two or three different movement speeds.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Maze1125 said:
They exist! [http://www.mavit.co.uk/splitfish-fragfx-barracuda-joystick-and-mouse-set--fragfx-barraduda--the-splitfish-fragfx-barracuda-8906-p.asp]

A lot of them are multiformat, too. They usually work with both the PC and 360 and some of them support PS3, too.

Although far too few games really take advantage of an analogue stick =[ Most of them still only have two or three different movement speeds.
Cool, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing them out. That's really great!

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Bindal said:
Honestly, if THAT is the "highest award possible", then I as developer would feel a bit insulted, actually. Because unless your name is "Halo" or "Metroid", a FPS belongs to PC and not on a console, god dangit!
I agree, but in the grand scheme of things I rather have a console version of a FPS than a iOS or Android version.
Other than Cut the rope, Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and some Tower Defense games smart phones are shit for mobile gaming.

Owning a Samsung Galaxy SII, a Nintendo 3DS and a Sony PS Vita I can tell you now the phone has the least amount of actual play time. Over all Gaming on a mobile phone sucks, it is partially why the Nokia N-Gage failed in the market.

Maybe of I synch up a bluetooth controller like the iCade 8bitty or a Wii Remote to my phone but that go against having games on a mobile phone in the first place.