Critical Miss: #23

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
McMarbles said:
Tomtitan said:
LOL! 11/10!

It's so true though...

It's referencing the opening cinematic, which laboriously shows the main character getting a Marine suit put on (which he then stays in for the rest of the game), the cutscene ending with him saying 'it's about time'. But of course, as anyone who has played multiplayer will testify, one marine will be killed pretty quickly by a swarm of Zerglings.

For the swarm!
Oh, so it's one of those things that's only funny if you're familiar with the series.

*polite chuckle for the effort*
Oh come on, I've never played a starcraft game in my life, but I got it perfectly fine. It works if you've just about ever played a game with cutscenes in it.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Galad said:
awesomeClaw said:
What? I´m sorry, but i don´t get it. Could someone explain to me, please?
Not a StarCraft player here, but I think it refers to how the Terran gets zerg-rushed. I assume "hell, it's about time" is a 'trademark line' so to say, of this particular Terran character, the guy with the cigar..
It's based off the trailer (shown several time in this thread already), which shows a Marine getting ready for battle. It makes him look incredibly bad ass and powerful and the 'hell, it's about time' line is an inside joke related to the fact that it took 12 years for the sequal to come around.

However, in the game itself, Marines are extremely fragile units which die off in matters of seconds in any serious fight. They aren't Warhammer 40k's Marine. They aren't uber bad asses... unlike what the trailer seems to tell us.

So when 'Mr. Badass' come out of the base, he gets killed by a bunch of Zerg before he even finishes his line. It's making fun of the difference between the promotional material and the actual gameplay.

Picture a movie trailer where we see Jason Statham (or another hollywood tough guy) looking incredibly bad ass and doing some crazy stunts... and than in the movie, he dies like a ***** in the first 5 minutes...

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Nice comic, humorous as usual, not hilarious, but I'm going to assume having played Starcraft 2 was a requirement for this to have full effect.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Straying Bullet said:
I still don't get it. But that's because I have no affiliation with Starcraft at all.
That video is the building of a terran marine (The most basic unit of the humans), which are made from the barracks. The comic shows one being suited up ready to kick ass, followed by him 'in game' coming out of the barracks in the middle of a zerg rush. Zergling rushes are an infamous tactic (Which I'm amazed if you don't know about them) which consist of loads of little critter aliens called zerglings just rushing at the enemy base and overwhelming them at the start of the game.

Basically it's showing how that over the top looking trailer of kick ass clashes with the actual power level of the in-game unit. The jokes a pretty good one but obviously, not knowing starcraft, it'll have been utterly lost on you and this explanation has totally killed the funny in it. Sorry about that.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
XD O the truth hurts, in a gruesome flesh rending kinda hurt!

yes but remember your typical marine is a resocialized criminal earmarked for death anyways :D

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Delusibeta said:
awesomeClaw said:
It's a parody of this: Snip.
You know, I knew there was a terran marine cinematic, and I guessed the comic was a parody of that. So I went on youtube to do some research, and all I could find was this: A video with the exact same joke...

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
A single barracks? That player is insane! You need at least 4 to keep a steady flow a Gauss Rifle rounds flowing. This was very funny, I like the obvious moment of "Oh crap" he has after exiting the barracks. I'd say keep it up, but you'll do that regardless.

Count Lieberkuhn

Jul 31, 2008
Jonluw said:
Delusibeta said:
awesomeClaw said:
It's a parody of this: Snip.
You know, I knew there was a terran marine cinematic, and I guessed the comic was a parody of that. So I went on youtube to do some research, and all I could find was this: A video with the exact same joke...
That was actually funnier than the comic, but mainly because of the ending - the epicness of the music as it begins to build another lone marine :D

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
DynamicPenguin said:
Is it weird that I get 3 Zealot rushed more often then I get Zerg rushed?
Alas, that's not unusual at all. Zealots are fairly OP against Zerg. Well, so is Terran. By the Swarm, Zerg sucks...

OT: I'm afraid that I use that tactic more than I'd like to admit when playing Zerg... I can't help it that Zerglings are so damned effective once you get the wall down!