Critical Miss: Children of Steam #1

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
TrogzTheTroll said:
Wasn't it Eclair yesterday? Now it's donuts.
it was actually eclair this morning. i noticed that too. the only guess i have is that people couldn't figure out what an eclair is

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
True Nero said:
TrogzTheTroll said:
it was actually eclair this morning. i noticed that too. the only guess i have is that people couldn't figure out what an eclair is
Honest answer? I had to go in and change the strip (some really bad typos there, I don't know how they got through) and Photoshop refused to do the accented little E for eclairs.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
Grey Carter said:
True Nero said:
TrogzTheTroll said:
Honest answer? I had to go in and change the strip (some really bad typos there, I don't know how they got through) and Photoshop refused to do the accented little E for eclairs.
ohhhh. i see. So i guess we were just hoping this would go by unnoticed then, huh? =P thanks for the fact and keep up the great work ^.^

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
I feel a little sorry for Valve, they can't even so much as breath without someone calling Gabe Newell a fatass or complaining about episode 3.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
Jesus Phish said:
I've often wondered what happens if Steam was to close. Would they release DRM removal kits to everyone before they closed, freeing up the games. Or would they hide behind legal stuff and try get out and leave us all to go online and look for cracks ourself.
No one ever reads the terms and conditions.
Take a quick read, My ed games design teacher showed us.
You don't own those games, you own the right to play them.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Lucifer dern said:
Jesus Phish said:
I've often wondered what happens if Steam was to close. Would they release DRM removal kits to everyone before they closed, freeing up the games. Or would they hide behind legal stuff and try get out and leave us all to go online and look for cracks ourself.
No one ever reads the terms and conditions.
Take a quick read, My ed games design teacher showed us.
You don't own those games, you own the right to play them.
Of course people don't read them. They're stupidly long and usually written in jargon that puts people off reading them. As someone else has said, Valve have gone on record to say they've something in place in case they ever went down.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
RastaBadger said:
edthehyena said:
I can't decide if I find this hilarious or horrifying...
Horrifying. Definitely horrifying.
+1 for definitely horrifying.

I mean c'mon, a truck-sized soda o_O
(and here I wish the forums would preserve breaklines when formatting posts because the comical effect is lost without them).

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
True Nero said:
TrogzTheTroll said:
I know what an "éclair" is to me (a.k.a. a very tasty bakery product that is frakking hard to find where I now live), but what did you mean by "eclair" ?

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
UberaDpmn said:
wildpeaks said:
True Nero said:
TrogzTheTroll said:
I know what an "éclair" is to me (a.k.a. a very tasty bakery product that is frakking hard to find where I now live), but what did you mean by "eclair" ?
People didn't know what an eclair was?

Really?

Fail.
Never EVER underestimate the [stupidity and] lack of knowledge of people, it's an unlimited natural ressource.

Spend enough time in UX development and you'll fortunately lose all hope in humanity's survival.
Also: lolcats.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Guest_Star said:
Meh... Steam, Schmeam.
Asides from a couple of stupid titles that DEMAND I remain connected to the Steam (even if I have the actual factual retail discs) I wouldn't be affected (and that is the reason we have cracks).
Most'a my games are from GamersGate or GOG anyways.
As opposed to all those non-factual retail discs out there. Hoo boy.

Anyways, if Steam shut down, I'd kind of be annoyed for awhile. I guess. It'd suck for awhile, but I think I'd get over it.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I doubt he'd shut down steam unless he was suicidal. Didn't even know of the guy who made Steam before this.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
yes that would indeed be the end of the world for me. 160+ games goes kaputs! Id have to do go outside O.O oh the HORROR! x.X

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
matrix3509 said:
The detail you are all missing is I'm pretty sure authentification is not a word, and if it is, it is completely the wrong word to use in that situation.

/Grammer Nazi
Every time someone calls Gabe Newell fat, he adds an F to a word in the english lexicon... and everyone else has to use it too!

redbeta22 said:
Please let Steam close down soon. I hate the stranglehold they have on the PC market.
To be fair they only have that stranglehold because no other competitor has ever managed to "get right" every aspect of value-added that steam has, so nobody has exactly earned the right to compete seriously. Most of the other entries in the field are tripe like Games For Windows Live, which is obviously the product of multiple different development teams whose management staff either lack teamwork skills or are outright in a feud with one another.

If someone was actually capable of scraping together a competitor that didn't fail significantly at something customers currently receive from Steam, we wouldn't have that issue.

It's not like there isn't enough venture capital out there for established players to develop such a thing, either. They're just not competent enough to develop one yet. There are several good alternatives that do fewer things and do them well, but they still do fewer things, so people are going to be drawn to where the features they want are consolidated together.

A monopoly is never a good thing, but we have the competition to blame for that. Even competitors like Microsoft, which is a company that has specialized in questionably legal anti-competitive practices (and been ruled guilty of many clearly illegal ones), hasn't managed to edge their way in, because the competition has been about the appeal of the product to the customer, rather than the typical tools of monopolism: crime and subterfuge.