Critical Miss: Children of Steam #1

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Id be pretty upset if steam went down as that Holiday sale just ended and I'd lose access to a crapton of the games I just got for :p

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
If that happened my mind would do a 890 degree spin and propel itself out the top of my head, no L4D2 or Half-Life? Screw that, I've got bored of everything else at the moment.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
it wont matter to me because i buy video games in the box...always have...we dont need Steam to play our games.... LET GO BACK TO BUYING THEM WITH THEIR LEET BOXES

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
I wouldn't even be in a situation for concern except that my recent games require it (nap tw, emp tw, civ 5)

Though I do recall reading about this in PC Gamer that Valve would simply relinquish the need for steam to run the games or something like that.

JordanXlord said:
it wont matter to me because i buy video games in the box...always have...we dont need Steam to play our games.... LET GO BACK TO BUYING THEM WITH THEIR LEET BOXES
Sorry, but what planet do you live on? I always bought my games in boxes, in fact I've only ever bought ONE game online (Silent Hunter III, which had ceased to be put on disks). All the rest have been boxes and I wish that it'd remain that way but other than Walmart, Best Buy and such its become harder to find PC games in stores, or at least find something other than the biggest of the big titles.

And when I do get my games in a box nowadays there's the lovely "Requires Steam account for activation and use"

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I think this is a reference to Torchwood: Children of Earth but I'm not confident enough to say for sure *awaits confirmation or correction from someone*

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
If steam dies... Goodbye TF2. I don't think I could live through losing my Precious Ullapool Caber...

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Good thing Steam's user agreement guarantees that if it was ever shut down, they'll sned you the disks of the game so you can still play them. Or, like, a download link. Or something.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Omega Pirate said:
If they shut down steam..... I won't be effected at all. =) Truthfully I would love to get a steam account, but there are some hurdles. My PC is old and won't run most new games, and my laptop is Mac. Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

So is the fat guy the director of Valve?
Actually Steam is on the Mac and has been releasing games to the platform for a few months now.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
At this point is Steam croaked I'd be out about 220 games. It would L4D3, PC gamer-style...

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
* googles gabe newell pictures *

* SNORT *

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

That being said, it would be JUST my luck that steam shut down after me spending over 200 dollars on the christmas sale.... :'(

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I am not a fan of Steam and purchase all of my games through retail, so such a turn of events would not affect me (infact, I think I would appretiate it if future Valve games were free from mandatory Steam use...).

That said, I think it is important for customers to have options and it would be terrible if people lost all of their games (even though they were aware of such a risk when they started using Steam). For that reason, I wouldn't want Steam to shut down.

I just wish I didn't have to use Steam when using a retail copy. -_-

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I switched to consoles, so Gabe can do what the fuck he wants with Steam.
As long as Portal 2 still comes to the PS3...

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Valve does has a protocol in place to shut down Steam, but it disconnects all game's dependency first so no products remain unusable. That's what they say, anyway; I'm sure as long as Steam remains profitable (read: as long as there are PCs), they have absolutely no intent or need to shut it down. It's what we call a "business".

Besides. Gabe Newell is an avid knife collector and a fan of international subterfuge. I'm pretty certain he could come up with an infinitely more creative way to bring about the end of the world...

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
If steam ever goes down, we arm the lads and form a mob! WE WILL HAVE NEWELL'S HEAD! Who is with me?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Shale_Dirk said:
So, yeah. Grammar is spelled with an a.
moose_man said:
It's funny because that's not how you spell grammar.

But yeah, this'd be horrifying. I'm working at getting a gaming Pc since a good 80% of my games don't work on mine, so that'd be a lot of WORK wasted too.
Apparently grammar related humor doesn't translate very well over the intartubes. >_<

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Omega Pirate said:
If they shut down steam..... I won't be effected at all. =) Truthfully I would love to get a steam account, but there are some hurdles. My PC is old and won't run most new games, and my laptop is Mac. Steam does not yet have many Mac games on it, when it does ill get it.

So is the fat guy the director of Valve?
I'm one of a few Windows/Linux user links in social circle made up almost entirely of mac users (I.M.O Apple cultists). Aside from the iphone games, all the video games they play are from Steam.

Almost every VALVe title runs on Macs and are downloadable through Steam and they have a huge selection. On the plus side, they also support cross compatibility where if you purchase or register a game through them, and they have a Mac and PC version, you would own both and the client will correctly download the right one.

And yes, Gabe Newell is the whale founder and Holy Emperor of the VALVe company.