Critical Miss: Darkly Dreaming Daxter

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Darkmantle said:
I've never actually watched dexter, or played jak and daxster, so nothing about this weeks comic makes sense to me :D
I missed this strip somehow.

To explain it in detail "Dexter" is about a sociopathic seriel killer that works as a blood splatter analyst for the police department. His adopted father who was a disgruntled police officer taught him to only kill bad people and how to cover up up his crimes and adhere to a code of conduct that allowed him to remain hidden.

The show generally works because Dexter's victims deserve it. He also gradually grapples with slowly humanizing and realizing he has the emotions he believed he didn't possess, and so on.

The problem is of course that the original concept of "vigilante psycho-killer" was too intense for TV. This lead to them gradually changing the character so instead of say cutting up people while they were alive and struggling he killed them with one quick, and compassionate stab. Not to mention an increasing focus on the human aspects of the character, his relationships, and other assorted things. While originally entertaining as part of him keeping his cover, it gradually seemed to get turned into a sort of comedy.

I can't speak for the books it's based on (having never read them, which is actually kind of odd for me) but it's a TV show that started out strong, and gradually went down hill, and turned into something quite unlike what it was before. To be honest I can't even say Dexter's characterization makes much sense anymore for reasons I won't get into.

At any rate, the joke here is simply to take a cute cartoon mascot whose name is very similar and cast him in the role of the killer. Dexter's MO is to create a "kill room" of hanging plastic wrap, restrain his victim to a flat surface with more plastic wrap, and then stab them. Then he rolls the whole thing up, dismembers the corpse, and tosses the wrapped pieces off his boat.

I believe Game Informer did a similar joke in one of their yearly "Game Infarcer" sections with an ad for the game "Jak and Dexter".