Critical Miss: Dragon Age 2

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
You make it sound as if the Metacritic "scandal" was an official BioWare initiative and not the singular effort of a DA2 developer praising his own game.

You make it sound as if the vestiges of SecuROM on the game that no-one cried foul about until it was "exposed" by a single website is a game-breaking issue.

You make it sound like sucking at PR is a new concept for EA.

Way to jump on the hysteria bandwagon, guys. I wouldn't call this comic a lie, or a "nega-truth". It's just plain old ignorance.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Seems to me that the players of this game is divided into a couple of camps:

The players who went into it guarded, but with open minds and willing to suspend their expectations and were willing to engage the game on its own terms. These people all seems generally positive and pleased. (Also, there are fanboys, but who the fuck cares about them?)

Then there are the people who keep thumping their chests in righteous indignation at the game for failing to live up their personal, and very specific, ideas of what a Dragon Age game is supposed to be. As if they would know. Clearly, I don't need to point out intellectually dishonest, and outright arrogant that is. That they are disappointed is obvious, and irrelevant.

And then, of course, there are the people who keep pointing out the marketing blunders, as if it was important.

I haven't played much of the game, myself, but I am struck at how human it is compared to Origins. The art direction is much more distinct, and the facial animations (there actually are any!) open up for some genuine immersion during dialogue and cut scenes. Especially considering that the characters are among the best Bioware has crafted thus far. The frequent re-using of scenery is occasionally annoying, especially when they haven't even bothered to update the maps, but as long as you're in Kirkwall, it's fine.

And no, it's not Dragon Effect, it's Jade Age.

8bitlove2a03

Mar 25, 2010
I have an odd feeling that Blondie McKnife-ears in the background looking at that sheep is going to become much funnier when I eventually play this game.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
BobDobolina said:
Ajna said:
this isnt my name said:
I get tired of the Welsh jokes, atleast have somthing to back up the things, like Americas obesity problem.
It's funny, because I have this crazy feeling you haven't even been to America, so you only have news outlets to rely on for the "obesity problem".[rant snipped]
Wow. Somebody hit a nerve.

But yeah. Nobody who's ever been to America could come away with the impression that a large percentage of the country really sits around the house when it sits around the house. Totally absurd.
Yes, totally absurd, but unlike you, I don't say that sarcastically.

The average American is no fatter than, to pick a country "completely at random", the average Canadians.

Also, nice passive aggressive use of the term "rant snipped" when it was literally four sentences. One paragraph of disagreement is a "rant" now, I suppose.

I don't claim America to be inherently better than other countries, but to claim it is inherently worse without any proof is just asinine.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
It doesn't have SecuROM. Learn to use a computer.

EDIT: Allow me to expand upon this. When the game is installed, Sony Release Control distributes two files to the user's temp folder and deletes itself. The files in the temp folder are identified as SecuROM because they call on similar functions, but they are inactive. As in, they don't do anything. You can delete them and nothing will happen.

If there is SecuROM in this game, then it remains undiscovered and unreported. The thing that has been reported is not SecuROM. This has gone beyond being a misunderstanding and become a myth. People are so eager to believe that EA, being the antichrist, has thrown everything they don't like into every new game. While there are a lot of things worth criticizing EA for (their marketing, business practices, etc), this is not one of them.

Jerusalem

Jan 20, 2011
So I bought DA2. It's still in her shiny wrappers, since I decided to play the pirate version instead. And my life is better because of that. QED for the problems facing AAA industry, I guess. Sure doesn't make me feel like buying many games with what limited budget I have to use for entertainment. But I guess natural selection will eventually work these problems out.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
James Raynor said:
It's dragon effect now.
Yeah I was afraid of that. One of the reasons I am waiting for a cheap game of the year edition. I will stick to that if they keep rushing them out. I am going to go ahead and pick up ME3 as it is the last in the series and I like the feeling they create for it. Matches the setting in my opinion.

As for the comic: made me laugh. Keep them coming!

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
once again a "no getter" because i dont get it.
and i 'd rather play risen and risen2.
arkania can sock it , because it is just a stolen copy.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
To be fair, I bet that review writer played the game once. Therefore, he's technically a "user", making his review a "user review".

Also, Dragon Age 2 is the best game evar. It totally has awesome quets and skillz that make you leetz. And itll totally max out your gamerscore like the cool cats... (oh, wait dammit) umm, "cool dawgz".

(Hauls off phat lootz from Bioware)

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
Zeetchmen said:
Feel sorry for all the people that ended up buying the "RPG of the decade" ^o^
As someone who loves DA:O and DA2, I can confidently say you don't need to feel sorry for me ;)

this

i actaully enjoyed dragon age 2

fundude365

Dec 12, 2007
this isnt my name said:
Nocta-Aeterna said:
Is there an elf, flirting with a sheep in the background?
*sigh* The dalish in this Game were Welsh, Irish and Scottish, its a Welsh joke. (I get tired of the Welsh jokes, atleast have somthing to back up the things, like Americas obesity problem. The Ssheep joke shouldnt even exist.)

However I found this amusing all of BWs recent PR fails in one image.
Most jokes in the vein are now tired stereotypes that only have the barest justification for their existence. Just take comfort in the fact that whoever is telling the joke, even if its in a really ironic way, usually ends up looking like a much bigger fool than whoever the target of their joke was.

Jul 11, 2008
Worr Monger said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
JeanLuc761 said:
Zeetchmen said:
Feel sorry for all the people that ended up buying the "RPG of the decade" ^o^
As someone who loves DA:O and DA2, I can confidently say you don't need to feel sorry for me ;)
Seconded! I love this game! it's fantastic!
Thirded. Haters gonna hate.
F...Fourthed?
DA2 kicked ass. I hope DA3 is closer in gameplay to DA2, than to DA1 and its clunky combat system.

I mean, here's the thing. I didn't really like the combat system in DAO, but you know what? I didn't throw a big hissy fit over it. I enjoyed the game for what it was, and got past my issues with it.
Haters need to get past the issues they have with DA2, instead of hating one thing about it, and then coming up with excuses to hate every other thing about it.

OT: Funny comic, though. Not as good as CAD ones.