Critical Miss: The Dragonslayer

Mirror Cage

Dec 6, 2010
Hee hee. That made my night.

It also reminded me of something that had been worrying me: if a dargon decides that he wants to give the guy lizard who has slain at least an entire family line of his kin a break, and swoops down on you in a town, full of handy overhangs with which to block his incendiary halitosis, do the normal townsfolk run for cover? I have not seen a (non-guard) NPC attacking a dargon yet, nor have I seen any charred peasants on the street after the fight, and to my knowledge, am not missing any NPCs that do not normally die during quests.

I get that that was the entire point of the comic, but I have never seen it myself.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
I was wondering what the design meeting for this was like:
Bethesda employee one: "Okay so nobody liked the cliff racers in morrowind..."
Bethesda employee two: "So we should avoid making a creature that swoops down from the sky and interrupts whatever you're doing right?"
B1: "Was that people's problem with cliffracers?"
B2: "What do you mean?"
B1: "Clearly the problem was that the cliffracers weren't large enough. The only logical thing to do is to bring the cliffracers back, but make them ten times bigger!"
B2: "Excelsior!"

And suddenly everyone loves them.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Ghengis John said:
I was wondering what the design meeting for this was like:
Bethesda employee one: "Okay so nobody liked the cliff racers in morrowind..."
Bethesda employee two: "So we should avoid making a creature that swoops down from the sky and interrupts whatever you're doing right?"
B1: "Was that people's problem with cliffracers?"
B2: "What do you mean?"
B1: "Clearly the problem was that the cliffracers weren't large enough. The only logical thing to do is to bring the cliffracers back, but make them ten times bigger!"
B2: "Excelsior!"

And suddenly everyone loves them.
And now that we have dragons they NEED to bring the actual cliffracers back so they can kill all the dragons like they did in Vvardenfell.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
John the Gamer said:
It would also be awesome if they had nests in caves and on mountains where you can sneak up on them whilst they're sleeping. I miss that feature a lot. Dragons have to sleep too you know? Give a stealthy non-combat character a chance at doing a 15x sneak attack on those eil lizards. Please?
There are mountains guaranteed to have dragons on, just look for the dragons head on the compass. And they can also be snuck (is that a word?) up on. They see you if they are looking at you though, but I did it yesterday by climbing over the back of the mountain, then attacking his tail which was dangling from where he was perched.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
nyysjan said:
Jaranja said:
Mista Miggins said:
I think the NPCs are communists.

If one of them has a problem, the entire city will fight to the death to resolve it,
Y'know... I terrified myself earlier.

I was walking through Riverwood and I was a bit pissed off. I ended up punching a chicken that was roaming around. The second my blow landed, I heard an uproar from behind me. It turns out that chicken was their mayor in disguise or something because I got chased out of town by every single person and their Mum.

Ended up having to turn myself in at Whiterun to be able to complete quests.
Which goes to show how good a survival strategy that is for the communities.
You mess with one of them, and you mess with all of them, and they all kick your ass.
So you end up not messing with them at all out of self preservation.
Actually, I was more bringing attention to the fact that I punched a chicken but... Alright, Survival strategies of communities is good too...

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Only time I've seen a dragon attack a town was in Morthal. In a tiny place with houses made of wood, it kind of makes sense for the villagers to attack the dragon. They're gonna die anyway...
I saved them, and was then treated to 5 or 6 different people saying exactly the same thing in different voices. Something along the lines of 'So you're the dragonborn they spoke of'. I forget, it was a few weeks ago Skyrim time.

Actually, it'd be kind of cool if you could find places post-dragon attack. Not completely destroyed, still some people around to give quests/explain what's up, but kind of a wreck, and with terrified people in the few unburned corners.

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Actually, the only time I've had them land is with Dragonrend, or when they are at low enough health. Often they will just land (a bit heavily, but no real impact), but if enough damage is dealt to them prior to the landing animation, they will crash to the ground instead, creating a permanent change to the ground (it is laggy sometimes though). Makes sense actually, when hurt enough flying isn't exactly pleasant, and dragons are too prideful to just leave (well, besides that one, but that is a spoiler).

I will agree, however, that they really need to be upped some, or other mobs lowered a bit. That bandit plunderer should not be more deadly than a blood dragon.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Jaranja said:
nyysjan said:
Jaranja said:
Mista Miggins said:

If one of them has a problem, the entire city will fight to the death to resolve it,
Y'know... I terrified myself earlier.

I was walking through Riverwood and I was a bit pissed off. I ended up punching a chicken that was roaming around. The second my blow landed, I heard an uproar from behind me. It turns out that chicken was their mayor in disguise or something because I got chased out of town by every single person and their Mum.

Ended up having to turn myself in at Whiterun to be able to complete quests.
Which goes to show how good a survival strategy that is for the communities.
You mess with one of them, and you mess with all of them, and they all kick your ass.
So you end up not messing with them at all out of self preservation.
Actually, I was more bringing attention to the fact that I punched a chicken but... Alright, Survival strategies of communities is good too...
Chickens are a food source, you do not let people mess with your source of food.

darknight910

Apr 15, 2008
Soooooo... Why is Ken Masters in Skyrim?

No, scratch that. I want to see the dragon get hit by a Dragon Uppercut!

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Mista Miggins said:

I learnt that the hard way. Attacked an NPC out of curiosity and got whaled on by the whole village. At least the kids did not join in, that would be beyond humiliating.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
OldRat said:
Heh, that was funny. I mean, I don't get the point of it (Unless it's that Skyrim NPCs can be ridiculously tough and will punch the shit out of dragons if need be, AKA the Dragonslayer horse), but that was just funny anyhow.
The very moment a dragon shows up, there's a chance everybody (including your horse) will charge the dragon. If you don't save your game early and often, you might lose your horse or some quest giving NPC might get chewed up a little.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Never have I laughed so hard at one of your comics.
Seriously, good job.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
OldRat said:
Heh, that was funny. I mean, I don't get the point of it (Unless it's that Skyrim NPCs can be ridiculously tough and will punch the shit out of dragons if need be, AKA the Dragonslayer horse), but that was just funny anyhow.
The very moment a dragon shows up, there's a chance everybody (including your horse) will charge the dragon. If you don't save your game early and often, you might lose your horse or some quest giving NPC might get chewed up a little.
I was once attacked by a dragon in Dawnstar. I legged it up a tower to rain arrows, while Lydia, my horse and my pet dog decided to stand their ground and go toe-to-toe with the dragon. Amazingly, only my dog died! Lydia died later though, as in the confusion of the melee I saw someone on the ground crying for mercy and shield-bashed her out of habit. It was her own fault for wearing such generic armour!

On a different occasion, a dragon attacked outside of Riften. I chased it over some hills, and arrived just in time to collect the soul and see two city guards walking away like nothing had happened. They then paused to be impressed by the fact I was a Dragonborn. Props to those guys, they don't let a little dragon fuck up their day.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
On a different occasion, a dragon attacked outside of Riften. I chased it over some hills, and arrived just in time to collect the soul and see two city guards walking away like nothing had happened. They then paused to be impressed by the fact I was a Dragonborn. Props to those guys, they don't let a little dragon fuck up their day.
"You know, maybe I'm Dragonborn and just don't know it yet."

sta697

Mar 31, 2011
there's a chance everyone in skyrim is dragonborn,except perhaps the dragons