Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
crotalidian said:
...Is this actually a real thing that is happening?

I lived in Wales for 3 years and from that experience it is clear that the Welsh have no interest in being part of the Union Jack (or even the UK) the flag is never seen. As English people we are forced to use the 'British' flag because our beloved cross of St George has a nationalist stigma attached to it.

Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
ummm we have that in the US too...its called purto rico....and a few other places really

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
HAHAHA this had me cracking up xD

apologies to Canada (my ex was Canadian so I *could* make it personal :p lol)

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
I'm Welsh, lived here all my life and I found this strip to be funny. Actually the first strip I've ever seen, just because I was curious of the Welsh title.

As for the Dragon on the Jack, it isn't needed. It's on our flag and identifies us pretty well and actually means something in terms of Welsh history and culture. So it wouldn't make sense to be on the flag itself. There's a bit of red on the Jack, that'll do. Even if it is just basically the English flag.

EDIT:

Didn't notice the Catatonia reference at the bottom of the article. That's brilliant.
I hate Catatonia

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
Swaki said:
i had to google union jack, i thought he was talking about the comic, which sounded awesome.

but i get it, it would be like someone putting the horrible colours of *sweden* into my beloved dannebrog.
Not really, Dannebrog getting the colours of Sweden would be like the Union Jack mixing with the French flag.

Dec 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Bah! We were hating on the rest of the world when America was still a twinkle in the eye!
Like father, like son, right?
Nah, we were doing it when the rest of Europe was doing it. That was the norm back then. Britian was just the best at being an arsehole :)

There's no excuse in this day and age.
[sub]I'm looking at you America...[/sub]

GahzlyGriffon

Feb 12, 2009
crotalidian said:
...Is this actually a real thing that is happening?
Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
1)scotland is worse than wales (we atleast have our own language)
2)all out tax goes to where? downing street exactly your moaning about us when the fact is england is the biggest leech on the planet
3)the assembely government can barley decide jack beacause downing street has al the power+ why would you want to sit on our goverment?
4)its this sort of narowminded cach that the english come up with which reinforces the stereotype of ENGLISH
/counterrant

but yeah i found the strip a good laugh at the inside jokes
like when americans take the piss out of canada you wont get it unless you already do

love a good banter with some of my english freinds

Feb 13, 2008
Grey Carter said:
For all my fellow Englishers out there. The title of the strip was originally going to be 'Y ddraig llwy' but I figured the reference might be a little obscure.

LMAO

Oh, Oliver, how we miss your little whistles.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Sodoff said:
Swaki said:
i had to google union jack, i thought he was talking about the comic, which sounded awesome.

but i get it, it would be like someone putting the horrible colours of *sweden* into my beloved dannebrog.
Not really, Dannebrog getting the colours of Sweden would be like the Union Jack mixing with the French flag.
...so the exact same colour scheme?.

i know it wouldent be the exact same, but since sweden and norway are our only "rivals" (as much as we love each other in Scandinavia we still hate other Scandinavians, Swedes being drunks and Norwegians being mountain monkeys :p) and since we all have the same basic flag it was the best example i could think of.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
England's relationship with Wales, is less like the U.S. & Canada and more like the internal relationship of the Northern and Southern states. Even that doesn't seem a good comparison, since Wales and Scotland have been joined in the act of union for centuries and before that were subjugated for long largely unbroken periods of time.

No-one is seriously pushing for the dragon on the flag. Even those that are trying to carve out a national identity through small things like bringing back the Welsh language (practically a dead language at one point) don't usually go that far.

Also it should be pointed out Cornwall has been playing around with the idea of independence for centuries too...

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I'll raise your Welsh jokes and say "English cousin-shaggers" or something along those lines.
For all of the English are terribly inbred and bla-bla-bla.

esperanto

Apr 21, 2009
I live with some welsh people, and I once saw one of them eat a raw potato. That is all.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Summary: English man is upset that the Welsh have it better off.

Abraham Lincoln was part Welsh.

EDIT: Also, dragons (European ones, not the retarded Asian ones) are awesome.

Grey Carter said:
For all my fellow Englishers out there. The title of the strip was originally going to be 'Y ddraig llwy' but I figured the reference might be a little obscure.

Tiny Soup Dragon, need I say more?

kiwisushi

Sep 29, 2008
Hehe, first I heard of the ddraig being put on the UK flag ... ardderchog arfer gan Cymraeg!