Critical Miss: Y Ddraig Cach

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
CrashBang said:
crotalidian said:
...Is this actually a real thing that is happening?

I lived in Wales for 3 years and from that experience it is clear that the Welsh have no interest in being part of the Union Jack (or even the UK) the flag is never seen. As English people we are forced to use the 'British' flag because our beloved cross of St George has a nationalist stigma attached to it.

Wales is worse than Canada, they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs). and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).

I am so glad to have moved to the US. with all its problems at least we doint have to deal with this idiotic system. /rant
How did you move to the US? Tell me your secrets! I'm English, currently going to university in Wales and I just can't stand the UK as a whole. I'm hoping to move to Canada after university. How did you make it happen?

OT: Great strip, loved it. Wales in never ever mentioned in anything American. I don't think most Americans know about Wales, actually... lucky them
That's because we Americans no almost nothing. hopefully this comic will illustrate. all else fails it'll be a link
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/034/c/9/World_View_by_humon.jpg

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
I would never want our beautiful dragon on the union jack! I dont want anything to do with that flag

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
Well, being half Welsh and half English, my Welshness was insulted by the comic, and then my Englishness was insulted by the post... and as always I found it utterly hilarious.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the representation in the Lord of the Ring HAHAHA!! XD

O that is some seriously funny comic strip XD

Assuming the readers here have a sense of humor, otherwise you've just manage to troll the Welsh, the English, and the Canadians. XD GJ on all fronts.

SexMeat

Mar 10, 2010
crotalidian said:
"they are self governed with their own budget and funds but also get tax money from England (we dont see any of theirs)".
We don't have any income to speak of, our biggest source was shut down by Thatcher in the 80s.

crotalidian said:
and they have representatives on our parlaiment to help decide how we spend our money but English members cannot sit on the Welsh parliament (to decide how they spend our money).
We don't have a parliament, you're thinking of the Scottish

I'm Welsh and have lived in South Wales all my life. This article wasn't even partially offensive,neither am I offended by the fact that people in the comments don't like Wales.

What does offend me is that what's being said about Wales in the comments is ill informed or just plain false.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Cant we just have saint George killing their dragon on our flag. Everyone wins. As long as your English and maybe William Wallaces (Bravehearts) head on a pike in the background. Then top it all off with saint George killing the dragon while shiting on a Leprechaun. Genius if I dont say so myself.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Geez, Canadian English isn't that bad. I mean, it actually has vowels. (I've been told Welsh also has vowels but so far have not found proof.)

Dygen Entreri

Sep 23, 2010
The US is the blight on the continent, not Canada! Sheesh. I thought you were supposed to be writing about games, so go back to that please. The last few weeks with this off topic stuff is disapointing.

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
So the author made a racist comic, and people applaud? Yeaaaaaaaahhh...

Edit: Just to point this out - Just because the author put a disclaimer, after another racist joke mind you, doesn't make it alright.

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
Hey, don't go comparing Canada to Wales! They contribute all sorts of things to the international community (by community, I of course mean America)! What's Wales ever done for anybody?

Apr 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
standokan said:
I never even heard about the welsh people before this strip but that doesn't make it less funny.
You've never heard of Wales? o_O
In his defense, Wale's hasn't really done anything to qualify for world-wide recognition. Or if they did, I haven't heard about it.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
"Sheep molesting parasites"

....Sure he wasn't talking about New Zealand then? Ba-dum-tish *shot*

mesoforte

Jan 5, 2010
Wolfram01 said:
Hmm don't really get the anti Welsh, nor as a Canadian, the anti-Canadian in this strip. A bit offensive really. Why don't you go back to making strips about gaming?
Grey Carter said:
On a serious note; In case you didn't get it, the strip is actually making fun of the English (because God knows we don't do that enough) and their bizarre relationship with the rest of the island. As someone pointed out, every nation on the British Isles hates each other, hates England collectively (even England hates England) and only collaborates when we come across the French (whom we hate) or the Americans (whom we also hate)
Its on the first post of the forum, after a picture of a bunch of orcs.

The strip is being intentionally over the top about the insults against the Welsh. That makes it kind of obvious that it isn't being entirely serious. Its a sort of comedy style.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I think the canada remark wasn't too fair. sure, we enjoying poking fun at those maplesyrup-drinking lumberjacks, but i'd never consider them to be a bad thing. if anything, Canada is like America's mature older brother

Edechew

Mar 8, 2010
Just to inform you all, a dragon will never be on the Union Jack because the Welsh are already represented on that flag. It's the diagonal red cross if you're wondering.

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
WingedFortress said:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.

And Wales! Feel free to come by for some free fresh water, food, oil and money. We have plenty here in Canada.

Love,

Winnipeg.
Chillout butthurt Canadian bro, it's just a funny funny joke

and we're all good for fresh water, food, oil and money too! In fact last time I checked The US and UK were way richer than you crazy Canucks with your milk in bags and fetching tartan jackets.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
WingedFortress said:
I would urge England to keep identifying with the Americans at every corner. Mabye if you fight enough of their wars, and adopt enough of their bad habits, you can also have an epic economic failure and alienate yourselves from the rest of the world.
Goverment certainly seems to be trying there damm hardest to out do the US on economic failure, or at the very least pulling the rug from under everyones feet.
If it keeps going the way it is I will be jumping ship soon as I have my degree, UK is looking less friendly to the working class by the day.

OT and more cheery: Fantastic to see a web comic poke fun at the english/welsh "special relationship".

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
Edechew said:
Just to inform you all, a dragon will never be on the Union Jack because the Welsh are already represented on that flag. It's the diagonal red cross if you're wondering.
Actually the diagonal red cross represents Northern Ireland, Wales isnt represented at all.