Crunch Magic Predicts Your Next Favorite Game

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I have to laugh at those of you who are complaining because the first two columns don't reflect your interests: They aren't supposed to. Only the third column is supposed to reflect your interests. (Admittedly, that's slightly pointless, but it does make for a good calibrating tool. If the top of 2012 was Train Simulator 2012 you'd know there was something wrong with the system)

That said, my best guess is that the tools it uses for its predictions are based primarily on other user input. In other words, the more people that get involved, the more likely it is that your guesses will be correct for you.

As a totally stereotypical individual, I found that the games it recommended for me were mostly things I was indeed interested in playing.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
jericu said:
Woah, what the hell? The results in the first two columns are exactly the same as what I got! Only the third is different.

What's the point of showing the first two columns if they're the same for everyone?
There not exactly the same
Col 1
FTL - I own, and I like. Closets I'm getting to Functional Ship combat, and remindes me of MOO2, in a way.
Torchlight 2 - interested but never played
XCom - never played
Farcry 3 - no interest
Dishonored - never played

Col 2
Skyrim - enjoyed
Portal 2 - never played
Terrania - never played
Portal - never played
Fall Out New Vegas - never played

Col 3
Windosill - WTH?
Jetset Radio - Interesting on the Dreamcast
Supreme Commander forged alliance. - I do enjoy strategy
Peggel Nights - again WTH?
Age of Empires III Complete - Yes, I do enjoy strategy.

It's not too unexpected that you'd get similar games in col 1 and 2.
The Questions profile your personality and the games you save profile your PROFILES game tastes.

Col 1 & 2 are probably identical in your case because your personality profiles are very close to each other. Skyrim's probably on everyone's list based on how popular it was over all.

Col 3 is probably more tailored to what you saved than to your personality, and because it's trying to project a "future" preference it's probably highly inaccurate. Then again I did save any JRPG looking game I saw but not one single JRPG. Really, I saved Ys why isn't any Ys like game on my list. But then again it's probably just 16 different profiles that you can fall into, and the odds that any profile has JRPG high on the list is rather low.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
My lists

Top Games of 2012

FTL: Faster Than Light (have had so much fun wandering the Galaxy. The Rebels can rule it, I just want to explore!)
Torchlight 2 (scratched that ARPG itch)
Xcom: Enemy Unknown (Fun the RNG really hated me sometimes)
Far Cry 3 (So many people have recommended this to me it isn't funny any more)
Borderlands 2 (Pitch black humour is the best humour)

Top Games

Team Fortress 2 (the only multiplayer game I play)
Skyrim (climbing mountains all day long)
Civilization 5 (tried the demo but I couldn't really get into it, the game crashing repeatedly didn't help either)
Portal 2 (nice game)
Portal (perfect game)

Just for me

Rocksmith (must have me confused with my siblings, I don't play musical instruments)
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (have it, should play it sometime)
Peggle Nights (Haha. No)
Braid (the Princess is a bomb game? Pass)
Jamestown (multiplayer top-down shooter? Why?)

I am Stoic and Reserved.

I guess two out of three lists isn't bad. The "Stoic and Reserved" was pretty spot on although.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Top Games 2012:

FarCry 3: Didn't play it.
Dishonored: I liked it but wouldn't say it was a top game for me for 2012.
Spec Ops: The Line: Didn't like the shooting elements enough to play it.
Hotline Miami: Awesome.
Crusader Kings: Not my type of game.

Top Games:

Skyrim: Disliked it and Oblivion too.
Portal 2: Awesome. Coop would have been fun if I had a friend with a actual working brain.
Terraria: Not my type of game.
Portal: My favourite game.
Fallout New Vegas: Still sick of Fallout from playing too much Fallout 3.

Just for you:

The Settlers:paths to a Kingdom: No thank you.
Gothic II: No thank you.
The Void: Looks interesting.
Age of Chivalry: No thank you.
Trine: It was fun.

I am unpretentious and shy.

My lists were awful and especially the "Just for You."

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008

I find many of those game suggestions to be questionable.

Why, for instance, would I enjoy Borderlands 2, Hearts of Iron 3, or Street Fighter Super? I mean, I haven't played a fighting game since I was, like, 12 years old, and suffice it to say, I don't own any fighting games on my Steam account. One would imagine that says something about my preference in videogames..

"You're untried and stoic"
Uh. Thanks. I guess..