Crysis 2 Review

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Crysis 2 Review

Until they make a nano-suit for a man of my carriage, this?ll have to do.

Read Full Article

Jul 22, 2009
Hmm the reviews are really praising this...

Looks like I'll probably pick it up eventually, but unfortunately it's been bumped from my 'must have' list by THQ and Bethesda combined...

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I've really been enjoying Crysis 2. Probably one of the better shooters I've played in the last couple of years.

Speaking mostly of the multiplayer:
I'd say the most important aspect in favour of the game is the pacing. The gameplay is very much like CoD, but almost every addition makes for a faster game without sacrificing some of the nicer CoD aspects. So low health, high damage, and good accuracy makes tactical movement important, but sprinting, stealth, jump height, ledge-grabbing, and even the more vertical level layout all speed things up considerably. The level layouts are actually some of the best I've seen in an FPS, actually making use of three-dimensional space in a way that feels realistic without any feeling that the third dimension of movement was just tacked on for gameplay.

The only issues I've had have been with the multiplayer servers and stat servers, which have both been having some problems. But really, those are launch problems and will be/have been fixed pretty quickly.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
If Crysis 2 falls short in any one key area, it's story. Or maybe it's better to say that the story falls short because of the way it's told. The plot itself might be actually enjoyable. The problem is that all the elements are jumbled together and parceled out seemingly at random. You don't even know who your character is supposed to be until a few hours into the game. Even then your character is defined entirely by what he does, which makes all the accompanying melodrama (not to mention the I-so-saw-that-coming twist towards the end), kind of unsatisfying. The campaign itself clocks in around 10 hours, which is long enough to be satisfying, but not so long that you're not likely to go back and play it a different way.
http://kotaku.com/#!5513872/crysis-2-writer-on-modern-warfare-2-story-jesus-what-have-you-been-doing

"I thought Modern Warfare 2 was an immense disappointment," Morgan told CVG. "It was a massive stepdown from CoD4. What I thought when I played it was, 'Jesus guys, what have you been doing? You've not ramped anything up. The story is worse and the game doesn't really hang together, it's just a bunch of mission levels.'"

"It made no sense. It was totally implausible," Morgan added. "It doesn't resolve. Basically, all the things that bad storytelling does. I just think they were way too impressed with themselves and that's always a danger. It's just unfortunate."
Yeah, the writer doesn't sound like a complete hypocrite or anything...

Regardless, I actually cancelled my pre-order of this game after playing the demo, I'll probably get it when the price drops slightly; as the reviews of the single player sound highly promising.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
HerbertTheHamster said:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.
Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...

Apr 28, 2008
I don't know, I fail to see how New York is a fresh environment. Been there in plenty of games.

As for the review itself, don't agree that much. Then again I played on the PC, and I was pretty underwhelmed. Especially in the multiplayer. Just felt too much like Call of Duty to me, But with the ability to jump high and go invisible. And they could have done so much more with it. They take the nanosuit, a pretty interesting device, and put it into an uninteresting multilayer experience. There's just so much more you could do with it.

Like a race mode, players race through a City, Mirror's Edge style, and have to use all of the suits powers to navigate it.

Or a predator-type game, where one player has all the suits powers activated(cloak, strength), and "hunts" the other players.

Or Time Attack challenges, to see how fast you can clear an area. Would require expert use of the suit, and could be fun.

But no, they just go for a Call of Duty clone. God dammit.

Haven't played the single-player fully yet, since I just played at a friend's place. But the story was rather fun. Multiplayer was just boring. I'll get it when the price drops.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
D_987 said:
HerbertTheHamster said:

Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...
This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
yes, crysis is awesome and i am sitting on box that will not open until i upgrade my hardware in may

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I agree with one part of the review, pretty graphics and set pieces are pretty. I also like the idea of switching tactics during battle that actually play different.

I might actually try this game out now, seems like something I'd really enjoy.

The Zango

Resident stoner and Yognaught
Apr 30, 2009
Argh! Why did I order this game from Play.com?! If I'd ordered it from somewhere reliable I could be playing it NOW! Seriously, the wait to play this game is horrible, especially since it looks absolutely awesome.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
hmm i should play crysis 1 first lol. which i shall do soon, for $10. then buy this when its on special or something.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
I'm not buying this story. From what I can tell there are lots of options but I can guarantee in multiplayer it'll be exactly like CoD tactic-less berserk spraying.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Jaime_Wolf said:
I've really been enjoying Crysis 2. Probably one of the better shooters I've played in the last couple of years.

Speaking mostly of the multiplayer:
I'd say the most important aspect in favour of the game is the pacing. The gameplay is very much like CoD, but almost every addition makes for a faster game without sacrificing some of the nicer CoD aspects. So low health, high damage, and good accuracy makes tactical movement important, but sprinting, stealth, jump height, ledge-grabbing, and even the more vertical level layout all speed things up considerably. The level layouts are actually some of the best I've seen in an FPS, actually making use of three-dimensional space in a way that feels realistic without any feeling that the third dimension of movement was just tacked on for gameplay.

The only issues I've had have been with the multiplayer servers and stat servers, which have both been having some problems. But really, those are launch problems and will be/have been fixed pretty quickly.
Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about in regards to Crysis.

I'll probably grab this eventually, personally I don't much care for stories anymore. I'd just like a good, fun shooter.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
why are the aliens now red instead of blue =P but seriously, ive just finished it, im confused as hell but i bloody enjoyed every min of it... i wish that they had linked back to the first game a bit more... to me now, everything from the first game seems to have been forgotten, apart from prophet

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Do note that this is based on the 360 version, thus most complaints about the PC version (poor textures, complete lack of graphics options, sheer laziness in porting) doesn't apply.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
So they actually added true stealth kills this time. Good.

I mean, I was happy to use quick buttons to uncloak, switch to strength mode, bash enemies in the back of the head, then switch back to stealth in less than a second, but I like the idea of neck-snapping more.