Crysis 2 Review

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
you dont think bioshocks story is any good?
The plot itself, not really. What exactly is the meaning and value behind spending a few hours saving the trees in Arcadia or assembling a Big Daddy suit? There isn't any, it's just entertainment. Filler, if you're feeling bitter. Toying with the issue of player agency is the only thing for which Bioshock needs an interactive medium, otherwise the plot would just as well fit a book. And that book would probably be labelled "young-adult pulp-adventure" like thousands of other books.

But pretty much all games are like this. Classical narrative theory falls apart disastrously when forced into an interactive environment. JRPGs are a good example - their stories are often long and complex (actual depth... varies wildly), but they usually have zero interactivity. Playing through them is an entirely separated addition, like a novel with an exploration and stat micromanagement meta-game. And then you compare them to HL2, which is similarly linear but less abstract and with a few more freedoms (seamless transition, no interruptions, no cutscenes, first-person only), and a complex dramatic story becomes completely impossible through conventional exposition. Players gain palpable interactivity, and won't be held down before walls of exposition - they jump around the room and click on stuff while NPCs chat in the background and give the bare-minimum of story, most of which ends up being told through optional interactions with the environment.

Shooters will always have these problems when trying to force the player to care for their story, whether it's a typical juvenile power-fantasy or a masterpiece of literature. Traditional storytelling largely doesn't work, cannot support the drama, and isn't at the centre of attention. Games have other ways of shining.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Why do you guys put the same video twice in your reviews? Im always like....oooh yay 2 video review EPIC...and then it turns out its the same o_O

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Serving UpSmiles said:
Seriously why can't people just focus on the good aspects of the game instead of the negative ones, like the great graphics, weapons and interface and all.... :/
Well one of the weak point is the graphics... So yeah....

Note this is comparison to Crysis 1

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
D_987 said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.
Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...
This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.
because getting a C is better then getting an F?

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
ninjajoeman said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
D_987 said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Crysis 2 is very mediocre, 5/10 at most. The thing that bugs me most is that the FOV is like 45 or something, it's like the nanosuit blocks out 80% of your vision.

Sadly, game reviews can never be taken seriously because 8/10 is a "decent" score for AAA games.
Or people just don't have the same opinion as you regarding the game...
This is true, but I'm referring to the industry as a whole. When a movie or book is average it gets a 5/10. When a game is average it gets a 7/10 or a 8/10.
because getting a C is better then getting an F?
The reviews are less detailed and less thoughtful.

Hey the game was great! I personally enjoyed it, but some [del]haters[/del] people didnt like it so imma gonna gief it 9/10!!! Thats gotta place it right next to ... you get the idea.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
hmm i think i will get this when the price drops, maybe by a third at least

Irridium said:
Like a race mode, players race through a City, Mirror's Edge style, and have to use all of the suits powers to navigate it.

Or a predator-type game, where one player has all the suits powers activated(cloak, strength), and "hunts" the other players.

Or Time Attack challenges, to see how fast you can clear an area. Would require expert use of the suit.
goddamit man why arent u designing games urself!!! those ideas sound awesome.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
Baneat said:
Anyway:
Here are the settings I had placed into my launch options for crysis 2 demo
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Demo\bin32\Crysis2Demo.exe" +cl_fov=90 +r_DrawNearFoV = 90 +pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90 +g_skipIntro=1

Skip intro and constant FoV of 90, I think all the console commands are still functional, there just isn't an easy, in-game way to do the more basic things (bloom/HDR, AA etc.), because I've heard of people altering the bloom and stuff in Crysis 2.
One can create an autoexec.cfg file to define graphics settings for the game - a chap called Wasdie [http://www.wasdie.blogspot.com/] has created a little app to do just that ...
[http://www.gamespot.com/users/Wasdie/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25916748]

The image links to further info if anyone's interested.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
s_h_a_d_o said:
Baneat said:
Anyway:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Demo\bin32\Crysis2Demo.exe" +cl_fov=90 +r_DrawNearFoV = 90 +pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov = 90 +g_skipIntro=1

Skip intro and constant FoV of 90, I think all the console commands are still functional, there just isn't an easy, in-game way to do the more basic things (bloom/HDR, AA etc.), because I've heard of people altering the bloom and stuff in Crysis 2.
One can create an autoexec.cfg file to define graphics settings for the game - a chap called Wasdie [http://www.wasdie.blogspot.com/] has created a little app to do just that ...
[http://www.gamespot.com/users/Wasdie/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25916748]

I use this now :) but at the time of writing he hadn't made this great tool, supposedly an offocial crytek implementation of this will arrive soon.

1.6 for that tool's out now, it adds "Extreme" settings to each of those variables.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
Unfortunately it sounds like Crytek has moved in the exact opposite direction from what made the first Crysis such a great game for me. Shortened singleplayer with much more linear gameplay, more "console-friendly" controls and modes of operation for the nanosuit, low rez graphics and lower graphic requirements overall. A big focus on multiplayer, which I could care less about.

I liked Crysis better than Warhead because of the open-world sandbox play, the ability to tackle a scenario using a variety of tactics, angle of approach, and weapons. There were objectives to meet, sure, but I could perform them on my timetable and have fun without cutscenes interupting my play every fifteen minutes. It sounds like Crysis2 has gone even further in the wrong direction.

*sigh*. Well, it sounds to me like another great PC franchise afflicted by multiplatform design and constraints. Like DA2, it's going on the "wait until it's on the bargain rack and heavily discounted before buying" shelf.

Apr 28, 2008
Tin Man said:
Irridium said:
I don't know, I fail to see how New York is a fresh environment. Been there in plenty of games.

Haven't played the single-player fully yet, since I just played at a friend's place. But the story was rather fun. Multiplayer was just boring. I'll get it when the price drops.
Nuff said.

New York has been used a little, films are far more guilty of this. What games are you referring to exactly?
Here's the games I've played that were set in New York:
The Warriors
World in Conflict
Prototype
Spider Man(pretty much all the games, but the ones I've played are the PS1 game, the PS2 games, and Web of Shadows)
Freedom Fighters
Max Paine 1+2
The Darkness
Deus Ex
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
Max Paine 1+2
True Crime: New York City
The Godfather 1+2

And now for games based in cities that are closely based on New York.
GTA 3
GTA IV
Mafia 2
Infamous

Games I haven't played that I know are set in New York:
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Syphon Filter 1+2
Legendary
Alone in the Dark

So yeah, while quite a few of those games are great, I'm sick and damn tired of New York.

Apr 28, 2008
s_h_a_d_o said:
Baneat said:
Anyway:

One has to wonder why the hell that wasn't in the final game in the first place.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.
2 things, there are loads of people that still play FPS games for the single player (I play for both, depends on the game but for the most part I am more interested in the SP)

Crysis 1 was PC exclusive, running on future computers with dedicated servers, with maps 3-4 times the size of the ones in crysis 2.

Crysis 2 is on the consoles, no dedicated servers(as far as i know) which makes it a lot harder to fit 32 players into a single map, not that you would want to when the maps are that small. Again the map size has to do with the constraints of the consoles.

If your problems are with the games multiplayer be pointing the finger at the consoles.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
TheComedown said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Crysis 1 could support 32 players in its MP instead of this measly 16, and the maps were way larger as well. Considering people buy FPS titles these days mostly for the MP, this is downgraded.
2 things, there are loads of people that still play FPS games for the single player (I play for both, depends on the game but for the most part I am more interested in the SP)

Crysis 1 was PC exclusive, running on future computers with dedicated servers, with maps 3-4 times the size of the ones in crysis 2.

Crysis 2 is on the consoles, no dedicated servers(as far as i know) which makes it a lot harder to fit 32 players into a single map, not that you would want to when the maps are that small. Again the map size has to do with the constraints of the consoles.

If your problems are with the games multiplayer be pointing the finger at the consoles.
There are dedicated servers on pc.