Crysis 2 Will Have the "Best Graphics Ever"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crysis 2 Will Have the "Best Graphics Ever"

Crytek Executive Producer Nathan Camarillo has thrown down the gauntlet, saying that the upcoming Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA1MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278700057&sr=1-1] will have the best graphics anyone has ever seen.

It's a bold statement, claiming that your new videogame will have the best graphics in the history of forever, but coming from challenges [http://www.crytek.com/] of getting the game to run on consoles, Crysis 2 is going to set a new benchmark in 2010.

"The most important thing that Crysis taught us as a developer is that, while cinematic graphics and convincing gameplay will get you a lot of press and build strong interest before release - you shouldn't count on that exclusively," Camarillo told PlayStation 3 Magazine.

"We're aiming to set the graphical benchmark," he continued. "Why would anyone not want to play a game with the best graphics they have ever seen, great gameplay, some engaging fiction, challenging AI, killer weaponry and a complete gaming experience like no other?"

Why indeed? I can't say that I entirely agree with Camarillo's apparent assertion that "convincing gameplay" isn't enough to make a game a success, but on the other hand it's hard to argue against the combination of convincing gameplay and sexy graphics, so here's to lots of that when Crytek makes the move from the great outdoors to the urban jungle of New York City. Crysis 2 is slated for release in fall 2010 on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241253?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Well, based on the prerelease images I've seen, they're well on their way towards that.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Let's see some HD gameplay footage and see if their claims will hold up. Until then, it's a bunch of hot air.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
It's time for a new Crysis because the hardware to run Crysis 1 on Very High @ 1920x1200 is now finally out. I'll buy a new PC in 2012, should run Crysis 2 nicely :)

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Also, it will make any Earthly computer run at 2fps :U
crysis developers should ensure that the bloody thing runs at normal speed before boasting :/

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
"Crysis 2 will have the best graphics possible."

I think that is a lot more accurate. When will developers learn the majority of "true" gamers don't care about "best graphics" if it hinders the product, which in this case, is impossible seeing as:

1) It is an FPS, and the majority of them don't have involving stories, though there are some exceptions...

2) Based on Crysis, the second game will almost certainly not have an involving or somewhat intelligent story.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
It's funny they should mention convincing gameplay, since that's what I felt Crysis lacked.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Proteus214 said:
Let's see some HD gameplay footage and see if their claims will hold up. Until then, it's a bunch of hot air.
Okay look at Crysis one, because that game still looks incredible.

OT: I'd like to see non-prerendered shots at some point. Gears of War 2 did the same thing, release screenshots with 16x AA and said :U THIS IZ ARR GAEM. When no console has that good AA besides God of War 3 and Saboteur because they use awesome fake AA that works really well.

digitaLbraVo

Jan 7, 2010
And Camarillo says that in spite of the challenges of getting the game to run on consoles, Crysis 2 is going to set a new benchmark in 2010.
Hahahah! Best graphics, running on a console? Don't worry guys. Any PC made from 2007 and later will have no problem with the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can believe that too as the first one was epic in its scope of graphics. So, I dont see this like a PM kind of statement at all

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Honestly? I couldn't care less. What's the deal with graphics? Most games that really impressed me had absolutly shitty graphics, like Morrowind or Starcraft.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Um who fucking cares about graphics? Really?

Sure its a good bonus when a game has great graphics, but if the game itself sucks, the graphics don't mean shit.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I'm not really sure if that's the most important part of gameplay. Why not make the best story ever? But I guess once in a while good graphics can be good.