Crysis 2 Writer Calls Modern Warfare 2 a Disappointment

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
MW2s individual levels were fun, but the narative was almost nonexistant or made no sense but it was a hell of a game to play

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
I still have no idea why Price launched a nuclear missile at Washington DC, or what Shepard was trying to achieve by murdering me, or why I had to storm that gulag. I just know that I threw a knife in a man's eye in slow motion during a sandstorm, and it was Good.

If a game features the American military and doesn't make me want to kick Tom Clancy in the balls, I look on that as a success.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
mechanixis said:
I still have no idea why Price launched a nuclear missile at Washington DC, or what Shepard was trying to achieve by murdering me, or why I had to storm that gulag. I just know that I threw a knife in a man's eye in slow motion during a sandstorm, and it was Good.
Here's what I managed to gather
1. he launched the missile to knock out all electronics, giving the US a huge advantage
2. He wanted to be a war hero and you were in is way somehow
3. for fun

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hubilub said:
Tom Goldman said:
The world doesn't seem to have the same opinion as Morgan
Someone hasn't been exploring the forums enough.

This opinion seems to be like most others: The story sucked. Nothing really surprising.
Yeah, I really thought it could have been done better. From what I saw it was jsut Psudo-Cold War nonsense, which, really didnt make any sense, and, really didnt shine a candle on anything.

And the ending sucked, so bad

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
ColdStorage said:
When it comes to CoD MW2's campaign, well my 13 year old cousin and all his friends were blown away by it, all of my friends over the age of 18 (like in real life) were not impressed.
I'm 20 and I had a blast with it. Sometimes I just want something entertaining where a bunch of stuff goes boom, and MW2 certainly delivered that.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Jaredin said:
Hubilub said:
Tom Goldman said:
The world doesn't seem to have the same opinion as Morgan
Someone hasn't been exploring the forums enough.

This opinion seems to be like most others: The story sucked. Nothing really surprising.
Yeah, I really thought it could have been done better. From what I saw it was jsut Psudo-Cold War nonsense, which, really didnt make any sense, and, really didnt shine a candle on anything.

And the ending sucked, so bad
Bet you anything Shepard comes back, albiat missing an eye

Brockyman

Aug 30, 2008
If you played COD4, don't skip the cut scenes and aren't think, the story makes complete sense. It doesn't need to win an Academy Award for storytelling or anything, but you have to be pretty dense to not get the gist of it.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I agree entirely about MW2's story.

However I don't recall Crysis having much resolution or making a great deal of sense.

In the end we should all know by now that while a good story makes a game better, a bad story doesn't really make a game any worse.

batuea

Jun 30, 2009
MW 2 story was Horrible, basically here is IW's game formula from now on

Amazing story + amazing MP = to much time and money *and money is time...sorry had to*

Amazing multiplayer + craptastic story - additional coding for PC dedicated server support + "over hyping" their own product through "guerrilla" marketing = Minimal effort and money needed.

and IW is now basically scrooge MC duck sitting at his gold desk in his gold walled mansion room stock to the ceiling with gold coins, jewels, and artifacts, wringing his greedy duck hands at the idea of the next money making scam. also for the writer of this article... FANBOY MUCH?!?! come on saying that people playing 200,000 years worth on XBOX live reflects the Good quality of the SP story is like trying to say that a piece of dog crap with peanuts in it is just as good as a Baby Ruth candy bar... it just doesn't work that way, sorry.

PS. to all the people here that are going to say "OHHH BUT HE DIDNTZ SAY THATZ MEANZ THE STORYZ WAZ GOODZ NOOB LOLZ" it is called context, learn about it.

PSS. to all those who are going to post the dictionary meaning of context and then are going to try and look witty saying that I am out of context... grow up.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
scnj said:
ColdStorage said:
When it comes to CoD MW2's campaign, well my 13 year old cousin and all his friends were blown away by it, all of my friends over the age of 18 (like in real life) were not impressed.
I'm 20 and I had a blast with it. Sometimes I just want something entertaining where a bunch of stuff goes boom, and MW2 certainly delivered that.
I'm certainly not going to take that away from you, to me its just insipid and I love shallow crap, just look at my ex girlfriends if you don't believe me.

I'll give MW2 this, from what I saw the set pieces (taken as they are) were fucking epic, but the actual overarching story, it can go die somewhere far away from me.

I do like shallow crap though, MW2 is like the action movie in cinema's, lots of bangs, nothing else.

I like lots of bangs.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
batuea said:
Amazing story + amazing MP = to much time and money *and money is time...sorry had to*
Clever formula you did there, but want about the variable that is "getting fired".

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
D_987 said:
Tom Goldman said:
The world doesn't seem to have the same opinion as Morgan, or care as much, considering how people have already played Modern Warfare 2 for 200,000 years [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99811-Modern-Warfare-2-Players-Log-200-000-Gameplay-Years] on Xbox Live
I don't quite see how you came to this conclusion?
Oh, you know, sometimes you just have to play devil's advocate :)

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
It was a pretty terrible story, but i liked the WOW moments.

Maybe crysis can impress me.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
The Single player was okay, i enjoyed it, and actually cared when they killed off Ghost, it was quite thrilling if you block out the plot holes.

The multiplayer was a dissapointment to me, but i've played all the COD games and their respective multiplayers, i think i've just outgrown it, i seem to prefer the Old COD games like Call Of Duty.

What sold me on this game was Spec-Ops, Damn enjoyable.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
MW2's story is the Bloody Mess perk from Fallout 3: It stops being cool when it happens every five seconds.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
It did disappointing in the SP side, but as a PC gamer also in the multiplayer side. It's just not as good as CoD4.
But also I didn't found CoD4 as such an excellent game as many think though. Yeah it was fun, but I don't think it deserved so much praise as other games that were released in the same year, like Crysis for example.