Crysis 2 Writer: Halo is "Full of Bullsh*t"

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Wait.....Halo had a story? I thought they where just excuses for levels. well I never.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Irridium said:
Crysis 2's story better be fucking fantastic.

Otherwise he will be the biggest laughing stock in gaming. Next to Ubisoft.
I call a troll of the industry. He's seriously going to look like an idiot if he doesn't provide something good.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
Fast Forward to Friday: Crysis 2 Writer says Final Fantasy 6 was making cracks about your mother.

Seriously, talking this much smack Crysis 2 better descend from the freakin' heavens and redefine game storytelling. I agree with him, but he's writing checks his skills are going to need to cash.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I, on the other hand, am having a terrible time forcing myself through Bioshock 2 because the story so grossly warps, ignores and bends over the original. It's killing the game for me.
I did the "Aliens->Aliens3" suspension to get past that feeling. Once you just take it in as a standalone and stop trying to completely shoehorn it up against the first (yes, despite the fact that there are devices designed to NOT allow you to do that), I found it a very rewarding story. I was reduced to tears, and more of them, by the ending just like I was in the first, and this time I had an actual person, not just a collective group, thanking me for the rescue. There was a huge amount of difference in impact there for me.

I guess the best version of BioShock for me exists in a mash-up of the two. Having the real sympathetic character NOT betray and also survive really choked me up in the way that the lack of a singular survivor and the depth-less betrayal in the first left me sort of flat. For me, the final emotional response was a bigger payoff in the second than the first, noted jangles against the first notwithstanding.

And this Crysis2 guy really knows how to put it in a nutshell, don't he?

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
JEBWrench said:
ddq5 said:
Tomorrow: "Crysis 2 Writer says Gears of War is 'majorly fucking retarded.' "

He does seem to enjoy dissing mainstream games, especially their stories. I supposes Crysis 2 will have to prove that he isn't just talking out of his ass.
Vigilantis said:
I agree with him on his bashing I know of so far (Modern Warfare 2 and now Halo) however, though I do agree, I see this as being a little bit too cocky for his new product. Hopefully Crysis 2 lives up to all this talk.

Tommorow..."Crysis 2 Writer: Starcraft isn't story driven enough and Gears of War is just a bloody eyesore"
I feel a meme coming on.
"Bioshock is just an interactive political science class and Dead Space was all about dissecting tumors.""

I agree with him, but this would carry more weight coming from that guy who writes Half-Life, Mark Laidlaw I think.

QuickDEMOL1SHER

Oct 14, 2009
I see another Peter Molyneux in the making.
I predict Crysis 2 having stunning graphics, average gameplay, boring characters and confusing story.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
now I think everyone is agreeing that crysis 2 better be game of the year material if he's going off on criticizing other fps's

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
Notice that he keeps calling out games that everyone knows have crappy stories. If he wants to catch my attention, he'd better call out Half-Life 2 or Portal.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Personally I think most of the people here are acting like greater asses then this guy.

Where the hell does it say a guy (who actually WORKS in the videogame industry) is not allowed to blatantly say "Halo mechanics good, story and character dev. = bad"?

In a truly rational world people SHOULD turn around and say every standard of service, product, or political policy is 'shit' and can be done better. In fact, that's primarily one of the ways Humanity continues to develop both technologically and socially. By critically analysing the shortfalls of a mainstream product or service, so that one can attempt to create something BETTER.

Hats off to him. He's gunning to create a better experience than Halo provided ... (Which imho isn't that hard) ...

Every other naysayer is either a fanboy, or somebody who doesn't understand the fundamentals of critical analysis.

S. Y on 'Experienced Points' wrote a good article about this sort of displayed behaviour last week. Suggest you pick it up.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Crysis 2 writer: "Mass Effect had too much story, keeping it simple is key!"

I felt like I should contribute to making this a meme.