Crysis: Remastered

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This might just be a case of giving people the chance to play it who didn't get to play it last time.

The game released on PC only at first and it required a fucking monster computer to actually play. Which meant that a lot of people didn't get to play it. It came out on 360 and ps3 4 years later but it kind of flew under a lot of radars.

So maybe they just want to give it a rerelease and see if people still give a shit about the series. perhaps it's an industry test to see if there is market for another game.
This. I know a lot of people had problems with Crysis 3. Gameplay length, and ending on wet fart for certain fans. I know I enojyed what little I was able to play of the original Crysis is the title reminding me a lot of Far Cry Instincts (XBOX/360). A spinoff/retelling of the original pc game made exclusively for both xbox consoles. I know Crysis was meant as a spiritual successor to the original Far Cry (PC), yet it seems to make inspirations from Instincts. Your character is superpowered in some way. The nanosuit for Nomad, and Jack Carver's animal powers (which you do not get until the 5th chapter). Both have recharable health and stanima, but the only difference being Jack can still use medkits and adrenaline respectively, and that Nomad can upgrade his powers. Jack can't, but he gets new abilities further in the campaign. Both also get superspeed and chuck (claws for Jack) enemies in to the air. They fight superpowered versions of themselves late in their respective campagins (for Jack, it's more like 2/3 in to the story). Another difference, Jack is fighting mercernaries, products of gentetic enginerring, and the head mad scientists (Krieger) personal army on an island. And all are in a meele e trois late in the game. I look forward to actually completing the game in the summer.

Also, the game takes place in 2020. Relevant!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
This might just be a case of giving people the chance to play it who didn't get to play it last time.

The game released on PC only at first and it required a fucking monster computer to actually play. Which meant that a lot of people didn't get to play it. It came out on 360 and ps3 4 years later but it kind of flew under a lot of radars.

So maybe they just want to give it a rerelease and see if people still give a shit about the series. perhaps it's an industry test to see if there is market for another game.
I first played it with a Core 2 Duo 6400 and GeForce 8600GT, which was pretty middle of the road hardware when the game released. It ran about twice as good on medium settings than the console ports years later, and it still blew everything else away by a large margin for that whole generation. The inability to run it (at all) is highly exaggerated, kinda like the difficulty of Souls games. It’s more that the “max everything out or fuck it” mentality was and is self defeating and an unfortunate perception and side effect of PC gaming culture.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I might give this a try as I almost tried it on PS3 but heard the port wasn't that good.
This was a running problem with the PS3. The 360 had bad ports too, but PS3 tended to get the worst of it. Especially if it was an older game ported to the system. This even applied to games that were multiplatform or released on the same days as PC or 360. Uusually, though not all the time, the loading times would be longer on a PS3 than the 360. PS3 was tough and unnecessarily difficult to develop for.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Crytek bet on the wrong horse when they believed that CPU's would continue advancing along single core architecture, just with ridiculous clock speeds, like 9Ghz and such. Instead things went down the multi-cored and multi-threaded path. And that's why Crysis can still fail to reliably get 4K-60fps or whatever, even on high end current PC hardware. Cuz of single-threaded performance bottlenecking the whole thing.

Video shows they got Crysis 2 or 3 running on an Nvidia Shield, albeit scaled back, but in their defense, it was a quick and dirty demo meant as proof of concept. A Shield is powerwise roughly in the same ballpark as the Switch. Ports like The Witcher 3, Doom and Wolfenstein New Colossus have shown you can get impressive visuals for its specs. Will Switch Crysis be the most graphically intense version? Of course not. But it's feasible and portable Crysis has an appeal all of its own.
Yeah. I hope they dig as deep as possible with this, short of being a full-on remake.

The subtitle of this article is kinda funny and oddly prescient.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Yeah. I hope they dig as deep as possible with this, short of being a full-on remake.

The subtitle of this article is kinda funny and oddly prescient.
Well, devs don't do the whole "make a game that'll only max out on future hardware" thing anymore, probably because limiting your audience that way is not viable anymore. Except maybe Star Citizen if that ever stops being in eternal early access. Anyway, the times when pc power would double every 8 months or so is over, and unless some sudden breakthrough is made, pc hardware's path seems set and predictable, so I doubt whoever is taking on the Crysis remake will fall down the same pit again. Hopefully, this industry can be really dumb sometimes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Except maybe Star Citizen if that ever stops being in eternal early access.
Star Citizen will never leave Early Access, because then it's funding source of "Sell Virtual ships you never actually have to create/code/balance and plots of land on moons that don't exist yet AKA the ultimate macro-transaction based economy" will dry up. and they'll have to rely on subs and/or people actually buying the game who aren't cult-like obsessed with it. Not to mention, to quote a famous meme "You can't have a bad release if you never release".

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Really Looking forward to playing it. Hopefully it will use nanosuit 1 instead of C2 where you can press Q and E

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Star Citizen will never leave Early Access, because then it's funding source of "Sell Virtual ships you never actually have to create/code/balance and plots of land on moons that don't exist yet AKA the ultimate macro-transaction based economy" will dry up. and they'll have to rely on subs and/or people actually buying the game who aren't cult-like obsessed with it. Not to mention, to quote a famous meme "You can't have a bad release if you never release".
One of my friends used to date a guy who raved about Star Citizen and talked about how he and a few of his friends all split the cost on a ship. I asked him to elaborate on that since at first I thought he was talking about using in-game currency. When he told me that it was actual real world money they used and the ship was about the same price of a car I kind of recoiled in shock.

That was my first and only exposure to Star Citizen.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
One of my friends used to date a guy who raved about Star Citizen and talked about how he and a few of his friends all split the cost on a ship. I asked him to elaborate on that since at first I thought he was talking about using in-game currency. When he told me that it was actual real world money they used and the ship was about the same price of a car I kind of recoiled in shock.

That was my first and only exposure to Star Citizen.

Yeah, I can only imagine what's going to happen IF the game eventually releases, the potential of "This is going to be AMAZING!" will wear off and what actually is in the game is what they have and fruits of the whale-based macro-transaction economy are finally ripe.

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to feel "disappointed"(though some people who dumped a ton of money into this will feel they have to justify their investment) in what they get and most other people aren't really gonna care that much until the game ends up being AMAZING!

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
As much as I like Crysis. I always believe that despite being PC exclusive. Crysis had more common with console FPS rather than PC FPS due to having regen health and also on rail segments.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Yeah, I can only imagine what's going to happen IF the game eventually releases, the potential of "This is going to be AMAZING!" will wear off and what actually is in the game is what they have and fruits of the whale-based macro-transaction economy are finally ripe.
The alternate scenario is that they just run out of money at some point, without a "1.0" release at all.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The alternate scenario is that they just run out of money at some point, without a "1.0" release at all.
I mean there's that too, which seems entirely dependent on their fanbase either running out of money or just deciding they've had enough.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
If Star Citizen ever releases as intended, it will be the greatest game ever made.

If Star Citizen ever releases as in a scope that is realistic, it will never actually release because it would destroy its revenue model of selling promises, and will remain in perpetual beta as certain features are intentionally buried to give the excuse of never pinging v1.0.

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
Really Looking forward to playing it. Hopefully it will use nanosuit 1 instead of C2 where you can press Q and E
You're not the only one I've seen say they prefer how it was in 1, and I just don't understand it.

I love Crysis 1, but the Nano Suit wheel thing was cumbersome to use.

Crysis 2's streamlined approach to the nano suit is infinitely better than how it was in Crysis 1. Why would arbitrarily making something like switching from Armor mode to Speed mode take longer be a better method to you?

DeliveryGodNoah

Legacy
Apr 26, 2020
Country
United States
I just really hope they spruce up those interiors areas in Crysis 1. The Cryengine back then was REALLY good at doing outdoor, forested lighting, but even in later games, some of that interior lighting left much to be desired. Great interior lighting can be done with the engine, it's been shown before, but I can't say they really knew what they were doing with that when Crysis 1 came out.

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
You're not the only one I've seen say they prefer how it was in 1, and I just don't understand it.

Crysis 2's streamlined approach to the nano suit is infinitely better than how it was in Crysis 1. Why would arbitrarily making something like switching from Armor mode to Speed mode take longer be a better method to you?
Crysis 2 dumbed it down due to console limitation and controller that time. holding middle mouse button to use nanosuit is much better as Crysis 1 had 4 suit powers. Crysis 2 has only 2 power armor and clock and thats it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
As much as I like Crysis. I always believe that despite being PC exclusive. Crysis had more common with console FPS rather than PC FPS due to having regen health and also on rail segments.
Mods can fix the first issue, but nothing can save the second one. That's all on Crytek and their weird penchant for shoehorning awkward alien stuff in an otherwise stellar game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Crysis 2 dumbed it down due to console limitation and controller that time. holding middle mouse button to use nanosuit is much better as Crysis 1 had 4 suit powers. Crysis 2 has only 2 power armor and clock and thats it.
The biggest problem with it was it removed the lean function which came in very handy in the original. Being a tactical shooter, leaning is a pretty suitable thing to have (no pun).

Still, no idea why they couldn't keep all powers and just put them into a weapon wheel or shortcut via holding or double tapping certain buttons like the original had.