Crytek: No Other Engine Could Handle Crysis 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Crytek: No Other Engine Could Handle Crysis 2

Crytek's technology could make any other shooter in the market, says Crytek's CEO.

Crytek CEO Cervat Yerli thinks that the engine that he and his company have built for Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1295897238&sr=1-1] is pretty special. It's so special, in fact, that Yerli doesn't think that any of his competitors' products is capable of doing everything that it does.

He didn't want to categorically state that the CryEngine 3 was the best engine around, saying that the final word on that score would come from the people who used it. Yerli said that there was room for multiple engines in the market, and he thought that having variety encouraged innovation. He did say, however, that none of the other engines on the market could accommodate Crysis 2, whereas its engine could comfortably handle any of its competitors' games.

He said that Crytek designed engines with efficiency in mind, which was the reason it had been able to do Far Cry and Crysis so quickly with a relatively inexperienced team. He added that the CryEngine 3 in particular was designed to make everyone, from designers to artists to coders, as productive as possible.

Yerli certainly talks big, but as none of his competitors are likely to put his claims about CryEngine 3 to the test, it's almost impossible to definitively say whether he's wrong or right. He's certainly correct on one point, however, which is that it's what other people think about the engine - rather than the people who made it - that really matters.

Crysis 2 comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on March 22nd.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/285069/news/unreal-engine-couldnt-handle-crysis-2-crytek/?attr=CVG-News-RSS]

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I'd believe it.

Screens of Crysis 2 come dangerously close to being indistinguishable from box art, promotional posters, etc. - where even with Crysis 1 you could see aliasing and various other "gamey"/rough visual elements.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
Speaking about game engines, it's a shame how most of them only see one game running it before they scrap it and start on the next one. I'm looking at you Red Faction: Guerilla.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ha, yeah, such a powerful engine! So powerful it can run seemlessly on consoles!...... wait, what?

Crysis doesn't run seemlessly on PC's now. I don't see how this is better if it can run on the the underpowered consoles.

Meh, regardless, I look forward to the game, and the continuation of a "cool", if not "good", story.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Yes, it is the best engine so far.
No other engine could handle such extensive graphics without being very slow - though people think that Crysis had very high performance requirements, the lower levels of graphics weren't like that - it runs on medium on years old (back when Crysis came out) middle-segment graphics card.
Other engines, like Source Engine (used in Half Life and Portal) just wouldn't be able to generate views from Crysis - at least without extensive modifications. And doing so with good performance is just out of their reach.

Apr 28, 2008
Well I'd love to have a demo so I could see how it would run on my PC. You know, to see if it is more efficient then the one Crysis used.

Pricks.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
You know, I'd love to test their ego here.

However, the game would probably eat my PC for breakfast, despite my PC being specifically built to be a gaming rig.

You suck, Crytek!

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
And I'm sure no other network could handle a demo. Don't get me wrong, it looks very pretty, but I've seen nothing of the gameplay to make me feel I need to play it. Without trying it first, I'm not buying it.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
In other news, this game broke the new Chinese supercomputer.
OT:I believe it though, Crysis was pretty intense on my computer and it's dated now. I think it'd be nice but I'm afraid to see the computer requirements.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Baresark said:
Crysis doesn't run seemlessly on PC's now.
Protip: you don't have to try playing on max with a shit tier PC.

I absolutely believe them. Cryengine 3 looks fucking gorgeous, I just hope they're pushing the limits of PC graphics once again with Crysis 2.
protip - it runs crappy on good PC's, it's not very well optimized, that is my point.

Also, I never said I wasn't looking forward to checking out this game. I just can't stand companies that hype the shit outta their products then we are greeted with a product that cannot live up to those standards.

And, I have to agree, the game looks amazing, but until I play it on a PC or console right in front of me, I am gonna reserve judgement on the game itself. I do look forward to that draw distance on a city scape though.

Aug 1, 2010
Alright Crytek. I get it. You are very proud of your new dress and makeup. Now would you please show me something that suggests the actual [i/]game[/i] will be good?

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I wish Crytek would just actually shut the fuck up about Crysis 2, at least until it's out. All through it's development there's been news posts here about how Crytek is bragging about how their game is going to do this and that, it's better than this game etc etc. First they were bashing Halo and describing Crysis 2 as a "Halo killer" as if that's the FPS to beat these days. Then they were bashing something else (Can't quite recall what that was) Now they are going on about good their engine is and that no other engine could handle Crysis 2.

I know it won't be but i seriously want this game to be a complete flop. Maybe that will make them shut the fuck up and deflate their ego a bit.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Baresark said:
ciortas1 said:
Baresark said:

I absolutely believe them. Cryengine 3 looks fucking gorgeous, I just hope they're pushing the limits of PC graphics once again with Crysis 2.
protip - it runs crappy on good PC's, it's not very well optimized, that is my point.

Also, I never said I wasn't looking forward to checking out this game. I just can't stand companies that hype the shit outta their products then we are greeted with a product that cannot live up to those standards.

And, I have to agree, the game looks amazing, but until I play it on a PC or console right in front of me, I am gonna reserve judgement on the game itself. I do look forward to that draw distance on a city scape though.
Stereotype. It was running fluently on my 7600GS card. Now i have GTX260 (quite cheap card right now), it runs on max settings on 1680x1050 (except AA).

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Baresark said:
ciortas1 said:
Baresark said:

But Crysis isn't running on the CryEngine 3.
It's running on CryEngine 2.

And from everything I've seen on Cry3, it's leaps and bounds more improved then Cry2.
Especially the multi-platform support. Which is just epic.

OT: I hope the game turns out sweet looking and running as the promo material when I try out the MP demo tomorrow.
Maybe we can get more people using it, then.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Thrust said:
Crytek's Graphics are a piece of art. :D
And their games are a piece of shit D:

Seriously though, the only thing I enjoyed about their games is how beautiful they are and how hot my pc was getting to deliver those.

The gameplay was quite good and still holds up pretty well today, except for the shitty AI... Also, I hated the final of the first Crysis with a passion, it was a slap to my face with both hands and now they're making the sequel 3 fucking years AFTER the first one?.

I just hope they deliver a demo to test it out. Until then, I'm not slightly interested on playing the thing.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
theriddlen said:
Baresark said:
ciortas1 said:
Baresark said:

Stereotype. It was running fluently on my 7600GS card. Now i have GTX260 (quite cheap card right now), it runs on max settings on 1680x1050 (except AA).
Everything without the AA. That's the key.

Warhead played a lot smoother by a long shot, so when they throw the words "optimized" around they aren't just throwing stones. I had a 7600GT that wasn't fond of C1 at medium settings, I said screw it and wait for an upgrade. I use a 5850 @ 1920x1200, max all (DX9 of course, DX10 just was NOT a good idea for that engine at the time), and regularly at 2xAA, because my 4gb of system memory dries up when I run it at 4xAA for a prolonged period, heh...

DogofRaw

Apr 24, 2009
There seems to be a lot of hate going on about Crytek and their egos, I would theorize its from people who have never played any of their games, as if they had they would understand that their attitude is backed up by their track record. Just look at Far Cry and Crysis, they both were well ahead of the competition when released. Crysis is, after 3 years, the best looking game around. Its just a matter of having the hardware to appreciate it (not that I do, I'm working of a 2 GHz laptop). I'm in no way saying that their games are the best (That would be Half life and its kin), but when your studio consistently puts out the best looking games around, you cannot be expected to be humble about it. Who knows, I might be proven wrong, but I seriously doubt it.