Crytek Working on Fixing Crysis 2 Demo

NeuroShock

Jul 14, 2009
The two things that really need fixing are the fact that it takes forever to connect to a game, and the fact that Falcon Punch is mapped to right stick. I swear, that melee is so broken. I could be spraying a full clip at someone and have them run up and punch me in the face.

Oh, and if you guys thought it was hard to connect by yourself, try connecting to a game when you have a squad. Impossible.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
'A few user'? Yeah right.

Me and almost everyone I know has had it freeze the XBOX every time they try to join a game.
I never had it freeze outright, though I did get dropped just after connecting a few times.

Over-all, though, there are a few glitches with the game. The melee attack being a big one.
Beyond that, though, the game is actually a blast to play. I had a great time. Aside from the afore-mentioned melee attack, I rarely had any COD-style BS kills. Every time I died it was legit. And every kill I got was legit. No 'Whoa, how did I pull that off?' kills.

I like it. The powers are fun, the guns are good, the levels are gorgeous, and the running, jumping, and climbing make for a way more interesting way of maneuvering around the map. I hope the fix the problems and extend the demo. I'd like to get some more time in with it!

IronMuck

Mar 14, 2008
Judging from the current replies I appear to be in the minority but...

I've enjoyed the game despite its similarities to the Modern Warfare series.

I have experienced only a handful of minor issues over a fairly large number of games, all of them animation issues (dying but my body still being stuck in a "living" pose which caused me to have a longer wait to respawn is an example).

However, regardless of my own experience clearly these problems do exist and are crippling for some players. This is the demo not the beta and combined with the short run time of the demo it is probably going to leave a bad taste for many players.
The only silver lining is that hopefully they'll have most of this fixed in time for launch... Going to wait to see the reviews before I consider purchasing though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wait weren't they just boasting how easy it is to make games with their engine a couple of days back...
Could it be they were just a little too full of themselves :D

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
To be blunt, if the demo (works properly for me) is representative of the final game then Crytek have lost a sale.

I was hoping for more Crysis, what they seem to have made is the bad bits of Crysis with features from Halo Reach and Call of Duty all mangled up in it.

I wanted huge expansive maps, I wanted my tanks and choppers and alien mistifying doodads, I wanted a degree of freedom and I wanted lots of players to join in. What I didn't want was another 16 player death match on a tiny roof top map with all the stuff I did want happening in the Skybox. That genre is already well covered.

I also wanted better sound, FarCry had wonderful chunk sounding guns, Crysis had distinct weapons sounds, customisation and great enviromentals. This was running around with an angry stapler, another thing well covered.

I'll rent Crysis 2 to give Crytek benefit of the doubt, but the demo gives the impression they've dropped into the same check list deevelopment that everyone else already does. On the 360 the graphics don't particularly hold up and it all feels a bit of wasted opportunity.

But we'll see in due time.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Numachuka said:
ActionDan said:
I ain't buying SHIT from Crytek without a PC demo.
I guess your not going to be buying it then.
There's two months until it comes out, I'm hoping they'll have the common sense to release one before then.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
To be blunt, if the demo (works properly for me) is representative of the final game then Crytek have lost a sale.

I was hoping for more Crysis, what they seem to have made is the bad bits of Crysis with features from Halo Reach and Call of Duty all mangled up in it.

I wanted huge expansive maps, I wanted my tanks and choppers and alien mistifying doodads, I wanted a degree of freedom and I wanted lots of players to join in. What I didn't want was another 16 player death match on a tiny roof top map with all the stuff I did want happening in the Skybox. That genre is already well covered.

I also wanted better sound, FarCry had wonderful chunk sounding guns, Crysis had distinct weapons sounds, customisation and great enviromentals. This was running around with an angry stapler, another thing well covered.

I'll rent Crysis 2 to give Crytek benefit of the doubt, but the demo gives the impression they've dropped into the same check list deevelopment that everyone else already does. On the 360 the graphics don't particularly hold up and it all feels a bit of wasted opportunity.

You covered my thoughts exactly.

The original Crysis is still one of my favorite games and I have no qualms about saying that it's possibly the finest shooter since Half-Life 2 or Battlefield 2. The freedom was unparalleled, the graphics were stunning, and the gameplay was deceptively intelligent. From everything I'm hearing, your post included, all of that has been tossed aside.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Well, for what it's worth, I thought the demo was pretty good. I mean, it has a couple of issues with hit detection and connection to the game, but it's a demo. Bad Company 2's demo had the same problems.

What I am worried about, however, is the fact that they released a multiplayer demo and not a single player. The last thing I want is for Crysis to turn into some multiplayer-focused, 5-hour-long-linear-campaign monstrosity.

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Only problem i've had is connecting to a game with my friends.

Fun as hell demo though, and i'm considering picking up the full game.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
fix-the-spade said:

I know it's a bit harsh to judge it on a one-level multiplayer demo, but on reading that description, my first thought was "dumbed down for consoles".[footnote]Before any console gamers whinge at me, I'm referring more to the fact that consoles have pathetic amounts of RAM, even compared to the PCs of 2007, when Crysis 1 was launched. Instead of thinking of technical solutions to this problem (see: Just Cause 2), they just dumbed the design down so consoles can run it. Hence my post.[/footnote]

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
From what I played of it, it was pretty damn fun. The powers were awesome (but seriously, the fuck is with that melee). Yea, my first thoughts were CoD ripoff, but other than the melee, it really just plays like a CoD without all the horrible balance issues, AND with superpowers to boot.

Plus, the game is just fucking gorgeous

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
They have some serious fixing to do, my bullets seemed to always miss people I was tapping bullets at. You can't even feel the melee attacks, it's just a quick twitch and the guy crumples and you don't even get the feed back to know your first insta kill killed him. I've noticed a lot of lag issues in the controls, like Ill have to hit a button 2 or 3 times to get it to work which is just unacceptable.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Delusibeta said:
[footnote]Before any console gamers whinge at me, I'm referring more to the fact that consoles have pathetic amounts of RAM, even compared to the PCs of 2007, when Crysis 1 was launched. Instead of thinking of technical solutions to this problem (see: Just Cause 2), they just dumbed the design down so consoles can run it. Hence my post.[/footnote]
That's probably the cause, dumbed down isn't an unfair comment. I only playedit for an hour or so last night, maybe it'll be better today...

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
really? demo worked great for me. only played it a little bit but the few games I had were fun... once you get used to that climbing animation, the MP is pretty sweet. stealth kill this, max armor that is all sorts of fun. there's some gold in there if they can get it together.