Cyber P.I. Tracks Down Pirates Selling Modern Warfare 2

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
i couldnt really care if it got sold illegally or not, since IW has cockslapped 1 of the best shooters ever into what sounds like a little wimp.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Enzeru92 said:
Yay a win for the good guys
MaxTheReaper said:
Well, a win for the companies, anyway.

You see, there really is no such thing as...[long, long, long post that nobody will ever read, ever.]
Yay, a win for Activison....no, wait...

Anywho, good news I suppose - not that pirates == lost customers, but its a long argument I won't get into. Also... [long post about how Activison have screwed the honest PC customer over, that no-one will take notice of - grumble-grumble]

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
ShadowKirby said:
Asehujiko said:
People stealing boxes of consoles from stores =/= pirates. Besides that, i fully support whatever action is done to take down those assholes at infinityward.
Yeah, stealing boxes = theft and it's pretty worse.
And yeah sure, let's take down those assholes programmers and artists working 60 hours/week. They don't deserve to get paid....... :\
Games are made by people with faces, don't forget that.
Still, people with faces i would like to kick the teeth in after all their insults.

MrDarkling

Crumpled Ball of Paper
Oct 11, 2009
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Internet vigilantes, cool. Even though I don't like CoD it's good to see pirates get screwed over.
Yeh I always thought there was not much vigilance but this proves me wrong.
Glad to see there is some kind of enforcement on those damn pirates.

(Ninjas > Pirates) :p

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Furburt said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
"I r post game illegally on MOTHER FUCKING CRAIGSLIST WHICH EVERYONE CAN SEE AND CAN TRACK YOU"
Yes, if you're going to pirate, thepiratebay would be an anonymous alternative. Piracy isn't as bad if the people aren't making any money off it, but when you try to make money off it it just goes beyond the legal gray area and into actual stealing.
There is no legal gray area here, I have no idea where you got that from but its bullshit. Regardless of whether or not you're pirating software, etc. for financial gain, if you didn't pay for it its theft, period. End of discussion. The fact that someone isn't making money off of piracy doesn't make it "not as bad". I'm still trying to comprehend why you would even say such a thing...

If you want to argue with me, look at my last post and what I used to do for a living.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Bretty said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well since you moved this into a debate about PC decline in the gaming market (Ok well I did it, lol)

I think there is a level of inteligence that goes along with a PC user about understanding technology. I think that a Console user has no idea how his/her console works or what to do to fix it. This is my opinion why PCs will never die and why companies like Valve and CA will focus on. You will always be able to do more on a PC, like write articles for a Emag, so everyone has one in the house. The same is definetly not true for Consoles.

To say that piracy doesnt exist on consoles is obviously wrong, and I know Funk did not say this, but to point the blame directly at the pirate for which ever platform they use is just naive at best.

I would like to see the sales numbers on DA:O for the PC and compare it to the number of copies pirated. I bet the number is far less than for a game like MW2 (which to put bluntly slapped PC gamers in the face). I may be right or wrong, and happy to admit it if the latter is correct but I stand by my theory.

A well produced game that is geared to the community that supports it will never have to worry about pirates, console or PC.

Pirates who make money from Pirating are bad. People downloading a game instead of paing for it because they dont like the way a company is heading is just poor decision making at worst.
Agreed. If consoles do become the more relevant gaming platform, then pirates are only going to shift their strategy to pirating console games, and hackers will be coming up with new ways to mod the systems. Pointing out that PC is becoming more irrelevant (it isn't) doesn't make the pirates all the more likely to just fade away. If the Mac actually started reigning over the PC (it won't) then you can bet your bippy that viruses and malware coded for Macs will become all the more numerous. Pirates and hackers target what is the more popular, because that will be what is easiest to get to.
WlknCntrdiction said:
Haha, that guy is quite dim to do something like that.
Though really Activision/IW lost me as a loyal paying customer as soon as they announced the removal of dedicated servers *wink wink* lol.
So you are going to pirate a game that is crippled regardless of how you get it? Gonna make your own dedicated servers for it and share them? Good luck with that.
In the end though, this article pretty much pointed out where these crooks went wrong, and you can expect that they aren't looking at long jail sentences unless the kid snagging the games gets charged with theft. That's the only legit charge to be seen here. The hacker can get sued by Microsoft and Activision, but anything the courts can throw at him will hardly be a nickle. Most of what was done by these two was civil crimes, and most likely any lawsuit wont stand a chance of bringing in a smidgeon of what Activision will claim to have lost.(Which will be overinflated).

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Malicious said:
Unfortunately pirates are impossible to stop since there's thousands all around the world. I'm sure it ain't hard for people to acquire illegal goods if they look in the right place. The only way to stop this is if the developers themselves use some cash to actually protect their product, as we all know they got the cash to, so im not really sympathetic towards Activision.
That's just it, they are protecting their product, that's why we have things like SecuROM. Problem is, it's like bacteria that adapts to antibiotic; pirates will do whatever they can to bypass the security measures placed before them (SecuROM, in fact, was developed because previous means to prevent piracy were already being easily bypassed).

Developers have cash, hackers have time, and both are skilled enough to make the most of each.

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Furburt said:
Undercover said:
Furburt said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
"I r post game illegally on MOTHER FUCKING CRAIGSLIST WHICH EVERYONE CAN SEE AND CAN TRACK YOU"
Yes, if you're going to pirate, thepiratebay would be an anonymous alternative. Piracy isn't as bad if the people aren't making any money off it, but when you try to make money off it it just goes beyond the legal gray area and into actual stealing.
There is no legal gray area here, I have no idea where you got that from but its bullshit. Regardless of whether or not you're pirating software, etc. for financial gain, if you didn't pay for it its theft, period. End of discussion. The fact that someone isn't making money off of piracy doesn't make it "not as bad". I'm still trying to comprehend why you would even say such a thing...

If you want to argue with me, look at my last post and what I used to do for a living.

I should have said, in Ireland it's a legal gray area. Over in where you live I'm sure it's more defined.
Aha! I stand corrected.

My apologies for jumping down your throat like that, I keep forgetting how international The Escapist is, and laws & interpretations vary all over the place.

In North America it doesn't matter if you're receiving any financial gain from pirating something, its still illegal. But has that done anything to stem the flow of piracy? Yeah, we all know the answer to that.

As far as not making any money off piracy being "not as bad" my response was kind of knee-jerk (no, really?) because I was looking at it from a strictly legal point of view.

Looking at the bigger picture though, if you think about it most people who download software never would have paid for it in the first place even if a pirated copy wasn't available, so are the developers really losing money? No, they're losing potential money, and apparently here in North America that's just as bad. I don't know why it is, but it is.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Furburt said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
The only real "grey areas" in piracy are when the pirated items are "out of print" or "not available (at this time/in this country) for various reasons, typically relative obscurity".

Modern Warfare 2 is neither obscure nor out of print.

Even if you live in a country (like, say, Australia) where your heads of state for various reasons (ignorant or otherwise) prohibit the legal sale of a game, there are other options besides piracy, such as importing (which, in a way, is no different than buying a used game). The same goes for when a game is not 'banned' but simply not available because the publisher doesn't see enough market potential in your little corner of the world.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
*Shrugs* Big Brother is watching U. At least big brother is private industry as opposed to the goverment, though that can be just as bad.

While I suppose it's irrelevent I half expect to be hearing about how "This is the most money makingest game evah!" and then still hear them crying about piracy afterwards.

Still, if the guy was robbing consoles from the warehouse he deserves to have the book thrown at him. I would however also look into organized crime here since piracy can be pretty big and if these consoles "fell off the truck" unnoticed I doubt it was JUST company shrink.

Though admittedly I'd be expecting the consoles to have shown up for half price at say the flea market outside Giant's Stadium rather than be being sold via Craigslist if this was the case.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I see this as a win for The average person, Pirates get busted, Activision lose out.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
That's taking piracy a bit seriously....keep it up!

I wish they'd do this for other games though as so far MW2 is the only one and I don't care about it.

Jsnoopy

Nov 20, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Bretty said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Well since you moved this into a debate about PC decline in the gaming market (Ok well I did it, lol)

GIANT SNIP!!!
Agreed. If consoles do become the more relevant gaming platform, then pirates are only going to shift their strategy to pirating console games, and hackers will be coming up with new ways to mod the systems. Pointing out that PC is becoming more irrelevant (it isn't) doesn't make the pirates all the more likely to just fade away. If the Mac actually started reigning over the PC (it won't) then you can bet your bippy that viruses and malware coded for Macs will become all the more numerous. Pirates and hackers target what is the more popular, because that will be what is easiest to get to.

WlknCntrdiction said:
Haha, sneaky snip.
Going by that logic, sir, please explain to me why the wii isn't a fucking digital Somalia of pirates?

OT: I've seen some retards doing the same thing here in Denver... I wonder if there is a way to report them?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jsnoopy said:
Pirates and hackers target what is the more popular, because that will be what is easiest to get to.

WlknCntrdiction said:
Haha, sneaky snip.
Going by that logic, sir, please explain to me why the wii isn't a fucking digital Somalia of pirates?

OT: I've seen some retards doing the same thing here in Denver... I wonder if there is a way to report them?
Who would want to pirate or hack the Wii or any of its titles? Richard Simmons? I guess there isn't a pure direction of logic that hackers and pirates follow, but the idea, especially for pirates, is to get stuff people would be willing to pay for.
Good odds Denver Metro Police have a website, check it out and see if they have anything for e-crime. Otherwise FBI would have places.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Well considering IW has gone to the dark side with the pricing and screwing pc gamers and stuff, I'm ashamed to admit I would rather laugh in Activison's ceo's face rather than hang a pirate....

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Avast, mateys, lower the sails, they're coming to take all our rum! YARRRR!

No, but in all seriousness, this seems like a step in the right direction.

Also, Greg Tito, how could you have joined The Escapist 1969? Ze imposible!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jsnoopy said:
samsonguy920 said:
Bretty said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

GIANT SNIP!!!

WlknCntrdiction said:
Haha, sneaky snip.

The console itself is a HUGE target of counterfeiters of the hardware/design, a bit of a google search will reveal there is a massive market of knock off wiis. But not the software.

I know you may say "But Wii titles are ALWAYS on the top of the charts, surely the software would be desired and pirated"

Well presence on the charts is artificial as for every single console and peripheral a game is bundled with it as a pack-in yet even if they just wanted the console or that peripheral, they are forced to get that game whether they want it or not, they somehow that unwilling/bundled purchase counts towards the charts.

In fact you can match the monthly sales of Wii Sports almost exactly to the number of Wii consoles sold that month (minus the region which doesn't do the bundle = Japan).

Really, people who want the Wii want it just for the dumb novelty of it all and don't give a crap about the games, they just want something which is "kinda like" "Actually" playing tennis... even though the idea of playing tennis in real life sounds sucky as hell they love the novelty.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Hilarious stuff guys. Don't know if you caught Supernatural this week but there is a scene where the main characters both play Horatio and I was pretty much doubled over laughing. They must have taken off and put on their sunglasses at least 10 times in a minute!