Cyberpunk 2077 is delayed till November

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I disagree with the "it'll always be there," because it's like a movie. Yeah, you can watch it again, but you never get a first boot up sequence ever again, the feeling of stepping into a world for the first time and trying to understand how it works. The big reveal of the twist and that first walkthrough where you're more interested in getting there than the desired destination. The first time I booted up Skyrim I didn't know what the fuck I was doing and just wandered until I ran into something to kill or, in most cases, something killed me. In Fallout 4, my first character was the mother just trying to find her kid and following every path that pointed in that direction (and eventually joining the Institute after finding out your son had grown into the leader of the Institute). You don't get that first time ever again.
How is your first time spoiled by waiting until your next day off work? The game will be there and you can have you first time for all those things whenever you get to it.

I don't see how your story has anything to do with having to absolutely experience it ASAP. People don't see movies on opening day, often waiting for the weekend (when they're off work) to see it and their experiences are just as good as the people who stood in line at midnight release to watch it. Arguable their experience is better because they wont be trying to play/watch it tired.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
How is your first time spoiled by waiting until your next day off work? The game will be there and you can have you first time for all those things whenever you get to it.

I don't see how your story has anything to do with having to absolutely experience it ASAP. People don't see movies on opening day, often waiting for the weekend (when they're off work) to see it and their experiences are just as good as the people who stood in line at midnight release to watch it. Arguable their experience is better because they wont be trying to play/watch it tired.
I expect the internet to be flooded with various types of spoilers on day one. I like to go in fresh when it comes to videogames, I enjoy the stumbling around and figuring out the system on my own, I like discovering things by myself. Unless you quarantine yourself from a fair deal of the internet you likely wont get to have that if you don't play the game on release.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I expect the internet to be flooded with various types of spoilers on day one. I like to go in fresh when it comes to videogames, I enjoy the stumbling around and figuring out the system on my own, I like discovering things by myself. Unless you quarantine yourself from a fair deal of the internet you likely wont get to have that if you don't play the game on release.
You surf the internet when you should be working!? How dare you!

Seriously though, if you couldn't get the day off, how hard can it be to not read cyberpunk news or spoilers while on the job. Surely your co-workers can't spoiler it for you, because they are also at work.

I don't think this is valid reasoning. Sorry.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I don't think this is valid reasoning. Sorry.
It isn't as if there's an ultimate objective answer. This is a matter of preferences so from my point of view it is valid reasoning. I hate being spoiled when it comes to games, even the smallest bit will annoy me. So I make a choice that allows me to deal with my dislike for spoilers. And besides, I'd count it as a mental health day, which pretty much any workplace should be okay with, sometimes people just need a day off to do whatever they want.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It isn't as if there's an ultimate objective answer. This is a matter of preferences so from my point of view it is valid reasoning. I hate being spoiled when it comes to games, even the smallest bit will annoy me. So I make a choice that allows me to deal with my dislike for spoilers. And besides, I'd count it as a mental health day, which pretty much any workplace should be okay with, sometimes people just need a day off to do whatever they want.
I understand where you're coming from. My advice: avoid YouTube, FB, and Twitter. Log out of YT and don't look at it for the amount of time you need. That is what I did for God of War 4 and DMC5. It won't help with everything, but it helps a lot.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It's a story heavy game. It can be spoiled by literal spoilers from people playing it before you get a chance.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's a story heavy game. It can be spoiled by literal spoilers from people playing it before you get a chance.
Right but if you are working on launch, and everyone around you is working, then who is there to spoil the game for you? I mean it isnt that hard to avoid spoilers for a few hours on launch day.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Right but if you are working on launch, and everyone around you is working, then who is there to spoil the game for you? I mean it isnt that hard to avoid spoilers for a few hours on launch day.
Idk about other people, but after a full day of work I don't tend to then immediately come home and play video games for 8 hours to catch up.

Once you're behind you're behind. Unless you expect who wants to avoid spoilers to completely avoid social media until they've finished the game.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Now its delayed till December.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
V I knew it was going to be a bit of a mess, but I felt there was nothing left to tell at that point. Yes, I already know about the twist. Ut was telegraph pretty easily and made to justify a retcon in the very first metal gear game on MSX.
I'd argue it was to feed Kojimas ego but fair enough.

I swear the guy operates off "LOOK HOW CLEVER AND DEEP I AM!" in so many of his games despite his occasional insightful moments.

I was recently watching a youtube video series going on about how MGSV is deeper than it looks because the confusing and opaque nature of the plot is supposed to be because of the shadow wars the patriots use to control the world and the fact Venom has brain damage so not everything he sees can be trusted.

Which is cool and all and the guy makes some good points, but it doesn't change the fact the plot is incomplete, sometimes needlessly complex and often feels like Kojima indulging his characteristic bullshit weirdness(Magic Parasites, a Stripper with a sniper rifle) because there's no one standing there with rolled up newspaper to tell him no.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I understand where you're coming from. My advice: avoid YouTube, FB, and Twitter. Log out of YT and don't look at it for the amount of time you need. That is what I did for God of War 4 and DMC5. It won't help with everything, but it helps a lot.
Where I live employers aren't that strict about days off or vacation time, so I can typically get a day or two if I make the request early enough.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I'd argue it was to feed Kojimas ego but fair enough.

I swear the guy operates off "LOOK HOW CLEVER AND DEEP I AM!" in so many of his games despite his occasional insightful moments.

I was recently watching a youtube video series going on about how MGSV is deeper than it looks because the confusing and opaque nature of the plot is supposed to be because of the shadow wars the patriots use to control the world and the fact Venom has brain damage so not everything he sees can be trusted.

Which is cool and all and the guy makes some good points, but it doesn't change the fact the plot is incomplete, sometimes needlessly complex and often feels like Kojima indulging his characteristic bullshit weirdness(Magic Parasites, a Stripper with a sniper rifle) because there's no one standing there with rolled up newspaper to tell him no.
The problem with MGS and likely by extension Kojima’s games in general, is that he’s wrapping serious themes in a bunch of wackiness. Whether for entertainment value or he really thinks the juxtaposition works, its lack of commitment to one or the other ends up being a disservice to both.

I also think the “message” is just being lost in cultural translation, especially with how much pop culture Kojima consumes and repackages back into his games. This is kind of an interesting read -

That’s way back when the series was fairly grounded and normal.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The problem with MGS and likely by extension Kojima’s games in general, is that he’s wrapping serious themes in a bunch of wackiness. Whether for entertainment value or he really thinks the juxtaposition works, its lack of commitment to one or the other ends up being a disservice to both.

I also think the “message” is just being lost in cultural translation, especially with how much pop culture Kojima consumes and repackages back into his games. This is kind of an interesting read -

That’s way back when the series was fairly grounded and normal.
Yeah, when people start going on about how deep MGS is, I pull out the following example of how Kojima works.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Arguably a brilliant deconstruction of sequels and meta-narrative with some very pointed thoughts on how information shapes culture. Also has Raiden shimming through a stream of piss, running around naked with his hands over his junk and one of the bosses is a fat man on roller skates.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
At this point it's pretty clear the people in charge of Cyberpunk are incompetent managers. This entire dev cycle has been a shitshow
Hummm I dunno. CDproject are ultimately a small company that suddenly see themselves with an opportunity to play in the same ring as Bethesda. I think what happened is that the hype they got for witcher 3 was far above what they expected so they're pushing for a more ambitious game that they original were expecting. If things go well, people will quickly forget the delay/crunch and it'll cement CDproject as a major gaming company which they can use to grow substantially. The future will say if it was worth it, but I wouldn't just assume they're screwing up. And I'm saying that as someone who doesn't really care for cynberpunk and though TW3 was average.