Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Umm....things aren't looking good actually. That's crazy unexpected from CDPR.
I expected it! I saw it coming! Mwahaha!

With the amount of extreme hype Cyberpunk got the game could only disappoint when it finally arrived. No game in the world could possibly live up to all that hype. Its simply not healthy for a fanbase to get so extremely hyped about a game. You're setting yourself up for disappointment regardless of how good the game will be.

Its also worth noting that CD Project Red is not quite prolific enough to deliver something of the scope that this game promised. The Witcher Wild hunt was amazing but their output has mostly been the Witcher games of which only one was a universally acclaimed smash hit. With Wild Hunt being made by CD Project Red people were right to get their hopes up but not to this absolutely ridiculous extend.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
The thing is, even indie games benefit from the preorder fever. Look at how many indie games are backed in kickstarter, that is arguably a worse means of preordering a game since you are putting money down on an idea that could go well or really badly and it can be really tough to get your money back from a failed kick starter. At least with pre orders you haven't really paid money yet and you will get a game.
Indie games certainly can benefit from pre-ordering or Kickstarters, but when you look at the history of games that have been made through Kickstarter funding alone, it isn't a great track record.
Yooka-Laylee was widely regarded as being pretty meh for how much money it received. Same thing with Mighty Numer 9. Iron Harvest received mixed review on Steam after it's release due to being very buggy.
The issue with Kickstarters is the stretch goals, and how a successful game on Kickstarter promises all this extra shit that bogs down the game. I'd rather games go into open beta, or are developed as passion projects first, rather than get crowdfunded or funded through pre-order.
I'm aware some games have done well for themselves through Kickstarter and the likes. A hat in time, and Shovel knight, coming to mind. But I think it's more often than not a detriment than a benefit, for both the consumer and the developers.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, I wasn't gonna get until I got a PS5, now it looks like I won't be getting it possibly at all. My excitement for this game already fell a good 70% once it was revealed it was going to be full first-person, with your character not being visible in the gameworld at all. And in a character creator RPG this is a major no-no for me.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
I think the fans wouldn't let them get away with that anymore.
What're they gonna do, post another thread on reddit about how "My friend died waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to come out! Rest in piece buddy, I'll be playing this for you!"

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
What're they gonna do, post another thread on reddit about how "My friend died waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to come out! Rest in piece buddy, I'll be playing this for you!"
Yeah the fans gave up any and all actual power they had when the pre-ordered it by the hundreds of thousands. And as much as gamers bark and yowl over shit, they have no bite whatsoever. They'd never cancel a pre-order or not buy the newest game launch week

Reactions: DJShaddycat

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Or send another email to a dev with ''I know where you live and I'm going to slit your throat''

Which probably won't happen but its still horrible for the employee unlucky enough to get it since he can't afford to take it lightly and assume it won't.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Indie games certainly can benefit from pre-ordering or Kickstarters, but when you look at the history of games that have been made through Kickstarter funding alone, it isn't a great track record.
Yooka-Laylee was widely regarded as being pretty meh for how much money it received. Same thing with Mighty Numer 9. Iron Harvest received mixed review on Steam after it's release due to being very buggy.
The issue with Kickstarters is the stretch goals, and how a successful game on Kickstarter promises all this extra shit that bogs down the game. I'd rather games go into open beta, or are developed as passion projects first, rather than get crowdfunded or funded through pre-order.
I'm aware some games have done well for themselves through Kickstarter and the likes. A hat in time, and Shovel knight, coming to mind. But I think it's more often than not a detriment than a benefit, for both the consumer and the developers.
Actually that isn't true, the failures of kickstarter tend to get more press but we have gotten some amazing games from it outside of Hat in Time and Shovel Knight, we also got Undertale, Hollowknight, Celeste, Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. Those are just the ones that come to mind, a lot more indie games are funded that way.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Or send another email to a dev with ''I know where you live and I'm going to slit your throat''

Which probably won't happen but its still horrible for the employee unlucky enough to get it since he can't afford to take it lightly and assume it won't.
Slightly off topic but in that situation does payment for a back ground check, security and stuff come from the employee, or would CDPR pay for it since the threat is because of their actions?
I've never had a death threat that I know of, so I don't know the what's for and why is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  1. I got other games I might have picking up myself or getting as a Christmas gift that I want to play.
  2. If I need a game in the cyberpunk setting this badly I got other alternative options old or new. One of them being Katana Zero. While I make no promises, I might pick up Ghostrunner, preferably at a sale, later down the line.
  3. Most importantly I do not like how CD projekt red has been destroying their employees mental and physical health with all the unnecessary crunch. All that crap and they still need patches to fix bugs and issues. Which goes to shows how unnecessary crunch actually is and it's not vital to making a great game. I have my own set of standards. I've made this clear back on the V1 thread, When I said I was not getting Cyberpunk 2077. I have no problem making sure to make good on it.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
  1. I got other games I might have picking up myself or getting as a Christmas gift that I want to play.
  2. If I need a game in the cyberpunk setting this badly I got other alternative options old or new. One of them being Katana Zero. While I make no promises, I might pick up Ghostrunner, preferably at a sale, later down the line.
  3. Most importantly I do not like how CD projekt red has been destroying their employees mental and physical health with all the unnecessary crunch. All that crap and they still need patches to fix bugs and issues. Which goes to shows how unnecessary crunch actually is and it's not vital to making a great game. I have my own set of standards. I've made this clear back on the V1 thread, When I said I was not getting Cyberpunk 2077. I have no problem making sure to make good on it.
If you like cyberpunk, look at Ruiner. Assuming you don't mind top down shooters. Ruiner has a great aesthetic.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I make it a point to avoid reviews until after I play the game so I'm not reading any of that stuff but yeah, super excited for this, it's kinda hilarious to realize it's almost out, it's been, what, 7 years?

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
This was always going to be a wait and see for me.

Fallout 3/NV always felt like the perfect base for a Cyberpunk2020 game, they had a lot of similarities with the way the PnP was laid out stat and skill wise, even with the way weapons, damage, armour penetration worked, it wouldn't have taken much to tweak it. Of course the FO engine would have exploded if you tried to do something like this with it.

Maybe once it's pateched and modded I'll give it a go.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I personally havent' been terribly impressed with CDPR's work. Played like 1 hour of Witcher 1, got insanely bored, quit. Never played W2, and beat W3, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. It felt like a whole lot of just filler side quests that didn't really mean shit.

I want to play CP2077 because....well it's Cyberpunk, and I've always loved that genre, but yeah, their business practices have much to be desired. Plus, if people say "It's as good as Witcher 3!" I'll be like 'Yeah but...I didn't really like W3, so that's not selling me on getting it." xD

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Yeah I personally havent' been terribly impressed with CDPR's work. Played like 1 hour of Witcher 1, got insanely bored, quit. Never played W2, and beat W3, but I really didn't enjoy the experience. It felt like a whole lot of just filler side quests that didn't really mean shit.

I want to play CP2077 because....well it's Cyberpunk, and I've always loved that genre, but yeah, their business practices have much to be desired. Plus, if people say "It's as good as Witcher 3!" I'll be like 'Yeah but...I didn't really like W3, so that's not selling me on getting it." xD
I don't even think CP2077 looks that Cyberpunk. It almost looks too light to be cyberpunk. Not enough grit or grime.