Cyberpunk 2077 Review thread - Umm....

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
Wanna know my secret?

I dunno wtf cyberpunk is. :)
It's pretty subjective. I'm sure some people think CP2077 is really cyberpunk, but to me, cyberpunk is more punk and less cyber, if that makes sense. It's supposed to be darker than real life. But for some, that isn't so much the case.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It's pretty subjective. I'm sure some people think CP2077 is really cyberpunk, but to me, cyberpunk is more punk and less cyber, if that makes sense. It's supposed to be darker than real life. But for some, that isn't so much the case.
i just wanna run around a world with robotic people like Alita Battle Angel.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't even think CP2077 looks that Cyberpunk. It almost looks too light to be cyberpunk. Not enough grit or grime.
Eh, I'm honestly ok with more color and brightness. Honestly that might just be the corporate sectors look, and the slums would look more gritty and slimy. I've seen some screenshots and vid clips that seem to be very much the stereotypical "grungy underbelly" look that is synonymous with Cyberpunk. I think what they are selling in the advertisements is the...well the overbelly I guess. The glittery, high money side, that has frankly always been part of the setting, but wasn't ever the focus in the game setting. It makes for more compelling marketing I think, instead of just "yeah it all looks like shit, go play in it!"

And frankly I've had my fill of grey/brown/dark game settings, so if they (and remember the creator of Cyberpunk has been working with them, and thinks it fits his creation just fine) want to spice it up a bit in places with color? Good.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Well, CP2020 did have Ido's rocket powered sledgehammer. A decent amount of the art, cyber etc was certainly inspired by late 80s/early 90's cyberpunk anime/manga. As you might expect. Not sure if that makes it into the computer game.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Wanna know my secret?

I dunno wtf cyberpunk is. :)
Well in the context of this game, it's specifically a roleplaying game setting based in the "near future" where all the stereotypical tropes of modern pop culture were first really fleshed out, and given a lot of their more widely adopted concepts. The digital hacker that plugs their actual brain into a virtual realty internet to steal data, insane levels of body augmentations.

In a nutshell, it's a game about you playing, basically a criminal, that works for the dark underbelly of the near future world. You and a group of like minded people, with varying talents, take on jobs from contacts, usually in the form of corporate espionage, to steal data from rival companies, and they pay you for it. How you do it varies based on the parties talents. It's more in depth than that of course, but that's the basic concept of the actual, trademarked roleplaying game Cyberpunk.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Well in the context of this game, it's specifically a roleplaying game setting based in the "near future" where all the stereotypical tropes of modern pop culture were first really fleshed out, and given a lot of their more widely adopted concepts. The digital hacker that plugs their actual brain into a virtual realty internet to steal data, insane levels of body augmentations.

In a nutshell, it's a game about you playing, basically a criminal, that works for the dark underbelly of the near future world. You and a group of like minded people, with varying talents, take on jobs from contacts, usually in the form of corporate espionage, to steal data from rival companies, and they pay you for it. How you do it varies based on the parties talents. It's more in depth than that of course, but that's the basic concept of the actual, trademarked roleplaying game Cyberpunk.
Sounds fun to me :D

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Sounds fun to me :D
Did you ever see the Keanu Reeves film Johnny Mnemonic? If so, you've pretty much seen a quintessential example of the genre. Cyberpunk was first popularized by the novels of William Gibson (I think Neuromancer was the first title, but he wrote several of them, including the novella Johnny Mnemonic was based on). It's pretty much exactly what you might expect in a gaming session. You've got the high glitz, high society "corporate" side of things, as they've become the defacto governments of the world at that point. As in literally many countries were bought out due to massive debt, and basically just became mega-corporations. Then you've also got the other side of things. The Newark, slums, street doctors, dingy clubs where you talk with contacts about illegal jobs, etc. I'm sure there are some other examples out there that might be more recent, or popular, but that is literally straight from the vein of the original material.

Bladerunner, but there isn't really an element of the "being the criminal" side of things. If Blade Runner was a Cyberpunk game session, you'd more likely play as the group of replicants trying to uncover details about your past, and fight your way inside the corporation to literally meet your maker....shit that actually sounds like a fun campaign now.

Ghost in the Shell is another really good adaptation of the source material. I mainly mean the original anime film, but the tv series as well.

Robocop also fits well.

I mean there are a ton of scifi films, but those are, in my opinion the ones with the closest to source themes in them. This is after doing a cursory google search for "cyberpunk films" and just scanning the top results. those stood out most as being closest to source.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Did you ever see the Keanu Reeves film Johnny Mnemonic? If so, you've pretty much seen a quintessential example of the genre. Cyberpunk was first popularized by the novels of William Gibson (I think Neuromancer was the first title, but he wrote several of them, including the novella Johnny Mnemonic was based on). It's pretty much exactly what you might expect in a gaming session. You've got the high glitz, high society "corporate" side of things, as they've become the defacto governments of the world at that point. As in literally many countries were bought out due to massive debt, and basically just became mega-corporations. Then you've also got the other side of things. The Newark, slums, street doctors, dingy clubs where you talk with contacts about illegal jobs, etc. I'm sure there are some other examples out there that might be more recent, or popular, but that is literally straight from the vein of the original material.

Bladerunner, but there isn't really an element of the "being the criminal" side of things. If Blade Runner was a Cyberpunk game session, you'd more likely play as the group of replicants trying to uncover details about your past, and fight your way inside the corporation to literally meet your maker....shit that actually sounds like a fun campaign now.

Ghost in the Shell is another really good adaptation of the source material. I mainly mean the original anime film, but the tv series as well.

Robocop also fits well.

I mean there are a ton of scifi films, but those are, in my opinion the ones with the closest to source themes in them. This is after doing a cursory google search for "cyberpunk films" and just scanning the top results. those stood out most as being closest to source.
Naw I'm not really a fan of sci-fi honestly. I don't like Star Wars, I don't like Star Trek, I didn't like Bladerunner, Total Recall, etc etc.

The only universe that really grabbed me was the Alita Battle Angel manga and film. Something about it really hooked me, and that's why Cyberpunk 2077 is even on my radar. Even if i like a developer, I will not buy a game if I have no interest in the gameplay or setting.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Its funny, I've been reading and watching some reviews 'cause I do find the game perversely fascinating, and its crazy how the same product can invoke completely different reactions.
Some people are saying its a living city, the world feels alive, and the time spent and attention to detail is amazing from NPCs just talking or getting drinks or whatever. But then other people say its completely shallow and feels lifeless, because the NPCs are just standing around talking or getting a drink, and the game feels rushed and bugged and that it needed another 6 months - a year to flesh things out.
Same game, and some people see a blue and gold dress and some people hear Yanny.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Naw I'm not really a fan of sci-fi honestly. I don't like Star Wars, I don't like Star Trek, I didn't like Bladerunner, Total Recall, etc etc.

The only universe that really grabbed me was the Alita Battle Angel manga and film. Something about it really hooked me, and that's why Cyberpunk 2077 is even on my radar. Even if i like a developer, I will not buy a game if I have no interest in the gameplay or setting.
Never read/saw Alita, so can't comment on accuracy, but the bits I've seen, seem to be heavily influenced by the cyberpunk genre, so it's probably a good template for what to expect.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Never read/saw Alita, so can't comment on accuracy, but the bits I've seen, seem to be heavily influenced by the cyberpunk genre, so it's probably a good template for what to expect.
It's so cool. You should check it out, i think you could find the manga online for free.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Star Wars isn't sci-fi, it's fantasy/space opera!!! But it sucks so it don't matter... :sneaky:
Anything that's high tech is sci-fi. Regardless of the inclusion of magic. Star Wars is why the Sci-Fi/Fantasy share the same shelves on bookstores, because it's like a sci-fi story that also has wizards and fantasy magic. Since it blew up, it caused the genre's to overlap.

And it sucks. :)

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I kinda wanna play as Gray Fox from MGS in this, though Alita is cool too.

I love how much emphasis Japantown seems to have, they do this thing in one of their signs where it says hotel in Japanese and English, it writes Hoteru which is the JP way of saying it and the Ho is in english but the teru is in katakana, absolutely love that sorta thing. It makes the world seem very worth exploring.

Basically I have no great expectations based on prior exposure to this particular franchise, but I like what I see in this specific game a ton. The flair of the world and the cultures are all super interesting. I'm not really comparing it with, say, Akira or something, and judging it based on that, I just take it for what it is and it's pretty damn cool haha.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Ghost in the Shell still might tickle your pickle, especially the show Stand Alone Complex, because they frame it more as a police procedural/espionage thriller inside a cyberpunk setting. Yes the place is littered with cyborgs and AI and other stuff but it’s usually the vehicle by which crime and spy stuff happens.

And honestly, if you like Alita there’s a good chance you’ll like Motoko. At least in the anime movies and series.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I kinda wanna play as Gray Fox from MGS in this, though Alita is cool too.
Metal Gear Rising has the Gray Fox costume. So...there you go. It's either that or Ghostunner.

In fact, here are the list of cyberpunk games I own:
  • Metal Gear Rising
  • Astral Chain
  • Gungrave
  • Sonic CD - In the future levels if you're in Stardust Speedway or Metallic Madness.
  • Vanquish

I used to own Binary Domain, but I lost interest. It's as close as you are going to get to a Snatcher remake or sequel.

Cyberpunk was first popularized by the novels of William Gibson (I think Neuromancer was the first title, but he wrote several of them, including the novella Johnny Mnemonic was based on).
I read Neruomancer back in 2014 and I was bored out of my fucking mind! I am sorry to say that. I know the sequels are better and less confusing, but I had my fill after the first book.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I read Neruomancer back in 2014 and I was bored out of my fucking mind! I am sorry to say that. I know the sequels are better and less confusing, but I had my fill after the first book.
Yeah his writing could be pretty dry. I didn't read too many of his books, I think I read like...3 or 4 of them? I don't remember much beyond the character that Jade (From Johnny Mnemonic) was based on. She was more of a recurring character in his novels than anyone else. The cybernetic street samurai.

Reactions: BrawlMan