Dad Beats Son for Having Poor Gaming Skills

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Ok. That man has issues.
And good on the boy's mum, question is, if the guy has a history of violence, why didn't she do it sooner? Or was it just because it was publicised?

Shadowlolz

Mar 25, 2009
Trivun said:
Just wait until Fox/Jack Thompson hears about this...
Jack Thompson has been disbareed.OT: this guy should go away and the game has nothing to do with it this man is just clearly a child abuser.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
I think that this guy is on to something, we can beat the noob out of our kids.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Shadowlolz said:
Trivun said:
Just wait until Fox/Jack Thompson hears about this...
Jack Thompson has been disbareed.OT: this guy should go away and the game has nothing to do with it this man is just clearly a child abuser.
I know he's been disbarred, but it doesn't mean he's going to give up his crusade, is he? As for the opinion on the child abuser dad, I agree, since his hitting the child wasn't any sort of discipline (which I agree with provided it's ONLY used as a disciplinary measure. And only smacking the arm or leg or backside.).

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
If the son got into sports and got stronger, he could beat the father up and take his lunch money run away with his mother.
Naw. Once he got into sports, he'd probably be too busy beating up "fags" patting other guys on the ass beating up "fags."

Can you tell I have a low opinion of most people who play sports?
'Cause I do!
Hey, we share opinions there.
Good to hear it.
I'll put the Gom Jabbar away now, I guess.
Harbinger_ said:
See? We gamers are being discriminated against. If we perform poorly or slightly slower than the others at all we get beaten up.
It sucks, doesn't it?
We should stage a protest.
With fire.
Thanks Max that is actually more accurate than what I initially said and yes fire should be applied to anything.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Harbinger_ said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
If the son got into sports and got stronger, he could beat the father up and take his lunch money run away with his mother.
Naw. Once he got into sports, he'd probably be too busy beating up "fags" patting other guys on the ass beating up "fags."

Can you tell I have a low opinion of most people who play sports?
'Cause I do!
Hey, we share opinions there.
Good to hear it.
I'll put the Gom Jabbar away now, I guess.
Harbinger_ said:
See? We gamers are being discriminated against. If we perform poorly or slightly slower than the others at all we get beaten up.
It sucks, doesn't it?
We should stage a protest.
With fire.
Thanks Max that is actually more accurate than what I initially said and yes fire should be applied to anything.
Fire gooooood... Fire and Vorpal Blade. Those are the answers to, and causes of, all lifes problems (yep, I went there. Sod Duff! Vorpal Blade and Flames are where it's at!).

Shadowlolz

Mar 25, 2009
Trivun said:
I know he's been disbarred, but it doesn't mean he's going to give up his crusade, is he? .
Well now we have better defense from him so he is not much a threat. "listen to what the crazy old man who USED to be crazy old lawyer says."

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
Wait...what?! Whaaat?!?!

No matter how many times I read that, the only reaction I get from my brain is a big error message saying "DOES NOT COMPUTE".

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
Same shit, different day. Bad parents punishing their kids for not doing well in sports or in just about any other form of competition is nothing new.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Rofl.

I beat myself up for having poor gaming skills at times (Xan on Godlike before I became Godlike and could 15-0 him)...

And it's never a good thing. It doesn't help you learn, progress, or anything. It just makes you get stuck in your defeats.

If you're being punished for your failures, it makes incentive to try worse, because no one starts out good at anything. If the father really wanted the kid to be good, he wouldn't have done it. Actually, nevermind. That would require logic. Disregard everything I said.

This man is stupid.

Lusperus

Aug 20, 2008
I've been beat before when I won Marvel vs capcom back in 2000 against my older brother.
Why does this matter?

DigitalJedl

Apr 10, 2009
What?

He simply missed a hadouken, he's trying to train his kid to destroy Daigo.

Anyway, a joke this man is. Much to learn he still has. >.>

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
kawligia said:
Same shit, different day. Bad parents punishing their kids for not doing well in sports or in just about any other form of competition is nothing new.
This is actually kind of weird. When a kid does poorly in sports it's a public thing that reflects poorly on the child and by association on the parent, so the father takes out his embarrassment on the kid. With video games, even more competitively focused ones, there usually isn't any kind of social pressure to perform. So what you've gotta wonder is, why does the dad care enough about this to resort to physical violence. It's unlikely that anyone outside the home was even aware of the failing (ironic since now it's a matter of public record) and it's not like there's much opportunity for awards or a career in gaming like there is in sports.

Basically this has me curious what the rest of the story is. There are big gaps here.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Lusperus said:
I've been beat before when I won Marvel vs capcom back in 2000 against my older brother.
Why does this matter?
Because your brother wasn't supposed to be a mature adult at the time (I'm assuming) and he wasn't responsible for your growth and well-being (again, an assumption). Also, the kid wasn't beaten as retaliation for winning, he was beaten for performing poorly.

You've heard of this before? Parents punishing their kids for failing to excell in a purely leisure activity? One that is usually stigmatized as a waste of time? My parents treated video games as a privilege contingent on good behavior. They didn't care if I was any good at them.

Wait, wait, I just figured it out. This is genius. I'm totally going to use it when I have kids. They can play video games as much as they want. In fact they are required to play at least an hour a day. But there will be punishments if they slack off and don't pwn enough noobs. No physical punishment mind you. I'll just withhold desert, send them to bed early, that sort of thing. The result is that these kids are going to hate and resent video games and will "escape" to reading books, playing the piano, and developing valuable skills to rebel against my cruel parenting. Of course I'll have the tools available for these things but I won't ever force any of it. They'll hate me, but they'll achieve great things. I suppose I need to enact similar policies for drugs and any music I don't like to hear.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
scotth266 said:
Uh.... I am at a distinct lack of words. It's good voyeuristic and obnoxious to supervise your kid's gaming, but why did he beat the kid up for doing poorly? Needs some explanation, methinks. I'm gonna hold my opinion back till more details emerge.
I think I've been misunderstood here: I was saying that it's a good thing for parents to moniter how much their kids game and what they play(as in, time limits and keeping M-rated stuff away from 12-year-olds). I was in no way saying that what this guy did was right. Beating up your kids for doing badly in a game is silly and stupid.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
weirdaljedifan2 said:
Essential things our society is losing:

Patience
Common Sense
Tolerance
Diligence
Persistence
etc.

My point is we're all screwed.
Losing? You mean we had them at some point?