Daily Drop: Ted the Cat

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Don Reba said:
The Lugz said:
i'm going to cite gorillas or chimps, seeing as we have a close genetic bond with them, and just say if we ran around on our knuckles all day we would have the same capacity to jump off things and land on all fours, albeit that i do think apes land on their toes first then their knuckles, but it's the same principle
the highest ive ever jumped off of was a wooden shed roughly 2m tall, that's fairly easy unless you are excessively out of shape, i imagine a 2nd story window would be possible without serious injury, beyond that the cat definitely wins
People definitely don't land on knuckles, but there are safe techiques for landing from second-story window height.
The video illustrates rather nicely how we (and cats) would go about landing: you bend your legs slightly, use them as springs to cushion the impact, and (in our case) if there's too much momentum for just that then you roll to divert the force.

Major difference being that cat legs are muscled in a way we can only dream about ^_-

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
I did say that apes land on their toes, humans also land on their toes, to allow the maximum amount of energy to be dissipated with your muscles to decelerate yourself, as your legs are generally longer and stronger than your arms, there is more time and energy available to counter your fall people can also roll to help dissipate some of the energy

I never said anyone lands on their knuckles, that would probably break your hands!
as I said, apes drop on their toes first as far as i'm aware
just we could land on all fours if we had the muscle memory / strength from using all fours like other animals do, and that would be better because your landing on 4 limbs instead of 2 so there is less pressure per limb and less likelihood of breaking anything

also, nice little video, ive seen that before on topgear, they had a little short on parquir
( it's French, no idea how to spell it. )
versus a city car, the car got annihilated :)

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Ted: I shall jump away from these pesky humans!
Feet: Brace for impact!
Legs: Inertial dampeners are holding!
Mass of Body Fat: INCOMIING!
Legs: Oh dear.
Ted: Boy, I hope no one is filming this with a high-speed camera. Nah, what a silly thought.

But seriously - awesome episode. This is why I love cats :)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
"Get the crowbar! What? What do you mean we can't use the crowbar? What's a 'peeta'?"

crouchingtigress01

Mar 14, 2009
While I really liked this vid, but I think it would have been funny if Kathleen appeared and slapped Gram or Paul for trying to crowbar the kitty and that would be show in slow-mo

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
castlewise said:
I think I have a new favorite. That was great, in many different ways.
Agreed =D although I hope for similar reasons....

I've never watched a cat drop in slow motion and that was rather fascinating to watch. I have 5 cats, but they're quick as lightning to drop down so no chance to study them lol

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Awesome fake-out.

Now for a follow up, make the daily drop be "Cat Treats" and have Ted trying to nom them/catch them in slow motion. Or, even better, two cats one treat.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009

OT: That is one fluffy cat. I really liked the way the fur bends and flops as the kitty hit the ground (safely of course)! I'll admit I was a bit worried when then I saw the "FAILURE" stamp and the ensuing crowbar, but you clever bastards got me good.

A good drop, if I say so myself.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
That was fascinating. But painful. But fascinating. But painful. But fascinating. But....

At least half the bend was just an illusion caused by the fur, though. I hope.

Lesnik

May 7, 2011
As soon as I saw "FAILURE" I was all like, "Oh, shi----"

That was hilarious!

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
Somehow I was imagining "Failure" would come up.
And then it did, and I thought, "further drop, fair enough"
And then the opening bars of Yessssssss.... Absolutely cracked up. Well played, my good sir.
This and TV have been two of the most hilarious DD episodes so far.

v3nge

Mar 15, 2011
Best drop so far. Genuinely amazing to see how the cats legs actually absorb the shock. No wonder they can get around so easily. Also beautiful to watch the movement of the fur.