Damn it, stop making me rich!

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I can't relate. Skyrim gets really hard sometimes and I could always use more money. I would buy extra houses or go to the nice robber known as the skill trainers. I also use equipment that I think looks good not the highest stat values and a bunch of other things that lend itself to role playing and not just beating the game. I mean you can blow the money real quick if you just bought ridiculously over priced things, but I guess you spent most of your time running back to sell them things.

Also, if I wanted to make a no magic character, then I feel like those health potions will get scarce real quick.

Skyrim was made pretty accessible to any level of players. Obviously if you go the maximum efficiency route then you'd conquer the game pretty easily. I try to adventure dungeons, not just clear them out to check it off the list.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
ok ok ok...in skyrim, if you reeeally feel like you're not being challenged enough, just turn up the difficulty. you'll find yourself getting killed now and then by enemies who didn't used to give you such a hard time, you'll be forced to come up with better and quicker thinking ways to defeat them. all those batshit insane god level perks are gonna come in handy as their ability to aid you are truly tested againt a medium sized frostbite spider who just won't die.

and spend all your money on mead and bitches. you'll wake up the next day or two nearly penniless and you'll get to have the fun of starting from scratch all over again!

or just do what i did and make a new character but keep your old save.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I wonder if there's a way to level up prices with you.

A level 50 player has to pay more gold for something than a level 5.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Spend the gold
i have about 40 skooma i wass diappointed when it didnt have adverse effects
i have lydia in daedric armour simply as i prefer light

also

better dragons mod

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
also
the game has to be done so you can finish any quest progression at any time

the devs have no idea what you will be carrying when you meet alduin or kill the emperor or or join the comanion inner circle or what state you will be in with levels or shouts or perks
and there are too many different combinations

they just have to guess and error on the side of too easy rather than you are stuck in a loop

if you think its too easy, get a khajit and go with no destruction magic and fight bare-handed (clawed)

Epitome

Jul 17, 2009
I like when a game can encourage you to use self-imposed restrictions, two good examples come to mind.

My first play-through of DE:HR I played on hard mode and I went for the pacifist achievement (complete the game with no kills beyond the bosses) and the foxiest of the hounds (set off no alarms). I fucking loved that play-through of the game. I did all the sidequests and even though I was rolling in praxis kits I was still heavily limited. I started a fresh play-through recently to get the other achievements I missed first play-through, so boring compared to my first run, now I just whip out a silenced AR and gun down anybody in my way :/

Another good game is called Eschalon 2, old school isometric RPG with turn based gameplay. Real old school and worth a look if you want something in the vain of BG2 but have run out of the usuals like PS:T and NW's. Anyway at the start of the game you can select self imposed rules that determine the difficulty setting. Kind of like NV's HC mode but much harder, they add a score multiplier to the end of the game. There's also a list of achievements in-game that reward a playstyle. So for example playing as a mage there's an achievement for never using a melee or bow attack, there are achievements for pacifism etc all that just multiply your end score. Your free to deviate if you ever want to but you loose the score multiplier.

The problem of fixing the economy is just too tough in games like Skyrim, the infinite supply of enemies and therefore loot will throw any economy out of whack straight away. I think the best solution is just to set up self-imposed voluntary rules.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Kwil said:
Solution: Gold has weight mod. [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=650]
I must disagree, because once you find your first area of safe storage (just look on the wiki, safe storage is Everywhere) you can just pile the gold up there. All this does is add a few commutes between your trips of turning 3 tons of ebony weapons and armour into cash.

And I agree with the OP on this, particularly for Skyrim. My stealth-archer illusion-master can literally duck out of any fight at will (invisibility + stealth perks = god among mortals), walk away, and get his next sneak critical 10 seconds later.

Randomologist

Aug 6, 2008
One thing I'm noticing with Skyrim is that actually I don't need to buy anything. Everything I carry with me was either looted from a chest, given as a reward, or pickpocketed/stolen from someone else. My sneak level is so high, I can crouch directly in front of people and become invisible, while I steal everything that isn't nailed down.

Zhukov said:
The most fun I had with Skyrim was in the first 5 hours or so immediately after the game removed the training wheels and set me loose on the world.
I left the main quests when someone wanted me to crash a Thalmor party in disguise. I left the agent with my best stuff of the time: Fur armour, a steel greatsword and an imperial bow. I revisited the mission at level 35, having completely forgot about my equipment, and it was good fun having to improvise with the basic weapons.

McMouse

May 7, 2009
you know, Ive been playing a lot of Star trek online since it became Free2play, and ive started playing with the economy, more then actually playing the game, i like digging through the exchange for people selling stuff at dirt prices buying then selling higher for profit, or in there Dilithium exchange, just buy low sell high, as it acts like a stock market. i have to much money, and the more i throw away the bigger the pile gets.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
I don't think MMORPG's have this problem because in say WoW, regular health potions become useless pretty fast and the next level of potions cost X much more money, but the game throws that much more money at you, so you'll probably have the same relative amount of money no matter your level

though in say EVE Online the whole economy is player-based so there are no fixed prices, so sure you could sell that basic ship at 10x it's 'regular' cost but no one would buy it because it's not worth that much money, or you could buy all the other ships of that type in that "town" and then resell them at 5x the price and people would probably buy them because they're to lazy to go to the next "town" over and buy the same ship at the 'regular' price. This is why I love EVE, so many options

MEEBO17

Mar 3, 2010
I've had the same problem with Skyrim. Hopefully some of the post-apocalyptic games coming out this year like The Last of Us and I Am Alive will change this.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
not having fun with skyrim there's a mod for that

seriously there's a bunch of mods that alter weight and value of items so there should be a combination that appeals to you

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
Epitome said:
I like when a game can encourage you to use self-imposed restrictions, two good examples come to mind.

My first play-through of DE:HR I played on hard mode and I went for the pacifist achievement (complete the game with no kills beyond the bosses) and the foxiest of the hounds (set off no alarms). I fucking loved that play-through of the game. I did all the sidequests and even though I was rolling in praxis kits I was still heavily limited. I started a fresh play-through recently to get the other achievements I missed first play-through, so boring compared to my first run, now I just whip out a silenced AR and gun down anybody in my way :/

Another good game is called Eschalon 2, old school isometric RPG with turn based gameplay. Real old school and worth a look if you want something in the vain of BG2 but have run out of the usuals like PS:T and NW's. Anyway at the start of the game you can select self imposed rules that determine the difficulty setting. Kind of like NV's HC mode but much harder, they add a score multiplier to the end of the game. There's also a list of achievements in-game that reward a playstyle. So for example playing as a mage there's an achievement for never using a melee or bow attack, there are achievements for pacifism etc all that just multiply your end score. Your free to deviate if you ever want to but you loose the score multiplier.

The problem of fixing the economy is just too tough in games like Skyrim, the infinite supply of enemies and therefore loot will throw any economy out of whack straight away. I think the best solution is just to set up self-imposed voluntary rules.
I agree with this. I usually base what my characters do on their personality: some of my characters don't look bodies, that is completely in bad taste. Shrines/urns? Also not for grabs. Live off the land, make my own potions, etc.

That's my natural way to play the game. Been doing it most of my life-including things like not jumping on koopas cause I like them.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
McMouse said:
you know, Ive been playing a lot of Star trek online since it became Free2play, and ive started playing with the economy, more then actually playing the game, i like digging through the exchange for people selling stuff at dirt prices buying then selling higher for profit, or in there Dilithium exchange, just buy low sell high, as it acts like a stock market. i have to much money, and the more i throw away the bigger the pile gets.
In general, MMOs tend to have more tightly regulated economies than most games, so getting rich is more an element of personal effort.

Now, that said, STO's economy is hideously broken. I've managed to amass over two million EC in a couple hours before. Even before F2P, there weren't enough credit sinks, so by the time you made LtCmdr, you could easily outfit your entire awayteam in Mk4 gear, and continue to do so as you hit higher tiers.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
mastermarty said:
You want a game that will make you work for your gold? Try Europa Universalis III. That game is just a management course in disguise.
Actually this is a game where, in vanilla, it is a major problem unless you play a very backwards country. All you have to do is play conservatively for a bit to keep your inflation down and get your research up and then you will have plenty of money to do whatever you want. Even if you are a backwards country as long as you have any large European counties trying to colonize you early on you will still be very well off compared to your neighbors. There are mods to fix this but thats true for Skyrim too.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
in games like Skyrim and Fallout, i Rarely buy anything not even stimpacks and steal everything. even on Master and Very Hard i never have a issue

mastermarty

Feb 13, 2010
I just started playing the game, so I'm not that good with economy and stuff. My inflation is sky high, and I can barely afford any troops. But maybe it gets easier the more you play it.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
Personally I feel the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series proves you wrong about the getting too rich part. Have you tried it?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Cranky said:
Personally I feel the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series proves you wrong about the getting too rich part. Have you tried it?
What, you mean like in Call of Pripyat when with the second scanner you can get an ungodly amount of really expensive artefacts in pretty much any zone with anomalies? That S.T.A.L.K.E.R?
Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but it's piss easy to get rich in that. Haven't played the others though, so I wouldn't know.