Dangerous Gypsy horse race in Ireland.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
370999 said:
Rastien said:
370999 said:
lRookiel said:
I really hope they got arrested for that, it's just plain dangerous.

I'm not particularly fond of Travellers, they are a shady bunch, plus they own caravans which means I automatically dislike them.

>.>

<.<
Travellers aren't gypsies.
Unlucky son :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

Travellers are a bunch of ethnic Irish chaps, while the Roma are who the term Gypsy usually refers to.

Often incorrectly made out to be the same but they aren't.
Yeah... except for the fact that the term gypsy has been culturally assimilated into the english language to refer to travelers.

Now it is Romani peoples and "gypsies" that are different, at least in the UK.

Zingtea said:
370999 said:
Zingtea said:
I thought the Escapist community was a bit less racist than this. Well, the more you know.
How can I be racist towards my own race? They are the same ethnicity as me.
I think it's safe to say anyone who throws the g-word around as much as I've seen here is racist.
Using the word gypsy isn't racist. Grow up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zingtea said:
370999 said:
Zingtea said:
I thought the Escapist community was a bit less racist than this. Well, the more you know.
How can I be racist towards my own race? They are the same ethnicity as me.
I think it's safe to say anyone who throws the g-word around as much as I've seen here is racist.
Gypsy = racist?

Since when?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Holy shit you people drive like crazyasses where ever the hell that was happening. All over the damn roads...do people not understand wtf a lane is there?!

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Well they are extremely lucky this isn't America, they would shoot the guys and the horses, then sue them.
Nah, the worst that could've happened was getting caught in a explosion cause by a roadside car bomb...And if they were protestant, shot and beaten.

Zingtea

Feb 17, 2010
Blablahb said:
Zingtea said:
Why don't you first present us proof that everybody who accurately refers to these people as gypsies did so with racist intentions? Pointing fingers arbitrarily is after all a bit silly.
That's like calling you a racist because you typed the word 'racist' in your post.
There's intent in racist behavior when you refuse to acknowledge it. It doesn't make sense to say that you didn't mean to be racist, and therefore all the slurs you spouted are not racist.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
mad825 said:
Mr.K. said:
Well they are extremely lucky this isn't America, they would shoot the guys and the horses, then sue them.
Nah, the worst that could've happened was getting caught in a explosion cause by a roadside car bomb...And if they were protestant, shot and beaten.
Crap like that only happens in the north. It also happens to Catholics btw

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Rastien said:
370999 said:
Rastien said:
370999 said:
Rastien said:
370999 said:
lRookiel said:
I really hope they got arrested for that, it's just plain dangerous.

I'm not particularly fond of Travellers, they are a shady bunch, plus they own caravans which means I automatically dislike them.

>.>

<.<
Travellers aren't gypsies.
Unlucky son :p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

Travellers are a bunch of ethnic Irish chaps, while the Roma are who the term Gypsy usually refers to.

Often incorrectly made out to be the same but they aren't.
Unlucky son wasn't directed at you x) sorry, i was curious hence why asking what the difference was and that makes sense.
Oh no, sorry I messed up when quoting you.

I get you chiefohara, it's just I prefer to call a spade a spade and all that.

Well thats okay then lad. :D

Heh, there aren't many who get the reference :) most people think I chose the name because Im a fireman

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Hehe glad i called it right :p wasn't sure if you were refrencing him or not but glad you were x)

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
I know it's the internet, but you can still offend someone, intended or not.

I found that somewhat offensive to be quite honest with you, considering my family members share ties to the gypsy community, but seeing as you apologised, I'll let that silly comment slide. :p

Public perception of Gypsies is incredibly outdated anyway, so it's no surprise that you feel that way.
I think I saw you mention that you have ties to actual, Romani gypsies, no? I think the main problem is we call travellers, the Irish ruffians, gypsies, when they aren't. IF you weren't talking about a Romani, then what I'm about to say will probably offentd you.

I have never had a positive encounter with a pikey (traveller). They are badly regarded for a reason. MAny people would never make blanket statements about most ethnic groups. I would never say all blacks are thieves or whatever. But I would happily say that almost all travellers are trouble makers.

Mr Somewhere

Mar 9, 2011
Travellers are not a race, they are a bizarre social caste... sort of. It's quite complicated. The thing is, I've never once encountered a traveller who wasn't arrogant, ignorant and intentionally offensive. I'm sure there are some nice guys out there... but it really is hard to care sometimes.

Kerboom

May 3, 2012
Colour-Scientist said:
leethal said:
I wish people would stop calling them that, it's so fucking offensive. It's like calling a black person a ******, it's just not cool. I don't think anyone complaining about the problems they have with the travelling community has too much credibility when they start calling them knackers.
It's offensive to them, yeah, but they're offensive to fucking EVERYONE.

It's not like calling a black person a ******, it's like calling a scumbag a scumbag. They're scum. That's that.

Edit: Also, the people in the video were travellers, not gypsies.

PromethianSpark

Mar 27, 2011
It has recently been proven that travellers have been distinct from the Irish population for a 1000 years, and so constitute and ethnic group genetically. More importantly, from a sociological perspective, ethnicity has little to do with genetics, but group practices and intergroup boundaries.

PromethianSpark

Mar 27, 2011
Spot1990 said:
Ok but if it has to do with "group practices" it's still ok to dislike them if those practices are objectionable and generally harm others.
I am not defending traveller culture. I am aware of the scenarios you described, and have had several run ins with them b4, often violent encounters. However, my point is that if this video was any other ethnicity, it would be a viral video that everyone thinks is epic. Because it is travellers we condemn it, and therefore we aren't really judging this particular practice, we are just being racist

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
PromethianSpark said:
Spot1990 said:
Ok but if it has to do with "group practices" it's still ok to dislike them if those practices are objectionable and generally harm others.
I am not defending traveller culture. I am aware of the scenarios you described, and have had several run ins with them b4, often violent encounters. However, my point is that if this video was any other ethnicity, it would be a viral video that everyone thinks is epic. Because it is travellers we condemn it, and therefore we aren't really judging this particular practice, we are just being racist
That's neither fair nor accurate. if this were any other ethnicity, people would condemn it just as equally.

My gripe is that this behaviour is ignored or tolerated because they are members of the travelling community. If you and i had an illegal road race in the morning with a dozen 'settled' friends, we'd all be charged and thrown in prison. As it stands only one person has been arrested for this, and all his mates were out celebrating in my local pub bragging because the video made the news. They got away with it, and they'll get away with it the next time they do it, because no one including the guards will say 'boo' to them.

Terrifying horses, driving on the wrong side of the road, endangering cars with children is far from epic. It's monumentally stupid, selfish and dangerous, and just because the culprits in this instance were travellers DOES NOT mean that their behaviour should be any less condemned or excused.