Dark Souls Dev Apologizes for Technical Difficulties

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I bought Dark Souls yesterday. I thought I'd give myself more time, since I only beat Demon's Souls in October. But every game I've been playing lately just feels so easy (mostly because they are games that I've played over and over and just know how to properly build my character and use my abilities). I don't know when I'll actually start it, but it'll probably be sometime before Mass Effect 3 comes out.

I bought it on PS3 because I heard the 360 version has some bad lag. Is that an issue on the PS3 as well? Anyway, it's refreshing to see some humility. Though it makes me feel a little bad when it comes from a developer with such a pristine record. These guys care about their work.

Bishop99999999

Dec 6, 2007
Hey there's only so much you can do on a console.

Now, as for that little bug that delayed your soul flask use by a second, that is something that needs to be apologized for.

The thing I genuinely hated was fighting Ornstein and Smough, distancing yourself just enough to take a swig and dodge out of the way just in time, but then pressing the button and having nothing happen. I knew damn well what was about to occur, so I had a second or two of horror/rage to enjoy before Smough's hammer had its way with my ass while I was wetting my whistle.

Thanks guy.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Burst6 said:
If you truly want to make it up to me, make a dark souls 2, and continue the story. Give us a chronicle of what happens after
Our main character becomes dark lord. Ignore those guys who rekindled the flame. They're losers
According to the developers; "The Dark Lord ending is the true ending".
My only problems with the game is I could never get the online to work right. It was dramatically better after the patch, but still not good.
I refuse to believe there's nobody who wants to summon me, and nobody who has sinned for me to invade every damn time.

Trag Oul

Aug 4, 2010
I'm pretty sure I and many others would welcome another souls game. Props for being humble too. Now how about an expansion or a n/a release of those smexy psn dynamic themes? Or adding the meat clever/funky tetrahedron helmet so I can finally make pyramid head.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I had to give on on this game and "Demon's Souls" for various problems so it's nice to see that they are working on the issues.

My big issue with the games themselves is that I don't associate difficulty with cheapness. Some aspects of the game are not so much thinking outside the box, or using odd tactics yourself, but hoping your not done in by the RNG guiding the AI. Doing the same areas at times I have found it laughably easy, or almost arbitrarly homicidal by pure chance based on what the AI decided to do, as I fundementally did the same things. Since I can't always see what the AI is doing given that the bad guys are not always visible to you, it's not a matter of adapting to tactics. Something as simple as whether a mob is going to jump off a roof or stay up there and throw firebombs at me, or if he's even going to be visible if it goes with the firebomb option isn't really a difficulty issue.

Perhaps my biggest problem though is the god awful magic system. I'm a guy who calls himself "Therumancer" online, I like to play mages. I feel like these games punish me for this, and ultimatly wind up forcing me to assume a kind of hybrid warrior-mage role, with far more focus on the "warrior" aspect. At least "Demon's Souls" had an option that let you start with a mana-regen ring to make a spellcasting based approach viable, but really in "Dark Souls" magic is too limited a commodity, especially starting out, to make it your de-facto method of play. The difficulty of obtaining new spells (well relatively, since you have to rescue NPCs) also leads you in the warrior direction at least for a while. Selecting "mage", or "pyromancer" still means your probably going to be using a lot of sword or spearwork.

The above doesn't have much to do with difficulty, it's just that I get miffed at Sword and Sorcery games where I can't focus on Sorcery as a viable gameplay choice.

I probably would have appreciated "Dark Souls" more if it had used the mana system, and given all characters a mana regen abillity scaled with some of the attributes, and at least a few decent "mage-type" spellcasting options from the getgo. Instead of armor let me use a magical force field that has parity, instead of weapons make it so I can just as easily wield a barrage of magical attacks and aim them at the same needed locations on the baddies. It's a conceptual thing.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well my technical issues during my playthroughs of Dark Souls were either minor or due to my PS3 having a herp attack due to it being nearly 6 years old now.

So all is forgiven, just keep up the good work, make PC ports in future, and dont lose sight on what the games are about.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
DustyDrB said:
I bought Dark Souls yesterday. I thought I'd give myself more time, since I only beat Demon's Souls in October. But every game I've been playing lately just feels so easy (mostly because they are games that I've played over and over and just know how to properly build my character and use my abilities). I don't know when I'll actually start it, but it'll probably be sometime before Mass Effect 3 comes out.

I bought it on PS3 because I heard the 360 version has some bad lag. Is that an issue on the PS3 as well? Anyway, it's refreshing to see some humility. Though it makes me feel a little bad when it comes from a developer with such a pristine record. These guys care about their work.
I've witnessed a bit of lag during online co-op and pvp, on both the PS3 and 360 versions. It's only really an issue during pvp when people 'teleport' behind you for a backstab (there will be screaming!). From what I have experienced there is little to no difference between the two versions. It's nice to see total consistency in a game between two systems.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
The game launched with 3 major problems:
1) Input delay.
2) Target lock was all busted.
3) A couple of exploits that ruined pvp for a while.

Those were the real issues, not the framerate in upper Blight town for 20 minutes of gameplay. I do hope they make more games in the series and ship them in a solid state, since both games are probably my favorites this console generation. And I do hope they keep the game's massive level scale. Looking down from the bridges of Blight town, gazing at Ash Lake from Tomb of Giants, the entirety of Lost Izalith... those are moments that are unforgettable exactly because of their scale.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Crippling technical issues? Sure, there was a bit of slowdown in Blighttown and some minor glitches here and there, but nothing major. Not to mention Blighttown was a impressively sized area if you think about it. The whole swamp area at the bottom, not to mention the bridge and walkways up above. The game doesn't have loading screens between areas, making the game's rather large world seamless. By standards of other recent RPG's it was relatively bug free.

Sheesh, the way he talks it's like they released the game as a total fucking mess and they're still patching up the issues. Compare that mentality to that of Bethesda when it comes to glitches and technical issues in their games.
Yeah, I'd like to see Todd Howard apologize for the state of Skyrim. That'll never happen, though. >_>
OP: I experienced some lag in Blighttown, that's it. Your game ran fine aside from that. And seeing as how there aren't any loading screens and the world is seamless, that is pretty damn impressive. Make another one. Pretty please?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Simonoly said:
DustyDrB said:

I've witnessed a bit of lag during online co-op and pvp, on both the PS3 and 360 versions. It's only really an issue during pvp when people 'teleport' behind you for a backstab (there will be screaming!). From what I have experienced there is little to no difference between the two versions. It's nice to see total consistency in a game between two systems.
There is worse lag on the 360 copy for some users. I've seen a player have no lag like the PS3 version and I've seen a player have some pretty bad lag.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
To be honest the lag was the only real issue I had with the game. Didn't they say they were going to patch it?

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Haha reminds me of this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9062-The-Bad-News

No need to seek forgiveness, you guys have made some truly great games. Just keep 'em coming!

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
But what will they call the game? Dead Souls has been claimed by Yakuza!
Impossible to make a sequel!

... Damp Souls?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
if he wants forgiveness he needs to make Dark Souls 2 and release it for PS3, 360, and PC by the end of this year.
he also needs to get in contact with the creator from Berserk and Vampire Hunter D to give us more monster designs and perhaps add some darkness to the story :)

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
I don't remember having technical difficulties while playing but i forgive you anyway. Now, please make another Dark Souls.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
The lag was really nothing to worry about. There were a few items that were tremendously fixed in a patch, and you could screw yourself as an archer if you killed the one and only NPC that sold cheap arrows.

SO: PLEASE MAKE MORE SOULS GAMES

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
There was really only one bit of slow down I experienced and that was in one section in Blighttown. And even then, you can potentially skip that part in the game if you have the Master Key.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
And this is a pretty good reason why we need a new console generation. Especially one that isn't so damn RAM bound.

I had quite a bit of stutter/slow down in several parts of Blighttown as well as Londo Ruins.