Dark Souls PC port to use GFWL

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
gigastar said:
Thats whats really eating me worse than those parasite things i picked up in the Demon Ruins.

I want a PC version because i signed that petition for the porting to be done, that and unless Namco hears the strife over the GfWL, this port will release pretty much at the hieght of summer, where my boredom levels peak so badly that Lord of the Rings: Conquest begins to look like a good way to kill time.

Ill have to plan some timed game buying in an attempt to get around this.
Oh god... LotR: Conquest is NEVER a good way to kill time, ever.

Why not do what I plan on doing and break out an older console? I'm going back to my happy PS2 days, where we got full games for our money and didn't have to worry about being milked by devs... Okami, KH1 and 2... Dragon Quest 8...

Seriously, Gen 6 movement, let's make it a real thing.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I can't say it'd bother me much, since I pre-ordered the PS3 version. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting fucked over for this new content. I'm more concerned about whether or not us console playing early adopters are going to get that content or not. And if we do get it, how much more are we going to end up having to shell out just to get it?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
SargentToughie said:
gigastar said:
Thats whats really eating me worse than those parasite things i picked up in the Demon Ruins.

I want a PC version because i signed that petition for the porting to be done, that and unless Namco hears the strife over the GfWL, this port will release pretty much at the hieght of summer, where my boredom levels peak so badly that Lord of the Rings: Conquest begins to look like a good way to kill time.

Why not do what I plan on doing and break out an older console? I'm going back to my happy PS2 days, where we got full games for our money and didn't have to worry about being milked by devs... Okami, KH1 and 2... Dragon Quest 8...

Not a bad thought, and my PS3 is backwards compatible. However theres few PS2 games left that i want to track down that i havent already got or have been put into HD collections that i own. Hell in some cases i have both classic and HD's.

I took delivery of Devil May Cry HD this morning.
I bought Rayman 3 HD last week, also got its PS2 version.
I own Okami and God Hand as PS2 games.
I own Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 in thier original formats.
I have Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.
I have the Jak & Daxter trilogy both PS2 and thier HD rerelease.
I certainly own Star Wars: Battlefront, and its sequel.
I own both of the good Destroy All Humans games. The second sequel and spinoff never happened.

If you got anything else to contribute im all eyes to consider it.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DementedSheep said:
And I bet that if this ends up flopping they are going to blame it on piracy.
Of course. What else are publishers, distributors and developers going to do? Admit they made fucking idiotic choices because they didn't bother to check the actual market they're trying to sell to?

GfWL isn't a deal breaker for me but it has dropped Dark Souls from a Must Buy to a "Wait and See How Badly GfWL Fucks Things Up" deal.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
ExiusXavarus said:
I can't say it'd bother me much, since I pre-ordered the PS3 version. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting fucked over for this new content. I'm more concerned about whether or not us console playing early adopters are going to get that content or not. And if we do get it, how much more are we going to end up having to shell out just to get it?
Isn't it just a few new bosses?

OT: I'll admit, I laughed hard. A friend of mine who played many hours on the PS3 version was so excited when he heard of the port, and he really, really hates GFLW..
Something about an entirely new episode. Artorias of the Abyss, something along that line. And whole new area and a few new bosses. I saw a 3D render of a creature that is in the game's artbook, but never made it into the final copy of the game. And if they're going to take the content that they ripped from the final copy of the game, and turn it into additional content for the PC port, I'm going to feel a bit cheated. And I can probably already guess where the new area's at, too.

SargentToughie

Jun 14, 2008
gigastar said:
Not a bad thought, and my PS3 is backwards compatible. However theres few PS2 games left that i want to track down that i havent already got or have been put into HD collections that i own. Hell in some cases i have both classic and HD's.

I took delivery of Devil May Cry HD this morning.
I bought Rayman 3 HD last week, also got its PS2 version.
I own Okami and God Hand as PS2 games.
I own Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 in thier original formats.
I have Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.
I have the Jak & Daxter trilogy both PS2 and thier HD rerelease.
I certainly own Star Wars: Battlefront, and its sequel.
I own both of the good Destroy All Humans games. The second sequel and spinoff never happened.

If you got anything else to contribute im all eyes to consider it.
Dragon Quest 8 is an absolutely phenomenal RPG, it basically reshaped my expectations of what a JRPG should be, and is the standard by which I've judged every other RPG since.

Tales of the abyss is also supposedly pretty kick-ass too, I plan on Amazon.com-ing it when I go Gen 6.

We're getting a bit off topic though, if you want me to, I could open up a thread to let other people in on the concept. Lemme know through PM.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
ExiusXavarus said:

If it was published by a cool company like CD Projekt and on a platform where the network owners don't have seizures over the idea of free content, you'd be good. (The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition ahoy!)

From what I've heard From Software are pretty cool... so that's a point in favour of console owners getting the extra content for free...

However, their distributor outside of Japan is Namco-Bandai, who are arseholes... plus certain console network owners despise the idea of free content. Those are points against it being free.

It all comes down to how much From Software wants to give the extra content to owners of the console versions and how big their balls are.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Enjoy your zombie PC.

Lets not go overboard. Origin is worse than GFWL and you know it.
GFWL prevented me from making save games in Fallout 3 50% of the time.

I can at least make save games on my Origin games consistently.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
The thing that amazes me the most is that people begged for a PC port and now they refuse to buy it because of GFWL.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
imahobbit4062 said:
SargentToughie said:
gigastar said:

You're kidding right? LOTR Conquest was fucking fun. Only if you were doing campaign missions with a lot of grunts to kill. Instant matches with warriors was fucking annoying due to nonstop blocking.
Hes not and im not. LotR: Conquest is an inferior take on Star Wars: Battlefront due packing less variety than than a game 8 years its senior, butchering the general appeal of the LotR series and having some of the worst controls ive seen in a hack and slash for years.

The only reason i havent destroyed my copy to save someone else the misery of rebuying it and playing it is because its my current "Dwarf Bread" standard. The one game in my possesion that is shit enough to make the other slightly less than decent games i own look better for replay value, yet is not so shit that i feel it makes the overall quality of my collection suffer for its mere existence.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
This really sucks. However, I probably will still buy the game anyway, so long as there are no other issues with the port, and even if there are, I may just wait until they drop the price.

That said, as awesome as having new content is, I really hope that console players have access to it, either as a free update or a reasonably priced DLC. No one should be locked out of content because of their choice of platform.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Yes, but what would you rather have: buggy games or your computer being part of a botnet?
Well since I already use Steam, whic monitors all the shit I do while playing Steam games anyways.

i would want neither personally.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
As I stated when I originally signed the petitions for a PC port. I refuse to buy any game with DRM. This includes DRM like STEAM. Its just not worth it to me anymore because it gives me an inferior experience (and thats assuming that the port will be a good one).

captcha: Heated debate

Yeah its probably going to get there captcha

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Gorilla Gunk said:
Not going to lie, I do find it massively funny (and kind of sad) that there's already another petition to get rid of GFWL, not to mention a ton of people who probably did sign the petition saying they won't buy the game anymore.

If you guys keep making petitions for every little thing Namco Bandai might start to rethink this whole thing.
I doubt it, the PC port is probably pretty much finished by now.
I meant for future Souls games.