Dark Souls Port Brings Console Problems to PC

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
It's not a matter of holding out for a PC version. Unlike industry folk some of us only have one platform and not the money to own several platforms. True, the cost of one high-end PC could get you two or three consoles, but I can't earn a living with those. Regardless of reasons for getting the PC version, there might be some fan effort that succeeds where From Soft failed.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Wow, After reading some of the comments here I am ashammed to call my self a PC gamer.

You are getting the same freaking game plus new added content for FREE. I can't count how many times I replayed Dark Souls on my PS3 and still enjoy the hell out of it despite some of it flaws. Like the framedrop rate in Blighttown, Fuck that place. So it won't run perfectly fine in 1900x1200 resolution or higher the 30 fps, So what? It is still a great game.

And here I thought the whole PC gamer elitist was a exaggeration or what the "extreme" ones where called. But apperently not.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
So I'm up to 30 FPS and static resolution? The internet is in ruins!

Naw, seriously. I don't even have a dedicated gaming PC and my laptop hardly gets to 25 FPS on newer games even when I window them 1260x720. And it usually looks kinda shit anyway. So, uh yeah, not really a deal-breaker for me, since as things stand I won't be able to max DS:ptD anyway :D
Might be a problem if your main source of enjoyment comes from pretty pictures on your screen but I like myself some story and gameplay.
Well 30FPS might meant you won't see every twitch of your enemies toe, but console gamers got through the game alright, so what's the biggie?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
So basically, the PC user base gets the same excellent game as on the consoles but with slightly smoothed out frame rate issues plus extra content. Hmmm... well, that actually sounds like more than was being asked for. As I understand it anyway, the request/demand was for the game to come to the PC as opposed to being console exclusive and now it has.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I saw the game's graphics on the consoles so even if they are low fidelity compared to what a PC can put out,I will still get the game to try it out.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
This just in - Japanese Studio Cannot Approach Porting to PC Easily.

Why is this news? Every single time someone from Capcom to From Software try their hand at porting a big seller to the PC market, a slew of problems crop up. There's this cultural tendency in Japanese devs to code their own engines - which is admittedly changing nowadays, but still does happen - and then scratch their heads when their home-made engine turns out to be next-to-impossible to transfer to PC without some elements being thrown out the window.

I really can't wait for the days when the industry as a whole will have embraced one or two very specific engine solutions; preferrably Epic Games' efforts on the subject. I remember Resident Evil 4's PC port and how laughably bad it was.

Capcom: "Shaders? What shaders? PC gamers don't need no shaders, hater! FLAT, EVEN LIGHTNING EVERYWHERE LIKE A BAWS!"

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
gigastar said:
Except for Games for Windows Live the PC version of Dark Souls is pretty much unrolling as id expect from a... 'rushed' PC port from a developer making its first foray into PC games with a publisher almost wholly unfamiliar to PC games.

My only personal issue is getting a controller, meaning i have to download that thing that lets me use a PS3 controller as a PC gamepad.

Supernova1138 said:
Pfft, might as well not release it on PC at all then. Given the fact the game is locked at 720p and 30FPS since they can't take the time to fix that, I doubt the bug testing is going to be that great either. The port is probably going to be a buggy mess that crashes every 5 minutes.

Hell, we might even have a contender for a worse port than GTA IV here.
If the game was a fetid mess i doubt that Eurogamer would have been able to provide us with the heads up about the FPS.
google motionjoy offline, most of the time i just run my ds3 in xbox 360 mode since 90% of games are solely designed to recognize the xbox pads, but you can run it as ds3 or tm or we custom profile you want with mj. just make sure you find the offline one since the online one sucks when your net goes out.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
thethird0611 said:
Carnagath said:
A great change for the industry is coming. Its called PC gamers now see why you dont petition a developer who explicitly states, 'Hey, we suck at PC ports', and hope for freaking Crysis on their computer.

Oh my, you get EXACTLY the same as console gamers, as well as FREE, let me say again, -FREE- content that consoles have to pay for.

Man, they suck so much. Its all their fault and they should tank so every developer knows not to listen to the PC crowd about porting console games.

To everyone else, I support porting, but I mean cmon, if you dont support this developer, alot of developers wont bother. From Software seriously took a chance because of the PC petition, and im glad about that.
PC Gamers also get the game $20 cheaper then us that bought the game for consoles got. :/

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
1024x 720. DO they even make monitors that low res anymore... and a 30fps cap... well thats a non purchase. I wasn't expecting tessellation or dx11 features or anything but surely they would at least support an HD resolution with a decent framerate.

Dec 14, 2009
You guys wanted Dark Souls, you're getting it, warts and all.

The game isn't going to be worse on PC, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version, the version you petitioned so hard to get.

And you get free DLC.

fwiffo

Sep 12, 2011
The frame rate issues are my biggest concern, so I'll be picking this up, when it goes on sale of course ;). Damn steam giving me cheap games, so I don't have time for this.

Rabid Toilet

Mar 23, 2008
This whole Dark Souls port thing is being blown way out of proportion.

News sites are making it out to be garbage that no one should buy, that the developers are rushing out a crappy port to make money, that the result is an unplayable mess. The reality is that PC gamers get the exact same game that consoles have. The exact same, perfectly playable, perfectly fine looking game we've been playing for so long.

But because the port isn't superior to the original, this is apparently unacceptable. Now, the game will likely not sell very well because of everyone being led to believe the port is crap. Say goodbye to getting PC ports of future titles. Apparently the same as everyone else just isn't good enough.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Not being able to change the resolution is terrible especially for people with multi monitor setups , because generally if the game is not set to the correct resolution for the monitors then it will try to shove itself across the middle of both which looks just shitty.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
thethird0611 said:
Carnagath said:
A great change for the industry is coming. Its called PC gamers now see why you dont petition a developer who explicitly states, 'Hey, we suck at PC ports', and hope for freaking Crysis on their computer.

Oh my, you get EXACTLY the same as console gamers, as well as FREE, let me say again, -FREE- content that consoles have to pay for.

Man, they suck so much. Its all their fault and they should tank so every developer knows not to listen to the PC crowd about porting console games.

To everyone else, I support porting, but I mean cmon, if you dont support this developer, alot of developers wont bother. From Software seriously took a chance because of the PC petition, and im glad about that.
Your post is devoid of meaning and full of unnecessary exaggeration. Asking for a port that isn't capped at 30 FPS and where you can actually change the resolution is not "asking for Crysis". Also, "free" DLC (which serves as a promotional incentive for the game's release and seeks to draw in mainly people who have already played the game) does not make a bad port suddenly good. And yes, every developer should know that PC gamers have certain expectations out of a full-price game, such as for it to support some customization that allows you to utilize your hardware to a degree. If you fail to satisfy those expectations, then people will not pay full price for your game. It's pretty simple really.

Dec 14, 2009
Rabid Toilet said:

News sites are making it out to be garbage that no one should buy, that the developers are rushing out a crappy port to make money, that the result is an unplayable mess. The reality is that PC gamers get the exact same game that consoles have. The exact same, perfectly playable, perfectly fine looking game we've been playing for so long.

But because the port isn't superior to the original, this is apparently unacceptable. Now, the game will likely not sell very well because of everyone being led to believe the port is crap. Say goodbye to getting PC ports of future titles. Apparently the same as everyone else just isn't good enough.
Indeed.

I don't want to toss around the term ungrateful, but...

Look, at best, it's going to have a lightly smoother framerate, with free DLC. While at it's worst, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version.

I don't see the issue here.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Rabid Toilet said:

Indeed.

I don't want to toss around the term ungrateful, but...

Look, at best, it's going to have a lightly smoother framerate, with free DLC. While at it's worst, it's going to be exactly the same as the console version.

I don't see the issue here.
Ungrateful? At least you didn't say ..entitled. *GASP* [http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7qtdetHGF1r9og92o4_250.gif]

Yeah, pretty much the same as what you guys said. I enjoyed the game on the console so if it's basically the same thing but on PC I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to enjoy it.

Maybe this experience will help them improve any future ports they make.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
Carnagath said:
thethird0611 said:
Carnagath said:

Your post is devoid of meaning and full of unnecessary exaggeration. Asking for a port that isn't capped at 30 FPS and where you can actually change the resolution is not "asking for Crysis". Also, "free" DLC (which serves as a promotional incentive for the game's release and seeks to draw in mainly people who have already played the game) does not make a bad port suddenly good. And yes, every developer should know that PC gamers have certain expectations out of a full-price game, such as for it to support some customization that allows you to utilize your hardware to a degree. If you fail to satisfy those expectations, then people will not pay full price for your game. It's pretty simple really.
Wow, so I dont know why I keep talking, probably because you started your rebuttal with "What you said is useless because im so much better than you".

No, you sir, are full of exaggeration and elitism. You think that you deserve something better just because you can. You dont take into account that the developer specifically said they are not good at ports.

You are saying this game is crap just because its the SAME SAME SAME SAME SAME game as the console version. PLUS, it has FREE content, ability to MOD, and 20 dollars LESS than when we first got it.

No, you have a false sense of entitlement (im sure this is apply-able here) just because you play on a PC. The world of gaming does not revolve around the PC area, and just because you cant have EVERYTHING you want from a freaking AWESOME game, then you decide "Oh, I want this developer to tank because they went OUT OF THEIR WAY for PC gamers in the first place.

Yeah, exaggerated my ass.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Hmm it would not be too bad if you could set the resolution. Dont forget kids you can override a games defaults by creating a profile in the nvidia control panel. Not sure what you stinkin reds do but i am sure that AMD/ATI would have something the same.

I can also just get it on steam and you know have it work rather than having to install the game to a slow ass hardrive and then update my firmware, i also dont have to fat finger in a huge code with a controller

I think i know who wins